Author Topic: looking for info on mid-engine frame  (Read 1268 times)

Offline tcobra

• Janitor
looking for info on mid-engine frame
« on: March 06, 2022, 07:14:59 PM »
Just pick this up last weekend would anyone know the name of the frame of who would have built this looks like its going to be a fun build

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: looking for info on mid-engine frame
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 08:25:14 PM »
welcome to the site.

no idea on the manufacturer but it sort of looks like a heavily modified sand sprite. looks to be a fun project.

what are you plans for this build? dual a arm front end and irs rear end?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline tcobra

• Janitor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 12:40:19 PM »
will use the irs rear end thinking either a 4cyc or 6cyc turbo power plant. have not even thought of the front end any suggestions I am all ears around here dune buggies with rear engine vw are most common once in a great time you will see sum thing different and as long as you have lights turn signals brake light your street legal  :m
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 12:42:04 PM by tcobra »

Offline BrianN

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 01:28:44 PM »
One thing is for sure with this group- no 2 are alike! I usually end up with the most oddball stuff of the bunch. lol! I will share pics of my builds from the first purchase (purple car)to what it looks like now, and hopefully others will, also. Just so you can get your own ideas. Is yours mainly for the street? Because that will make a big difference.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 05:36:19 PM »
We will all strongly suggest you ask DS about his independent front suspension conversion kit. He doesn't make them himself anymore but will put you in touch with who does. Several here will vouch for how well they work. Several threads here about them as well.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 05:52:06 PM »
Are you planning on using the trans in the pic?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline tcobra

• Janitor
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 08:04:03 PM »
Thanks guys I will ask DS about the front end I was planning to have the trans gone through I will attach pics of it the end nipple at the shifting levels is broke so I will have to get the end housing replaced The pics will have the serial stamped in it  to it if you could help me ID the trans that would be great, this will be my first build  this will be for the high way and some trail riding  but not to extreme  I was able to locate the California id tag wonder if I called them and gave them the ID number if they would give me the info of the builder or owner that tagged it ? it has a CNC disk brakes  forgot about that lol

nice ride also

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 08:29:40 PM »
That is a swing axle trans. You might want to upgrade that depending on how much engine you use.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 10:31:06 AM »
i agree , i would upgrade the trans. swing axle can work for a number of applications.....pavement is the best application. there really isn't any true additional travel that can be gained over stock. where a swing axle is technically independant suspension......it isn't considered to be in the irs family. a few different styles of irs would be...... trailing arm, 5 link or 6 link which are multi link or a arm rear ends. all have the pro's and con's but those are the only style rear ends where you can add travel via cv's or longer axles while maintaining aspects as toe, camber etc etc.

swing axle stroke like a birds wings so they do not corner well. thats my opinion and i'm sure there are die hard vw people out there that will argue i am wrong until there dying day.

your front end in the pics is a swing axle style front end. prowlers speed and custom sold a mid engine swing axle frame with single a arm front end kit like that. they also offered frames with that front end and triling arm rears. they sold a lot of sand sprite chassis as well as others. vw based buggies were there main revanue.  i am not knocking vw based anythig either just stating what there main focus was.

your frame has a lot of potential and this is the point to figure out long term goals and build towards that objective. or bolt it together and abuse it as it sits. it will be very hard to keep control of in the woods with swing axle front and rear suspension.  i say that because as camber radically changes, so does toe in and out and that creates bumb steer. in stock set up the rear will be controlable but that front end wont. i shouldn't say  " won't "  as everyone has different expectations. lets just say your arms will get a work out.

plenty of info from the dts group for either direction you choose to go.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 10:39:37 AM by dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Offline tcobra

• Janitor
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 06:48:59 PM »
Thanks DS for the info looks like a have a little reading to do
Thanks to all that have helped with info
1st thing I will do is get a good primer on the frame then decide on my motor and start the build
thanks guys stay tuned

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 07:03:37 AM »
Thanks DS for the info looks like a have a little reading to do
Thanks to all that have helped with info
1st thing I will do is get a good primer on the frame then decide on my motor and start the build
thanks guys stay tuned

it will be a fun buggy either way.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal