Author Topic: Short Sand Car info needed.  (Read 4644 times)

Blacklisted

Short Sand Car info needed.
« on: January 26, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
I have an '03 SSC and need to replace my chain adjuster roller.  I need the bearings that are used for the SSC.  I can have a new delrin or whatever the roller is made out of fabricated by a buddy but just need to know what bearings are used for that thing.  Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Al

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Short Sand Car info needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:01:53 PM »
Welcome to the site. Wish I could help but I think there is a couple of guys here that may. DS ,maybe?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Blacklisted

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:14:11 PM »
Thanks.  I have been around this site before years ago but don't remember if I was ever registered.

I'm sure I could use any good bearings but not sure what mfr. is a good bearing.  Probably need a high load bearing. Anyone using bearings from mcmaster?

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 05:02:47 AM »
Is it mounted on a spring loaded arm, some kinda nylon stuff like a skateboard wheel?

In the mean time, welcome!!

And  :wwp:

We like pics, easier than reading.   ;D
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Blacklisted

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:22:33 PM »
Is it mounted on a spring loaded arm, some kinda nylon stuff like a skateboard wheel?

In the mean time, welcome!!

And  :wwp:

We like pics, easier than reading.   ;D

It is not spring loaded, uses a 3/8" bolt on slots to adjust the chain.  I think I am using delrin and have been using some bearings I found that would work.  They have lasted a couple seasons and are just some sealed bearings I found at a liquidation place and they have worked great but can't get any more now.  So in essence I am just looking for a good bearing to use for this application.  What MFR. would everyone use? 

I know pics help but can't get to the buggy in the trailer right now.

The specs on bearings I will need look to be 3/8" ID x 1 1/8" OD and can be 3/8" width to 1/2"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
Dude, your in El Cajon. Drive over to Kaman and have them match them up. Any type of sealed bearing they have will work.

Edit, Just looked it up, they are downtown now. If you don't want the drive, Mcmaster Carr and have them delivered to your door. This is My go to choice now that I am in BFE with extremely limited options.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:29:33 PM by BDKW1 »

Blacklisted

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 07:39:03 PM »
Dude, your in El Cajon. Drive over to Kaman and have them match them up. Any type of sealed bearing they have will work.

Edit, Just looked it up, they are downtown now. If you don't want the drive, Mcmaster Carr and have them delivered to your door. This is My go to choice now that I am in BFE with extremely limited options.

Thanks for the heads up, I also work at Miramar and have Marshals industrial hardware that might have something that will work.  I will check with them and go from there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »
Do you have the bearing number for what you have now?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Blacklisted

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 04:11:41 PM »
Do you have the bearing number for what you have now?

Not yet, it's still in the car in my trailer.  Working on the wife's car now and don't have the room to have both in the garage.  There might be a number on the bearing and I can try to find another set but they are not the original bearings and they might be hard to find so I want to go with a readily available bearing for ease in the future. 

I have found new bearings that should work and they are a standard size unlike the ones I have in there now.  And I will have a couple/few of the delrin rollers made so I just have to get new bearings when they wear out.

So I have a game plan and it should work, thanks again for all the help.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 09:50:16 AM »
well i hope you add the parts i emailed you a link too a last week as well as that will help keep it in place. also if you are going to have new roller made then i would suggest choosing a larger od bearing so it isn't spinning as fast which will help increase the life of the bearing.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Blacklisted

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 11:09:38 AM »
well i hope you add the parts i emailed you a link too a last week as well as that will help keep it in place. also if you are going to have new roller made then i would suggest choosing a larger od bearing so it isn't spinning as fast which will help increase the life of the bearing.

I didn't receive an email, might not have it setup in user cp.  Can you please put the links here and explain.  It has been working good but I can always improve it.  I got the 1 1/8" OD bearings the biggest they had where I got them.  Thanks again guys for the help.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 09:02:47 PM »
no a pm but an actual email , must have been another guy with a ssc with chain adjuster roller issues. he couldn't keep bearings alive or keep the roller adjusted right.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »
just went and looked and he is from indiana and named larry with a 2004 turbo busa ssc rail.   this was his question
 " Hi Brian,
Thank you for your reply. Below are pictures of the chain tensioner I am trying to replace. Besides needing the below two components bearings and the roller I really need to design some sort of method to keep the tensioner from sliding down when tighten in place. The current Larry Short Sandcar OEM system uses only the bolt tightness to hold the tensioner in place. Sure you can over tighten the bolt to secure it from moving but that results in a drag on the roller wheel and that makes heats and I think caused the bearing over heat and to fail. I really again thank you for any suggestions on a fix for my problem."

this was my answer
   "  https://www.midwestcontrol.com/series.php?id=71

https://www.midwestcontrol.com/series.php?id=182

https://www.midwestcontrol.com/series.php?id=143

i would use something along the lines of one of these  on the outside of each side and run your bolt through it. you will need to cut a couple of pieces of 90* channel and cut two slotted holes in it and weld it to those tabs. then take you delran roller and have someone with a lathe turn it smooth again where the chain left indentions in it. they are probably there because that bearing started to lock up. i don't not know why larry set a chain tensioner up that way but he did on several models. in the pic it doesn't look like you have the clearance to the motor to run that chain straight or i would say remove a link and slot 2 of the motor mount holes and use the motor for adjustment. you really should'nt need more than 3/16" slot on the motor mount tab holes and anymore than that and the chain needs replaced. a larger bearing would be a huge improvement as well too "  he included pics as well

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:14:41 PM by Dsrace »

Blacklisted

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 10:05:56 PM »
just went and looked and he is from indiana and named larry with a 2004 turbo busa ssc rail.   this was his question
 " Hi Brian,
Thank you for your reply. Below are pictures of the chain tensioner I am trying to replace. Besides needing the below two components bearings and the roller I really need to design some sort of method to keep the tensioner from sliding down when tighten in place. The current Larry Short Sandcar OEM system uses only the bolt tightness to hold the tensioner in place. Sure you can over tighten the bolt to secure it from moving but that results in a drag on the roller wheel and that makes heats and I think caused the bearing over heat and to fail. I really again thank you for any suggestions on a fix for my problem."

this was my answer
   "  https://www.midwestcontrol.com/series.php?id=71

https://www.midwestcontrol.com/series.php?id=182

https://www.midwestcontrol.com/series.php?id=143

i would use something along the lines of one of these  on the outside of each side and run your bolt through it. you will need to cut a couple of pieces of 90* channel and cut two slotted holes in it and weld it to those tabs. then take you delran roller and have someone with a lathe turn it smooth again where the chain left indentions in it. they are probably there because that bearing started to lock up. i don't not know why larry set a chain tensioner up that way but he did on several models. in the pic it doesn't look like you have the clearance to the motor to run that chain straight or i would say remove a link and slot 2 of the motor mount holes and use the motor for adjustment. you really should'nt need more than 3/16" slot on the motor mount tab holes and anymore than that and the chain needs replaced. a larger bearing would be a huge improvement as well too "  he included pics as well

OK thanks, I'm not having any of those issues.  I actually used a larger bearing and use a spacer between the bearings.  I don't remember if Larry from SSC used the spacer or not.  I just want to replace everything since I'm replacing the sprockets and chain.  Looks like I made a good decision to make my own chain tensioner.  Thanks again for the info!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal