Author Topic: Lil Sahara 2018 Fall trip - Oct 21 - 27  (Read 80687 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: Lil Sahara 2018 Fall trip - Oct 21 - 27
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2018, 06:58:31 PM »
Ok we are back from heaven.   The sand was rough and wet, the rain was cold and and a PITA but we had fun. The camp fires were forced air big.  Hiem was the only one to break (Toque converter plate) we think.  DS tore a CV boot on a fast trail run today, and Budlight had the battery go dead in his car. I think he had that fixed today, and I got high centered on a berm in the trails.  My HRT car did the best that it has ever did since I brought it home.  The new PBS S4 performed beyond all of my expectations. Well worth the time and cost to install it, even the wife like's it..  The only change I'll make is the front shocks need to be a little stiffer on the compression side.  All in all everyone had a super time.  Picture's and video coming later.  Thanks to all good people that helped me load and unload. And to all that cooked for the dinner. We Had fooooooooooooooooooooooood and more fooooooooooooooooooooood.  l we had fifteen people in our toy hauler nick named the Pig to stay dry.   

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2018, 07:01:05 PM »
We all feel the same. Great you had fun,Grim. It will be 100% more fun next time.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 05:55:26 AM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2018, 04:39:47 AM »
Glad everyone having a blast, it always is.  Always great when some new face come out.  Hate we missed it, we love the sand between the toes.  Cant wait to get back out!!
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2018, 05:57:13 AM »
Ok we are back from heaven.   The sand was rough and wet, the rain was cold and and a PITA but we had fun. The camp fires were forced air big.  Hiem was the only one to break (Toque converter plate) we think.  DS tore a CV boot on a fast trail run today, and Budlight had the battery go dead in his car. I think he had that fixed today, and I got high centered on a berm in the trails.  My HRT car did the best that it has ever did since I brought it home.  The new PBS S4 performed beyond all of my expectations. Well worth the time and cost to install it, even the wife like's it..  The only change I'll make is the front shocks need to be a little stiffer on the compression side.  All in all everyone had a super time.  Picture's and video coming later.  Thanks to all good people that helped me load and unload. And to all that cooked for the dinner. We Had fooooooooooooooooooooooood and more fooooooooooooooooooooood.  l we had fifteen people in our toy hauler nick named the Pig to stay dry.   
Yes,it was a good time. Even the "bad" was good this trip. Low carnage and no one got hurt.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2018, 06:34:49 PM »
well we to just got home. i got some video but not much. found out that the drive through hutch to get there is still longer but far smoother and flatter! higher speed limits shaved an hr off our drive! note to everyone.....the sign west of hutchenson kansas thats says hwy61north is not hwy61 north! its 50 east! so we went a ways out of our way and the i35 south of mcphearson is horrible lol     great trip as always! grimm, deranged....very nice to meet you 2! deranged gave mike a run with his short wheel based rail. mike was jamming those gears trying to back in the tq band as deranged was popping the rev limiter floating into 90* turns on and off the side hills as i sat in mikes pass seat laughing.  fabr.......well you looked good in that sxs  :D i know you'll have the others ready soon enough. budlight69 was a hoot especially once he hit the budlight!  rofl rofl  i did tear a cv boot or so i thought......turns out my down pipe wound up 4" short and the heat is cooking the cv boot. when we stopped and i noticed that one cv boot was balloned up then shrunk back after sitting for 5 to 10 mins i got the hint lol. did i tell anyone how much i hate playing in cv grease! the smell is worse than the mess. so i am going to change from the desert gold since they changed the blend. budlight is using molly 101 or something.....what are others using?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2018, 06:35:55 PM »
budlight took pics he can post.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2018, 11:56:00 PM »
Neo Synthetics CV500 CV Grease 12.5 oz. Caulking Tube
 Suggested: $44.99 Kartek Price: $37.99
Sold As: 1 Tube of CV Grease

Part Number: NEOCV500T

Non plunging 930's and 934's are $$$$$ mofos. This is cheap insurance. I don't do the other concoctions that probably work well but this stuff is best,IMO.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:57:43 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: October 28, 2018, 12:01:33 AM »
BTW,shove some vick's in your snout and the cv grease smell will be a thing of the past. LMAO  rofl rofl :nw :nw
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2018, 07:38:26 AM »
no vicks up the nose  rofl that burns

have you ever shot your cv's with a temp gun after you stopped?

i will be checking that cv grease out!

i have been running cat gold grease but they changed it and lowered the operating temp with the change.

this is what the formula they have gone to is.......https://caterpillar.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C10604656

this is what it used to be..........https://www.finning.com/content/dam/finning/en_ca/Documents/Parts/Maintenance-Products/Grease/Cat-Deseert-Gold.pdf

went from 450* to 284* range. the jackson boys used to use the cat gold which is where i heard about it from back when.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2018, 07:42:52 AM »
well it appears the only time i took the go pro out it wound up set on pic mode.  this was either wens morning or thurs morning. i went out twice wens morning to data log and tune but everyone came out on the second time out so i couldn't say no  :D ;)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 07:45:16 AM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2018, 08:02:57 AM »
here is a screen shot of the one time i and zoomies went out after dark to just get a live data log. it was cold that night. i had thermals on , hunting socks, a light sweater and a coat!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2018, 08:49:13 AM »
no vicks up the nose  rofl that burns

have you ever shot your cv's with a temp gun after you stopped?

i will be checking that cv grease out!

i have been running cat gold grease but they changed it and lowered the operating temp with the change.

this is what the formula they have gone to is.......https://caterpillar.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C10604656

this is what it used to be..........https://www.finning.com/content/dam/finning/en_ca/Documents/Parts/Maintenance-Products/Grease/Cat-Deseert-Gold.pdf

went from 450* to 284* range. the jackson boys used to use the cat gold which is where i heard about it from back when.
Nope,but I can usually put a bare hand on them.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
You do realize why the Cat Gold grease stinks is because the base stock is cat shit don't you?  :m The Neo stuff has some other shit in it................. ;)  :D Honestly,I believe the issue with many of the greases used is that they are too stiff and do not flow until up to quite high temps and are just wiped off the surfaces creating wear before they start flowing back onto the balls and grooves. By then the damage has begun and is repeated each time the car is used.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2018, 11:09:27 AM »
You do realize why the Cat Gold grease stinks is because the base stock is cat shit don't you?  :m The Neo stuff has some other shit in it................. ;)  :D Honestly,I believe the issue with many of the greases used is that they are too stiff and do not flow until up to quite high temps and are just wiped off the surfaces creating wear before they start flowing back onto the balls and grooves. By then the damage has begun and is repeated each time the car is used.

agreed and at the same time i have the lower temp new cat gold in. i know in the past with the prev formula that when i checked mine on a 90* ambient day i never saw over 175*. still feels about the same by touch but not the same. i am going to try a diff grease and see but regardless i need to move my down pipe and route out the back!

Offline deranged

« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2018, 05:46:49 AM »
WOW!  What a freaking blast of a time!  It was way cool to finally meet up with like minded crazy people who just have not grown up and still love to play in the sand!  Wes reminds me of a young Willie Nelson!  HAA!!! 

The hospitality of everyone there was second to none!  I'v never had 12 year old cheese before, but leave it up the the guy from Wisconsin to school us on cheese culture.

Here are some action shots from my GoPro

The big dinner on Wednesday night was awesome!  Family isn't always blood and it shows!!
There was so much awesome food too!!  WOW!  I think i'm STILL stuffed. 

It was a little wet on Wednesday, but Mitch was still able to get a fire going using tried and true Beavis and Butt-head lingo.   rofl

Heck, down here you smoke EVERYTHING, including pop-tarts.

Just some pictures from around the campground.

When a fellow duner is in need, you help out...even if you have to literally drag them out.  I thin Glen likes to play tow truck.

Glen giving instructions, or maybe a warning of a lot of sand coming his way, and possible whiplash.  LOL

And it's time to eat sand.

And loose a tire...again.

But Glens towing service comes through!

Then Brian was showing off his rear ends.   rofl

Here are some shots of the dunes.

And my total mileage after I got home on Saturday with no issues.  It's pretty cool to build a car from the ground up, thrash it for 2 years with almost zero issues and tow it 2,000 miles on a trailer that was built in my garage.

OOPS, I forgot that Doug's car was Dodge powered for a few miles.  We think it's a cracked flex plate, but knowing Doug, that will be taken care of this winter.

But I tell ya what, this couple below are some very awesome people.  To be duning together since the late 60's, and to go out there and just shred the dunes sounding like kids was awesome to see and hear.  You 2 rock!

I live nowhere near a desert....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal