Author Topic: gear drive reverse diff  (Read 11218 times)

gap351

gear drive reverse diff
« on: December 04, 2015, 10:42:18 PM »
Hi All
I'm currently in the process of designing a diff with reverse (actually gearbox engineers is )and hopefully make some for sale
So if you were going to buy one what would your wish list be ?
mine ,gear or wet chain from engine quick change gears with same ratios as quick change dif 2.19-9.14 at about 200 rpm intervals as narrow as possible

Your comments would be great

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: gear drive reverse diff
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 06:20:17 AM »
Better increase your inbox size.  I know one member on here AKA (Enemy) will soon jump in.  DS Race and the big Kahuna Faber.  Although the big Kahuna has it all figured out already, he's been beating on his reverse box design for a few years and not broke it. Just need him to find the time to replicate it.   gg:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:24:37 AM by fastcorvairs »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 06:24:34 AM »
Well,sfaik ,my design is bullet proof.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 10:43:04 AM »
Hi All
I'm currently in the process of designing a diff with reverse (actually gearbox engineers is )and hopefully make some for sale
So if you were going to buy one what would your wish list be ?
mine ,gear or wet chain from engine quick change gears with same ratios as quick change dif 2.19-9.14 at about 200 rpm intervals as narrow as possible

Your comments would be great

need pics or something to know more and as narrow as possible isn't always a good idea because you have to give something up for that as in less oiling if you can keep it narrower than say 9.5" wide flange to flange then great. fabr's design as proven itself and the rubber cushion between engine and box is an absolute must as well as chainless connection imo! so if your able to stuff the reversing unit inside the diff housing then great because then one could use a dwarf car adaptor and connect via straight shaft or a double cv etc etc. now venting MUST be 1/2" line out of the diff and the if poss a locking diff with inboard brakes.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

gap351

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 05:04:38 PM »
im sort of basing  the quaife powertec unit but these don't a pear to be strong ,work ok on a nice flat race track but off road not so much and expensive don't have ratios I would like ,changing ratios also expensive ,which is why I want to use quick change gear sets .The current goal is 240 mm or about 9.5 inch face to face
Fabr's design is great ! I just prefer gear drives

this started out just building one for me and few people said if your making  one make one for me, so know im asking what others would want in this type diff and possibly produce a product

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 10:37:47 PM »
like the idea but what kind of price are you talking?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 12:11:50 AM »
I guess I'm confused. It appears you will still driving the gearbox with a chain from engine to gearbox?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

gap351

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 01:24:54 AM »
no a cushioned drive coupling of the engine ,gear drive back to the top of the  diff case and revs gears ,the pics are of the quaife of which there are a few different options its really similar to yours just all gears but it could end up with a wet chain from the engine just depends what will work best

my original designs is all gears most just from quick change gear sets and I only had to cut 3 gears ,But really I'm just asking what features you would like if there was one out worth buying I still haven't found one especially when power levels start getting up there except for a few one of kind  units like yours .
I cant really tell you what it will be or look like yet till I talk to the guys designing it (this started will me asking them for a price  to cut my gears for me, they design and  build race gearbox and military stuff)

gap351

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 01:51:59 AM »
Price not sure yet  but I'm hoping  us $3-4000  it will depend a bit on diff carrier options as they  are any where between $250-3000 depending what you want but anywhere between about 700 -1400 will get a durable carrier that will work for what we do then there's lite weight gears and stuff like that  the man thing for me is that if some dose buy one it dose what we say it will 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 07:42:37 AM »
well i can tell you the stock diff out of the ford focus works well in the jeffco and would last longer had they not turned the bearing surface down to use smaller bearings than stock and left a square ledge for a stress point which is where they break if and when they break there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 10:00:01 AM »
no a cushioned drive coupling of the engine ,gear drive back to the top of the  diff case and revs gears ,the pics are of the quaife of which there are a few different options its really similar to yours just all gears but it could end up with a wet chain from the engine just depends what will work best

my original designs is all gears most just from quick change gear sets and I only had to cut 3 gears ,But really I'm just asking what features you would like if there was one out worth buying I still haven't found one especially when power levels start getting up there except for a few one of kind  units like yours .
I cant really tell you what it will be or look like yet till I talk to the guys designing it (this started will me asking them for a price  to cut my gears for me, they design and  build race gearbox and military stuff)
There is nothing similar with mine and the quaiffe units that i know of. Help us out here a bit. Is the engine mounted in the traditional way or transverse? If mounted traditionally,the engine will be offset way off center.  If transverse like mine , how you going to couple a box with a side input to it? As I said I'm now (more than) a bit confused as to what you are trying to accomplish.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

gap351

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »
well i can tell you the stock diff out of the ford focus works well in the jeffco and would last longer had they not turned the bearing surface down to use smaller bearings than stock and left a square ledge for a stress point which is where they break if and when they break there.

That's just it there all ways to close to braking and they do and as power level go up ,more speed more shock loading the problem just gets worse  .Use any thing off road it gets the shit beaten out of it

gap351

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 02:34:01 PM »
There is nothing similar with mine and the quaiffe units that i know of. Help us out here a bit. Is the engine mounted in the traditional way or transverse? If mounted traditionally,the engine will be offset way off center.  If transverse like mine , how you going to couple a box with a side input to it? As I said I'm now (more than) a bit confused as to what you are trying to accomplish.

traverse engine  similar to the unit used by rage bugs ,radical race cars and many others

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 08:11:54 PM »
based on those photo's they have 1 axle quite a bit longer than the other side and that just won't work for the rails. now if that can be corrected by mounting the motor sideways ( tranversly) as fabr's then great. i do have to say that fab's is prob the best design i have seen to date! his is quite a bit diff than anything else out there so near impossible to compare to it other than engine direction. his has rev with cush connection and 4 high low gears.  have to have more info on your design to know and i get what your aiming at from the pics but you'll only be able to offer 1 so need to narrow that down. i have seen a few with the winters gear box used and taht is a good choice.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »
even the rpm box's have been seen busted from turbo busa's so they aren't bullet proof either and i have never nor have i ever read of anyone using the quaife here but not saying it hasn't been done. if they were priced right and actually held up i would've thought we would've seen more of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal