Author Topic: toyhauler camper  (Read 9615 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
toyhauler camper
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:22:39 AM »
can anyone think of or know a reason why drop axles shouldn't/can't be used on a camper?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: toyhauler camper
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 08:28:00 AM »
reason i ask is i have to do something with my fifthwheel toyhauler camper. the wheels have struck the floor a few times now and it has to stop before it catchs fire. the factory never left enough room for clearance. i only about 3" between the floor and tires so fast suggested flipping the axles or adding a leaf to stiffen them up. both are an option however flipping them or putting them under the leaf springs rather than over ( as they are now over) would lift the unit about 6" if i go to 16" rims. that makes the ramp gate waaaaay to steep. i have no issues installing wheel wells. this would solve my current issue but also want to go to 16" rims with 235 /80 x 16" tires as i have 225 x15" on there now. 3" tall wheel well would be plenty and no issues fitting between them either so no biggy was just thinking with 4" drop axles i could shed 4" of the 6" that flipping them and going to a 3" larger od wheel would add.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 08:51:40 AM »
I have had drop axles on several trailers . Some have been flipped up and some down. No reason at all not to use them. Just be sure the perches are welded on correctly or there can be wheel alignment issues though. Not all axles are created equal. FWIW,I'd stay with Dexter.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:55:49 AM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 09:53:10 AM »
what i have now are 5200 lb dexter axles. lci (lippert) bought dexter a while ago but i planned on sticking with dexter. i know i can go to 6k lb axles and re use my brakes. now according to dexter, there needs to be a min of 1" clearance between the tires which i would have going to the larger wheel. not sure how comfortable i would be with that but the alternative would be to cut the front and rear perch off and move them to install longer leaf springs as the larger wheels are suppose to have. according to etailer there is suppose to be 4" between them. https://www.etrailer.com/question-163957.html  that's no big deal and i can make a small jig to capture those locations re using the center location. won't be fun and will take a bit of time and i know i will need to check the alignment after words. there is a company in town that does alignments on big and small trailers, they cold bend the axles last i knew. there alignment kits you can add to the perches but they lift it 2" and i'm not wanting to go up any higher lol   the simple thing to do would be to put 4 to 5" tall wheel wells in, go with 6k lb straight axles ( on top the leaf spring) and check clearance between tires.  i know i don't currently have an alignment issue as the original tires lasted 5 years. my only thought was if i was going to go drop axles and move everything for max clearance to floor, frame etc etc then i would just go to the 6k's for peace of mind.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »
i cannot find that article in the faq section on dexters site now. they changed somethings and looks like a  fair portion of there faq section is just gone. i can say right now i only have maybe at the most 3" between the tires now. interesting thing was i emailed dexter asking about drop axles on trailers and also etrailer. dexter never replied and etrailer had to go ask someone 4 diff times and still never gave a def yes or no lol.  but no matter how you look at it, the axles on this unit weren't right from forest river however there is no warranty anymore as it's a 2012 model.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 10:57:09 AM »
Up the axle rating. Make sure the inflated diameter of the tires you will use before deciding on relocating any hangers. Upping the spring rate will make for a lot more roughness to the ride of the trailer if not needed to carry the load. What tires are you planning on running? LT's or ST's? IMO almost all ST's are junk with a few exceptions in the higher ratings. Price has almost zero to do with the tires quality for the most part.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 05:28:04 PM »
st tires.....found 2 companies that actually rate them for 75 mph.   if i have to flip the axle it will go to stronger axles for sure. if i do all this i want the larger wheels for all things considered.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 06:03:50 PM »
i have thought about buying another one but this one is paid for! it def needs atleast 2" more ground clearence as i have ripped of 3 sets of stabilizer scissor jacks in my yard and a driveway in great bend kansas and the filling station in hot lava springs id lol there are literally pieces of my th'er across the US lol   i really think 4" drop axles under the leaf springs will get the job done. probably have to still put atleast 3" tall wheel wells in even for that.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 06:56:49 PM »
Just buy the LingLongs and never again worry about your tires-ever.   LingLong F835 235/85-16  14 ply rating.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:04:46 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 06:59:01 PM »
Instead of buying drop axles you could just add a section of 4" x?  tube to the frame and remount the hangers. IMO,that would be a much better option.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 09:48:52 PM »
the purpose of the 4" drop was to put the axles under the leaf springs with out lifting the  the camper 6". it would only be a 2" lift with the 4" drop axles.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 09:49:26 PM »
i may just have to try the ling longs

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 05:56:39 AM »
If you can I would avoid using the drop axles .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 08:21:02 AM »
why avoid the drop axles? also was looking at the timbren axless system.  asr1200s01 system. i'll have to post a direct link when i get back. dont know how to do that from a phone.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »
so i called timbren, i can buy direct and asr7ks01 is the p/n# for there 7k axless axles systems lol  $783 per pair so 2 pair for a tandem axle.  plus $130 for brakes if mine dont swap. so really not a bad price. so i need to study there cad spec sheet and compare to my current to know for sure but might just work. they still run a square tube from left to right to support them that way too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal