Author Topic: DS a-arm kit information needed.  (Read 101965 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: DS a-arm kit information needed.
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2018, 12:46:08 PM »
Put it to the test. Hammered it in the sand this morning and like D's said we had to add air too then shocks. Car did great. He even dropped it off into a deep witches eye, recovered it,.and drove it out to

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2018, 12:47:23 PM »
More when I get home.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

78crew

« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2018, 02:41:33 PM »
I had a great time in the sand today.  The difference in the ride is night and day.  I am really pleased with how much better it drives.  Unfortunately, I was too busy driving to take any pictures but Jerry did take some video.  Maybe if I can figure it out, I will post a clip or two.  Like Fast said, I did get myself stuck at the bottom of a deep witch's eye.  I was able to self-extract and drive out.  Overall, it was lots of fun and I have the sand in my teeth to prove it.  :D  ;D :D   

I will have to decide if I want more bracing or leave it as is.  I hate to add more weight if it isn't needed.  Then again, I would hate to have my buggy fold up like a taco. bounce 

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2018, 03:08:50 PM »
The A-arm mod came out great.  One of the cleanest I have seen.  Larry, Moe and Curly should be applauded! 

On the two extra braces- Do it like DS said.  Not that much weight.  Look at your A pillar and project that line down.  It needs a brace.  Triangulation will take a shear load so much better than a square box.  just my 2 pennies

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2018, 03:51:26 PM »
oh we always want video's!!!!!!    ;D i take it your happy?  rofl i knew you would be , imo a arms beats beam any day for comfort! two 1" od tubes can't add more than 3 or 4 lbs to the nose and the extra shear strength out weighs that! do as budlight suggested you won't regret it. so does it wheelie still?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2018, 03:53:11 PM »
you guys did a fine job on the conversion. now that the bar is set high.......we'll have a comparison to another member once he starts his  ;D ;) no pressure now  rofl

you'll have to upload the video's to youtube then post them.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:55:50 PM by dsrace »

78crew

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2018, 04:08:16 PM »
two 1" od tubes can't add more than 3 or 4 lbs to the nose and the extra shear strength out weighs that! do as budlight suggested you won't regret it. so does it wheelie still?

Okay...I will do it.  I will add the diagonal bars on the sides.  And as far as wheelies go, I am sad to say that it still won't wheelie.  I think you are going to have to work on the kit some more. :m

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
 rofl well set the rebound faster and pogo stick the front off a roller and she'll wheelie! that being said ...wheelies are over rated and keeping your wheels on the ground is far far better! this is why i pre fer mid engine. once you get 3x3's on the rear or 3x5's ( dealers choice) you will be equally impressed yet again at the diff it makes! i bet my front end steers far far better than that old beam and the power steering really helps in the soft fluffy sand.

fast told me the zensis racing team only had 23 hrs into converting it so thast the best time yet! once you convert to 3x3's in the rear, it should gain apprx 4" gc ( ground clearance). i also heard you had perma grinn running across the sand.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:40:59 PM by dsrace »

78crew

« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
I did have a permanent grin.  I am going to either have to get a face shield or stop smiling because I am tired of eating sand. :m  It was a whole new experience today.  Are the 3X5 trailing arms 5 inches or 3 inches wider?  I don't really want to go 5 inches wider, if they are.  And I don't want to have to move the transmission back.  I am pretty sure I can leave my engine as is with 3x3's and 930 CVs.  I don't know about the 3x5's. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2018, 04:54:54 PM »
rofl well set the rebound faster and pogo stick the front off a roller and she'll wheelie! that being said ...wheelies are over rated and keeping your wheels on the ground is far far better! this is why i pre fer mid engine. once you get 3x3's on the rear or 3x5's ( dealers choice) you will be equally impressed yet again at the diff it makes! i bet my front end steers far far better than that old beam and the power steering really helps in the soft fluffy sand.

fast told me the zensis racing team only had 23 hrs into converting it so thast the best time yet! once you convert to 3x3's in the rear, it should gain apprx 4" gc ( ground clearance). i also heard you had perma grinn running across the sand.  ;D ;D
Bingo.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2018, 04:58:41 PM »
3x3's are 3 longer and 3 wider, 3x5 are 3" longer 5" wider. 3x3's are a bolt on with no trans movement.  normally are i guess i should say. with side panels and/or hood no one will ever recognize that rail ! lol

on another note fast told me you are at 175 psi in the front shocks. that must be a very light rail as i am 250 psi in 2.5 air's but i am 115" wheel base and mid engine plus a tad over 1600 lbs wet.

just a note.....not sure if you had a co pilot on today's run but if not then i bet you wind up adding an additional 5cc's oil and 10 to 20 psi more. just keep that combo in the back of you head for future use. the valving must be very close and with the addition of the 5cc i said to add right of the bat sounds like you didn't use all the travel but 15 inch's or so.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:58:58 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2018, 05:00:10 PM »
these are pretty nice but lens choice sucks/

http://savephace.com/Tactical/Tactical-Masks

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2018, 05:00:35 PM »

Bingo.

some how i knew you would agree  rofl ;) ;D

78crew

« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2018, 06:01:36 PM »
these are pretty nice but lens choice sucks/

http://savephace.com/Tactical/Tactical-Masks

Jerry let me try out his today.  It is now on my list of things to buy.  Unfortunately, the boss put her foot down and told me I have spent enough money for a while so these other things are going to have to wait.  It seems I am officially shut down.  aa: 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2018, 06:43:28 PM »
for now...... are the key words  ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:45:02 PM by dsrace »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal