Author Topic: Fixed 930 CV  (Read 13235 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Fixed 930 CV
« on: August 07, 2010, 04:30:38 PM »
Couple of pics showing a fixed 930CV at 20 degrees angle. Even at 30 degrees the balls are fully in their grooves. Even though they are .234" thinner they allow over 15 degrees additional angle AND will do so at much less heat buildup due to the parallel ball tracks compared to the opposing angle of the ball tracks in a standard 930. The opposing angle is IMO ,the number one cause of 930's overheating in long travel cars.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Fixed 930 CV
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 04:31:19 PM »
The fixed 930 CV is said to be good for 40 degrees BTW.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »
The main advantage of the fixed CV with it's parallel grooves is that the balls aren't trying to tear the cage apart all the time. This is also where a lot of the heat reduction comes from also........ If somebody ever tries to sell you a 4130 cage for one of those, laugh at them............

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 09:20:29 PM »
You mean for the fixed 930 right?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline sandvw

• Fabricator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 08:31:14 AM »
What do you do to fix the 930 cv?Machine work ?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 08:33:59 AM »
What do you do to fix the 930 cv?Machine work ?

Nope.  Buy them that way. I think that you can't have to much in and out movement with them.  There should be a tread on here some where about them.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 09:02:58 AM »
A fixed 930 has no plunge in it at all. I'll post some pics of a disassembled fixed 930 later today.  I don't currently have a 930 CV to post pics of tho. When I say fixed 930 I didn't mean I fixed it. I meant that it does not have plunge and as so is "fixed" . A fixed 930 is the same OD and bolt pattern as a standard 930 but is thinner in the race by .234".To run them in my midboard hubs I have to run a spacer to make up the difference. Otherwise they are a direct replacement IF you have no need for plunge in the CV. They will allow for some plunge on the spline of the axle but not more than maybe .250". So ,unless you have zero plunge or use slip joint axles you're effed. Even though my suspension geometry has literally zero plunge needed I'm still running slip joint axles to allow for any chassis/suspension deflection that does happen and not bind anything.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 10:20:42 AM »
A fixed 930 has no plunge in it at all. I'll post some pics of a disassembled fixed 930 later today.  I don't currently have a 930 CV to post pics of tho. When I say fixed 930 I didn't mean I fixed it. I meant that it does not have plunge and as so is "fixed" . A fixed 930 is the same OD and bolt pattern as a standard 930 but is thinner in the race by .234".To run them in my midboard hubs I have to run a spacer to make up the difference. Otherwise they are a direct replacement IF you have no need for plunge in the CV. They will allow for some plunge on the spline of the axle but not more than maybe .250". So ,unless you have zero plunge or use slip joint axles you're effed. Even though my suspension geometry has literally zero plunge needed I'm still running slip joint axles to allow for any chassis/suspension deflection that does happen and not bind anything.

Could a person run just one end?  Say the inboard side with the non plunge and pick up half of the forty degrees? That way with say .5 inch plunge the outboard CV would take up the plunge and the end board would not have any.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 10:56:22 AM »
No reason why not but for what purpose? If I were thinking of tat I'd run the fixed 930 on the outboard end so  I could design in some camber gain and not lose any available travel of the inboard cv. For my current car that would work just fine as at full droop I am at 25 degrees angle. Still I like the much lower heat generated by the fixed 930 so I'd still ,and am, running both ends fixed 930.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:46:05 PM »
Ok,here's the pics finally. As can be seen the ball grooves are not at alternating angles to each other as in a standard,limited to a practical 25 degrees,930 CV. Again ,it is the lack of the balls trying to fight each other  in the opposing angle ball grooves and the much lessened friction it causes that allows these to run so much cooler than a plunging/standard 930 CV AND get 40 degrees angle.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:48:06 PM by masterfabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:51:52 PM »
Anyone have a plunging 930 for a comparision pic? I don't have any of the things anymore. ;D ;D ;D and DAMN glad of it! ;) ;)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

chrishallett83

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 09:35:55 PM »
When you say 40 degrees of angle, do you mean form one extreme of deflection to the other, or either side of dead centre for 80 degrees of total movement available?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 09:41:02 PM »
I measured them at 47* down angle so 94* total if that's what your looking for.  from what I have been told you can't use 47* because there isn't a boot capable of an extended life past 40* and even then a boot good for 40* isn't your standard boot!  I have a set for my v-6 rail but have not put them on yet for other reasons.  looks good fabbr, I can't wait to see that rail in action.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 09:42:41 PM »
here is a pic of a 930 non plunge next to a plunging 930.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 09:47:16 PM »
I measured them at 47* down angle so 94* total if that's what your looking for.  from what I have been told you can't use 47* because there isn't a boot capable of an extended life past 40* and even then a boot good for 40* isn't your standard boot!  I have a set for my v-6 rail but have not put them on yet for other reasons.  looks good fabbr, I can't wait to see that rail in action.
It looks like 40 degrees even with the special boots would put a lot of stress on the boot. But most rails only need 30 -32 degrees and that is quite easily done as far as the boot is concerned it appears to me anyway.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal