Author Topic: gear drive reverse diff  (Read 11216 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: gear drive reverse diff
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 08:56:58 PM »
Quaiffe stuff is $$$$$$$ and works well in track cars. IMO,they aren't robust enough for offroad. Therein lies the issue with designing something of similar size-durability. Ds's point about the offset in the car is a very difficult obstacle as well.No matter how narrow the trans ,the short axle side will be very limited wheel travel.   Of course,if starting with a new sheet of paper the trans input coule be offset a LONG way and put it back on centerline....................hmmmmm. All that adds weight though. Do you anticipate your design weighing in at less than a jeffco-around 100pounds?

When I was investigating the possibilities of designing a trans ,capable of offroad ,fairly high hp and slightly heavier than normal car weight, I finally came to the conclusion I didn't need to reinvent the wheel. I now have a lot of final drive ratios to be chosen from and have 4 of them on tap at the throw of a shifter lever at all times . 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 06:02:24 AM »
Theres a guy on MBN that's using a RPM box I believe to a zx14.  Hes tapped bottom of Rpm box for an oil line that goes to a small pump and thru a cooler back to top of box.  Increased oil cap and cooling plus the return line is to top input shaft and its bearing.  There were some bearings being used by Dan that were smaller balls in larger race.  Newer box have been swapped to larger size and easy swap on older ones.  This guys box also runs an outside input shaft bearing to reduce stress on shaft.  Also the case is being cut from billet alum instead of cast stuff.  I don't have a problem with chains, nor does Enemy, its the damn insides.  Being able to use something that's already mass produced gear wise will keep the price way down.  Minibuggy market is way down, and a new box with all custom stuff is gonna put it outta range $$$$ wise.  Just not enough volume now. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 06:17:19 AM »
Theres a guy on MBN that's using a RPM box I believe to a zx14.  Hes tapped bottom of Rpm box for an oil line that goes to a small pump and thru a cooler back to top of box.  Increased oil cap and cooling plus the return line is to top input shaft and its bearing.  There were some bearings being used by Dan that were smaller balls in larger race.  Newer box have been swapped to larger size and easy swap on older ones.  This guys box also runs an outside input shaft bearing to reduce stress on shaft.  Also the case is being cut from billet alum instead of cast stuff.  I don't have a problem with chains, nor does Enemy, its the damn insides.  Being able to use something that's already mass produced gear wise will keep the price way down.  Minibuggy market is way down, and a new box with all custom stuff is gonna put it outta range $$$$ wise.  Just not enough volume now.
Never was. After talking to the owner of RPM I decided there was little if any reason to produce a box like mine. The market just wasn't there. If there was a few guys wanting one................as always though no one commits.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 11:47:31 AM »
Never was. After talking to the owner of RPM I decided there was little if any reason to produce a box like mine. The market just wasn't there. If there was a few guys wanting one................as always though no one commits.

we're men...whats that  rofl
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

gap351

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 11:52:19 PM »
even the rpm box's have been seen busted from turbo busa's so they aren't bullet proof either and i have never nor have i ever read of anyone using the quaife here but not saying it hasn't been done. if they were priced right and actually held up i would've thought we would've seen more of them.

The Quiafe ones do brake but that's more to do with people trying to make them do something they were never really designed to do and really expensive  but there are a few thousand of them out there

gap351

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 12:39:52 AM »
Quaiffe stuff is $$$$$$$ and works well in track cars. IMO,they aren't robust enough for offroad. Therein lies the issue with designing something of similar size-durability. Ds's point about the offset in the car is a very difficult obstacle as well.No matter how narrow the trans ,the short axle side will be very limited wheel travel.   Of course,if starting with a new sheet of paper the trans input coule be offset a LONG way and put it back on centerline....................hmmmmm. All that adds weight though. Do you anticipate your design weighing in at less than a jeffco-around 100pounds?

When I was investigating the possibilities of designing a trans ,capable of offroad ,fairly high hp and slightly heavier than normal car weight, I finally came to the conclusion I didn't need to reinvent the wheel. I now have a lot of final drive ratios to be chosen from and have 4 of them on tap at the throw of a shifter lever at all times .

the offset one is really lite   around 50 pounds, its the one used by radical sports cars. The one used by rage buggy's is centrally mounted and weighs about 60 pounds they don't seem to brake cases just splines and gears so add a bigger diff carrier and stronger gears it should be around 90 pounds

gap351

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 12:57:33 AM »
as far as the market goes it not just buggy's its reversing diff for motorcycle engine vehicles  its getting bigger all the time ,and when you search on the internet for options rpm and jeffco web sites  don't show up in the results Quaife is at the top of the list ,just maybe in this day and age they may need to look at there internet presence a little bit, its an international market   

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 05:55:31 AM »
You are ,IMO,talking about 2 entirely different market needs. Yes,I agree there are a lot of quaiffe units used very successfully,just not in an offroad buggy. Must be a reason for that.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 06:24:36 AM »
there was a company building specifically for the bike world over here in the usa but he has closed his doors from lack of business. not enough call in the usa for that...... where over sea's, maybe still or a lot more?.  now the jeffco and rpm will work great for 90% of the people out there but the rest that like to really ride will be disappointed and left stranded!! but those same 90% have swapped rails for utv's cause they knew how to use a pen lol actually because they don't know how to fix them. for whatever reason the market has shifted that way here so prob heading that way over sea's soon enough.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

gap351

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 02:12:58 PM »
You are ,IMO,talking about 2 entirely different market needs. Yes,I agree there are a lot of quaiffe units used very successfully,just not in an offroad buggy. Must be a reason for that.

there are a lot them in off road buggy's just not your type of off road buggy's most places in world don't have the sand dunes like you do .we have one place left and there probably going to stop anyone from driving on them soon because they think were making them smaller and just want to look at them .

gap351

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2015, 02:31:24 PM »
there was a company building specifically for the bike world over here in the usa but he has closed his doors from lack of business. not enough call in the usa for that...... where over sea's, maybe still or a lot more?.  now the jeffco and rpm will work great for 90% of the people out there but the rest that like to really ride will be disappointed and left stranded!! but those same 90% have swapped rails for utv's cause they knew how to use a pen lol actually because they don't know how to fix them. for whatever reason the market has shifted that way here so prob heading that way over sea's soon enough.

yes true I'm not going to make a lot of money out of this but that was never the plane .

if I buy a jeffco nz $6500
if I buy a Quaife nz$ 10000 ( both of these will probably brake )
Me making one in New Zealand Under nz $4000   to days exchange rate landed in the usa ,us$3000

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »
Well,please,keep us informed as to progress.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2015, 09:21:56 PM »
always interested and yes keep us informed

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 07:02:47 AM »
I have to agree with that and as the SxS market continues to expand there will be a lot more sanctioned races for them further reducing the market for custom stuff. At least  here in the US.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:05:07 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Simon

• Fabricator
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 02:55:23 PM »
This is the best effort I have seen so far. Built by Australian - Whitedragon. You can see the full build over on the other buggy forum.

He is still working out the bugs, but I think this is fantastic.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal