Author Topic: Carl's new Build  (Read 86812 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Carl's new Build
« Reply #240 on: February 27, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »
still a bit closer to the seats than I would've liked but it is the only place it would fit.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #241 on: February 27, 2014, 07:04:21 PM »
The old single pass vs dual pass radiator controversy.  There is a shitload of info to sift thru on the net. Some interesting stuff here.
http://stewartcomponents.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=13
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: February 27, 2014, 07:05:52 PM »
This part was especially interesting to me.Think about it.

"Double pass radiators require 16x more pressure to flow the same volume of coolant through them, as compared to a single pass radiator. Triple pass radiators require 64x more pressure to maintain the same volume. Automotive water pumps are a centrifugal design, not positive displacement, so with a double pass radiator, the pressure is doubled and flow is reduced by approximately 33%. Modern radiator designs, using wide/thin cross sections tubes, seldom benefit from multiple pass configurations. The decrease in flow caused by multiple passes offsets any benefits of a high-flow water pump."
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:08:48 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: February 27, 2014, 07:16:15 PM »
Honestly,I'm going to go single pass on the dez car.Gonna run distilled water ,PG coolant @20% and a single pass 18x36 rad layed pretty flat(NOT GOOD)but only place it will fit and look good while being pretty protected in a crash rollover with 2 16" Spal fans pulling IIRC(the highest cfm they make in a 16") 4800CFM total. Hope it cools 750 hp OK in the funky location. I'll try to snap a couple pics tomorrow of the styrofoam mockup. Still waiting for the rad to come.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: February 27, 2014, 10:09:59 PM »
Here's a bit more food for thought.

http://stewartcomponents.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=12

From it:"Tech Tip #4 - Coolant, Fans, and Hoses

Coolant
UNEQUIVOCALLY WATER IS THE BEST COOLANT! We recommend using a corrosion inhibitor comparable to Prestone Super Anti-Rust when using pure water. If freezing is a concern, use the minimum amount of antifreeze required for your climate. Stewart Components has extensively tested all of the popular "magic" cooling system additives, and found that none work better than water. In fact, some additives have been found to swell the water pumps seals and contribute to pump failures.

In static cooling situations, such as quenching metal during heat treating, softening agents (sometimes referred to as water wetting agents) will allow the water to cool the quenched part more evenly and quickly. The part will cool quicker, and the water will heat up faster. However, an automotive cooling system is not static. In fact, the velocities inside a cooling system are comparable to a fire hose forcing coolant against the walls of the engine's water jackets. If the softening agents actually aided in cooling the engine, the temperature of the coolant as it exited the engine would have to be higher because it would have absorbed more heat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #245 on: February 28, 2014, 12:58:04 PM »
This part was especially interesting to me.Think about it.

"Double pass radiators require 16x more pressure to flow the same volume of coolant through them, as compared to a single pass radiator. Triple pass radiators require 64x more pressure to maintain the same volume. Automotive water pumps are a centrifugal design, not positive displacement, so with a double pass radiator, the pressure is doubled and flow is reduced by approximately 33%. Modern radiator designs, using wide/thin cross sections tubes, seldom benefit from multiple pass configurations. The decrease in flow caused by multiple passes offsets any benefits of a high-flow water pump."

this is interesting cause on the zx9r I built years ago the 2 pass actually seemed to make the rail run hotter faster and single pass I went to did better but now the r1 engine rail the 2 pass did the job and I have gone that way since and now the busa runs right in the middle of the stock gauge as the stock bike did or does and the fan cycles on and off while I am on the dunes. running easy it cycles and running hard for some time it stays on longer on a 94* day as our last trip provided us!! lol I think mine is 16"x32" but I would have to measure again to know for sure. it is however mounted above the head ports so maybe gravity helps????

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #246 on: February 28, 2014, 08:16:08 PM »
just measured the core and not the tanks. 16" x 24", 2-1" cores , 2 pass
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:27:08 PM by Dsrace »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #247 on: February 28, 2014, 08:48:42 PM »
Using the old 1 square inch per HP you have a rad capable of cooling 384 HP. Congratulations.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #248 on: March 01, 2014, 12:49:02 PM »
Using the old 1 square inch per HP you have a rad capable of cooling 384 HP. Congratulations.

LMAO  good to know i'm good when I boost it lol  I figured a little big wouldn't hurt anything lol

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #249 on: March 01, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »
and it's funny you say that cause the guy in Kansas that custom builds the alum racing radiators warned me twice that this was too big for a bike motor and I just told him twice that we run pretty much wide open throttle or in the high rpm range that ap motors never see.  rofl

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #250 on: March 01, 2014, 01:51:08 PM »
I reused the rad from the donor car. Single pass. Takes a long time to get up to temp. Cools off real quick when the fan kicks on. My one fan moves 2800 cfm. Sounds like a jet when it starts up. You don't hear the motor over the fan.

Fan, http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flex-a-lite-Model-30-15-Inch-Shrouded-Electric-Cooling-Fan,1841.html
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #251 on: March 01, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »
if mine goes out i'm installing this one for the extra thrust  rofl rofl

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flex-a-lite-Model-160-Electric-Cooling-Fan,39992.html

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: March 01, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »
Honestly,I'm going to go single pass on the dez car.Gonna run distilled water ,PG coolant @20% and a single pass 18x36 rad layed pretty flat(NOT GOOD)but only place it will fit and look good while being pretty protected in a crash rollover with 2 16" Spal fans pulling IIRC(the highest cfm they make in a 16") 4800CFM total. Hope it cools 750 hp OK in the funky location. I'll try to snap a couple pics tomorrow of the styrofoam mockup. Still waiting for the rad to come.
I got the jet covered.................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2014, 03:34:29 PM »
if mine goes out i'm installing this one for the extra thrust  rofl rofl

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flex-a-lite-Model-160-Electric-Cooling-Fan,39992.html

Dang DS you looking to cool the rad or add 20 thousand pounds of trust. rofl.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »
I got the jet covered.................

dangit I missed that one  rofl rofl

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal