Author Topic: Shocks  (Read 1273 times)

Stomper

Shocks
« on: April 17, 2009, 10:19:19 PM »
Ok, I may be gettin ahead of myself here but I am getting close to having most of the parts to start building in the near future and the parts that I do not have at the moment, I will be purchasing them soon. My questions are about Shocks.                                                       1. Do I order them ahead of time or do I order them after I know what my travel is going to be. I don't know how to figure the travel out ahead of time, so would it be a smart Idea to wait. Yeah? No? Maybe??
2. I know that I shouldn't cheap out on the shock department. But, Is there an automotive type shock that is relativly cheap and common (easy to get from auto supply stores) that would work for awile until I can upgrade to better ones.
3. If I had a shock with 8" travel what Kind of travel could I get by adjusting mounting positions. I have learned from here that the lower mount should be about 2/3rds out from the frame on the a-arm and at full compression the shock should be 90 degrees to the a-arms. Is this correct.

I hope that I explained this correctly. If not please shcool me a bit.

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
Re: Shocks
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:58:03 AM »
1. Your in the right place for some help.
2. Having your shocks ahead of time may be a good idea if its a first build. I had mine before we started. This lets you test fit in the process of building. You can avoid tearing stuff apart later.
3. You are going to be better off in the long run on time,  money, labor, fabrication to get the good shocks to start. Mounting styles differ from general auto shocks to the fox, king, etc ball mount shocks. 
4. What are you planning for a drive train.
5. Wheel travel will be grater than the shock travel if the shock is mounted away from the wheel. If the shock is mounted to the arm 8" from the frame. and the A arm is 16" long the wheel can travel roughly 16" with said 8" stroke shock. But you are placing a 2 to 1 leverage factor on the shock, it will take more pressure and or heaver springs to control the load.
6. 90 to the arms not necessary in my opinion. You use your pressure better closer to 90. 
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal