Author Topic:  (Read 48170 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2013, 12:25:45 PM »
Final verdict on the whammy. 

Somebody tried to repair cracked heads.  That did not work.  So, we are looking for a set of 1915 heads.  We will need to get the step cut and set for a 94 bore?  (I confess, that is Greek to me.)  Anybody have anything sitting around that would work? 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2013, 02:28:34 PM »

Somebody tried to repair cracked heads.  That did not work.  So, we are looking for a set of 1915 heads.  We will need to get the step cut and set for a 94 bore?  (I confess, that is Greek to me.)  Anybody have anything sitting around that would work?

How about here?
http://www.mofoco.com/item/REBUILT_DUAL_PORT_CYLINDER_HEAD/238/c68

Also if you can find the bear heads I have all the 40MM intake and 35.5 exhaust SS valves.  I all so have the 42 MM and 39 MM SS packed back in a cabinet somewhere.  All you would need to keep off the old ones is the springs retainers and keepers.  let me know.   

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
How about here?
http://www.mofoco.com/item/REBUILT_DUAL_PORT_CYLINDER_HEAD/238/c68

Also if you can find the bear heads I have all the 40MM intake and 35.5 exhaust SS valves.  I all so have the 42 MM and 39 MM SS packed back in a cabinet somewhere.  All you would need to keep off the old ones is the springs retainers and keepers.  let me know.

Heres one more.
http://www.partsplaceinc.com/catalog/vw-air-cooled-beetle-ghia-air-cooled-engines-pistons-heads-cylinders136.shtml

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »

You say 1915? That means the motor has 90.5 Cylinders right?

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »
I think so yes, so it would take a 94mm bore. Been awhile but I think that's right.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2013, 02:59:25 PM »
I think so yes, so it would take a 94mm bore. Been awhile but I think that's right.

You mite be right.  Stock stroke w/9.5 cly's would be 1650cc, stock stroke w/92 MM cyl's would be 1835 cc then put 94 mm cyl's on it would make it a 1915 cc motor. 

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2013, 04:11:18 PM »
He said 1915 bored to 94 cyl so my guess is that is it?  Fast if you want to call Perri and speak the same language let me know?  I have some calls into local machine shops that do VW stuff.  Maybe I can get them on board? 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »
He said 1915 bored to 94 cyl so my guess is that is it?  Fast if you want to call Perri and speak the same language let me know?  I have some calls into local machine shops that do VW stuff.  Maybe I can get them on board?

If you want to buy heads I think we should go with new only.  Anything rebuilt is only going to be a headache for him latter down the road.  Them heads have all been rebuilt so many times and the metal in them is trash. What we need to do is find some new bare heads.  I can furnish all the valves in SS for them and have your buddy bore them for 94's. If we have time send them to me and I will take care of them. Still have all my old head and block boring stuff. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:42:06 PM by fastcorvairs »

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »
Lets see what we can come up with here local in the next couple of days......  we can go from there.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2013, 04:50:03 PM »
Something else.  Have them weld in an 1.25 tube across the roll bar just behind the driver and passenger's head, about eight to ten inches, and I can supply you with a set of headset and shoulder belt hangers like in my car.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2013, 05:48:33 PM »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »
Like a bunch of kids playing with their old toys! You guys are in heaven or at least will make it someday!  oorah!!! Carry on!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »
Yummi
If one head is cracked then I would not fix it.  Buy the time you pull the valve seats out and weld it up you can chase a crack for a long ways.  Reseat it and you still have the potential for the crack to reform.  I would really hate for the car to cough up the motor sixty days down the road and him to just give up on it. 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2013, 08:18:24 PM »
listen to him yummi.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2013, 08:21:43 PM »
Two rebuilt heads @ 325 is  what machine shop said.  Dont think he i speaking of repairing just one, or even using the core.  They are goners. 

Any specific questions I need to ask?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal