Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 21995 times)

Toufs

Re: Hello All
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2017, 01:24:01 PM »
Here ya go,
http://www.mooreparts.com/center-load-rack-pinion-heim/
to go on this
http://www.mooreparts.com/latest-rage-425153-center-load-rack-pinion-5-8-36-spline-dune-buggy/

Sure you will have to redo rack mounts, but I think ya got that covered.  May can find closer better price.
Thanks dude but those are center load and I'm looking for end load with the fork ends. I'm very new to this fabricating thing as I am mostly a race driver and not much of a mechanic. So I have to ask, if I got one of those center load racks and changed the ends on the steering rods to suit the rack, would it work even if eye to eye is not 11 inches?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2017, 05:01:06 PM »
imo there shouldn't be any "pulling" one way or another from a 3/4" diff in shock location on a arms. i say this as if one heim may have been adjusted out farther than the other and your measuring to center pivot points of the center of the heim. adjustment at from and spindle side could add up to 3/4" pretty quick. imo, pulling would be for various reasons but one good reason would be if someone bent an a arm or spindle ( steering arm) or bent the rack mount or the end of the rack. you should check the caster on the spindles to see if they match. if one has more than the other then it will pull. just jack the front end off the ground and check alignment on the wheels too, a little toe in is ok but no toe out. i have actually bent the rack inside of a heavy duty end load rack and pinnion after hitting a wash out dead on sideways with my front wheel. it pulled to the right right after that and took me a while to find that issue.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2017, 05:18:44 PM »
just a quick story....lol.... i n built and installed on of my front end on a customers rail. he is now a good friend but at that time as i said i installed it and also aligned it. he got it home and drove it down the road then called and said it was squirrly and pulling. i said well no way its the front end and told him to check the alignment on the rear as i did not. i didn't touch the rear because it was a trailing arm rear end and i am not a fan of those for obvious reasons. i pre fer 5 or 6 link rear ends and now over built gawdy dual a-arm rear ends  LMAO! i am now a huge fan of the dual a-arm rear end btw!  but he did check the rear and it was off a fair bit. when the rear ends aren't aligned then they will make the fronts feel like that too. just a thought to maybe re set the alignment front and rear to be sure before buying a bunch of parts if nothing is obvious that it's bent.

Toufs

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2017, 08:12:33 PM »
imo there shouldn't be any "pulling" one way or another from a 3/4" diff in shock location on a arms. i say this as if one heim may have been adjusted out farther than the other and your measuring to center pivot points of the center of the heim. adjustment at from and spindle side could add up to 3/4" pretty quick. imo, pulling would be for various reasons but one good reason would be if someone bent an a arm or spindle ( steering arm) or bent the rack mount or the end of the rack. you should check the caster on the spindles to see if they match. if one has more than the other then it will pull. just jack the front end off the ground and check alignment on the wheels too, a little toe in is ok but no toe out. i have actually bent the rack inside of a heavy duty end load rack and pinnion after hitting a wash out dead on sideways with my front wheel. it pulled to the right right after that and took me a while to find that issue.
Well coming from you I feel pretty good about myself measuring and checking most of what you said lol (yay im not as stupid as I thought lol). But I hear all what you saying bro and I measured from shock mount to end of the bar itself. I thought before measuring it to measure to the end of the bar (where the heim is mounted in) and not to the heim and there was the 3/4 inch difference. I think it does make a big difference just by the way I discovered it. I was sitting on a chair in front the buggy with my knees under the front using them to lift the front up and down watching the shocks expand and compress. I noticed the right shock was doing much more work than the left shock. The right side of the buggy was moving up and down while the left was not doing much at all. The right side compresses more and because it also expanded more, I would actually get the left wheel off the ground while the right was still grounded. This is because the shock mount on the right is closer to the inner end of the arm causing the arm to be pushed down more on expansion and up more on compression than on the left side. Now I could be talking shyt as I keep saying im not much of a fabricator or mechanic (just a little lol) And I hope I explained myself correct because I had issues trying to get a video of it onto this site. Have a think and let me know if there is any sense to what Im saying. All advice is appreciated.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:38:28 PM by Toufs »

Toufs

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2017, 08:26:10 PM »
just a quick story....lol.... i n built and installed on of my front end on a customers rail. he is now a good friend but at that time as i said i installed it and also aligned it. he got it home and drove it down the road then called and said it was squirrly and pulling. i said well no way its the front end and told him to check the alignment on the rear as i did not. i didn't touch the rear because it was a trailing arm rear end and i am not a fan of those for obvious reasons. i pre fer 5 or 6 link rear ends and now over built gawdy dual a-arm rear ends  LMAO! i am now a huge fan of the dual a-arm rear end btw!  but he did check the rear and it was off a fair bit. when the rear ends aren't aligned then they will make the fronts feel like that too. just a thought to maybe re set the alignment front and rear to be sure before buying a bunch of parts if nothing is obvious that it's bent.
Yes for sure dude, I plan to get front and back aligned by this dude I know who deals with a few buggies on island. they say he is pretty good so we will see. Just wanna set it back up now. Have 1 more day for the tank liner to set then its back in with the tank and test the new thermostat and water temp sensor that went in over a month ago and have not been tested because I been waiting for the tank liner. So I will be sure to remember to bleed it like you guys said when setting back up and hope the overheating issue is gone. Then once the overheating is over I will start going through the other issues. All your advice is well respected and appreciated. Thanks bro.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2017, 08:54:28 PM »
U need both pieces in links. Spread bar is 11” and boots to center load rack. U can’t get a heavy duty end load rack in 11” not that I’ve found.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Toufs

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2017, 09:37:33 AM »
U need both pieces in links. Spread bar is 11” and boots to center load rack. U can’t get a heavy duty end load rack in 11” not that I’ve found.
Ohhh that's what the spread bar is for. Thanks awesome I learned something today.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2017, 01:22:10 PM »
Well coming from you I feel pretty good about myself measuring and checking most of what you said lol (yay im not as stupid as I thought lol). But I hear all what you saying bro and I measured from shock mount to end of the bar itself. I thought before measuring it to measure to the end of the bar (where the heim is mounted in) and not to the heim and there was the 3/4 inch difference. I think it does make a big difference just by the way I discovered it. I was sitting on a chair in front the buggy with my knees under the front using them to lift the front up and down watching the shocks expand and compress. I noticed the right shock was doing much more work than the left shock. The right side of the buggy was moving up and down while the left was not doing much at all. The right side compresses more and because it also expanded more, I would actually get the left wheel off the ground while the right was still grounded. This is because the shock mount on the right is closer to the inner end of the arm causing the arm to be pushed down more on expansion and up more on compression than on the left side. Now I could be talking shyt as I keep saying im not much of a fabricator or mechanic (just a little lol) And I hope I explained myself correct because I had issues trying to get a video of it onto this site. Have a think and let me know if there is any sense to what Im saying. All advice is appreciated.

wasn't saying you didn't measure it correctly just wondering if y0u measured it with all factors accounted for. if one side is moving more freely than the other i suppose that could, maybe give a feeling of one wheel pulling to a point. i would really like to see pics again and upload video's to youtube then below the video select share.....copy and paste that link directly to a post on here and it will embed or can atleast click on it to watch the video. basically if you have on side moving faster than the other or if one side has more wheel stroke than the other this could cause a bump steer feeling but again i would align the front and rear first just to get a true idea of what is needed before buying any parts. my front ends are tight enough that if you shim the tie rod up using a 1/8" washer it will change toe in or out by 3/8" so that's really huge for a washer shim!  also on my front ends i tell everyone when aligning one that it is very important to set the rack at center and clamp it so it cannot move while setting the alignment. it is important that both tie rods are set evenly if a arms are. if you don't start there the rest doesn't matter as it will stroke at diff times and create bump steer. this could be your issue " could" i'm not there so i cannot say for sure. lance would be the best person to ask how to align it.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2017, 11:35:59 AM »
The rack that is in there is one of these (or it was when it left here).  I don't know which one but there's very little difference.

http://www.mooreparts.com/latest-rage-425145-end-load-11-rack-pinion-5-8-36-spline-vw-sand-rail-buggy/

http://www.mooreparts.com/latest-rage-425140-end-load-11-rack-pinion-5-8-36-spline-vw-sand-rail-buggy/

The rod ends that come with the rack are removed (they're super wimpy) and replaced with these.  The threads are cut off and then the clevis is drilled and counter-bored for a SHCS (Socket Head Cap Screw) bolt.  Look at the one in the buggy and you'll understand.

http://www.mooreparts.com/latest-rage-425152cv-replacement-clevis-end-for-end-load-rack-pinion/

While the whole set-up isn't insanely bulletproof it worked for MANY years out here.  There really aren't a whole lot of options in the size/space you have, trust me I looked.

Sorry for taking so long.  Work's been a Bitch lately.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:46:08 AM by Lance-W »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2017, 01:00:43 AM »
just a quick story....lol.... i n built and installed on of my front end on a customers rail. he is now a good friend but at that time as i said i installed it and also aligned it. he got it home and drove it down the road then called and said it was squirrly and pulling. i said well no way its the front end and told him to check the alignment on the rear as i did not. i didn't touch the rear because it was a trailing arm rear end and i am not a fan of those for obvious reasons. i pre fer 5 or 6 link rear ends and now over built gawdy dual a-arm rear ends  LMAO! i am now a huge fan of the dual a-arm rear end btw!  but he did check the rear and it was off a fair bit. when the rear ends aren't aligned then they will make the fronts feel like that too. just a thought to maybe re set the alignment front and rear to be sure before buying a bunch of parts if nothing obvious that it's bent.
Wellllll,it's about time!!!!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2017, 09:06:27 AM »
Wellllll,it's about time!!!!!!!

ya that sentence was just for you fabr  ;) ;) ;D ;D LMAO   i know you think mine look a little gawdy and they do but not worried about up rooting any more trees in the trails.

Toufs

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
Here ya go,
http://www.mooreparts.com/center-load-rack-pinion-heim/
to go on this
http://www.mooreparts.com/latest-rage-425153-center-load-rack-pinion-5-8-36-spline-dune-buggy/

Sure you will have to redo rack mounts, but I think ya got that covered.  May can find closer better price.
So back on this rack again lol. Is this a front or rear steer? And question for Lance, would this fit/work? I don't mind having to move the rack mount but just need to know if this would be a good buy. The reason im changing it is because (I think I may have said before) the play from left to right on the steering wheel is about 3/4 inch before having any action on the rods. Now this is my first buggy and don't know if this is normal for this type of buggy/rack but I have drove a few Polaris and Yamaha buggies and they don't have that steering wheel play. Just wanna get it as tight as possible.

Toufs

« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2017, 09:15:30 PM »
The rack that is in there is one of these (or it was when it left here).  I don't know which one but there's very little difference.

http://www.mooreparts.com/latest-rage-425145-end-load-11-rack-pinion-5-8-36-spline-vw-sand-rail-buggy/

http://www.mooreparts.com/latest-rage-425140-end-load-11-rack-pinion-5-8-36-spline-vw-sand-rail-buggy/

The rod ends that come with the rack are removed (they're super wimpy) and replaced with these.  The threads are cut off and then the clevis is drilled and counter-bored for a SHCS (Socket Head Cap Screw) bolt.  Look at the one in the buggy and you'll understand.

http://www.mooreparts.com/latest-rage-425152cv-replacement-clevis-end-for-end-load-rack-pinion/

While the whole set-up isn't insanely bulletproof it worked for MANY years out here.  There really aren't a whole lot of options in the size/space you have, trust me I looked.

Sorry for taking so long.  Work's been a Bitch lately.
Hey there Lance whats up man hope all is well. Sorry for the late response bro but had nothing to report anyway lol. Still waiting on my mechanic/friend to get my tank back to me as I gave it to him to do the sealer work because my hand has stitches in it. But he been busy so I understand.

The rack in the buggy is one of those you posted here. Im looking at the rack in my previous post and was wondering whats your opinion on that rack for the Cuda.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2017, 06:05:34 AM »
Bar far easiest is replace w rack originally used.  And theres not much room up there for those other rack and spreader bar I linked. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2017, 07:00:02 AM »
carl is right.......you should post some pics of the rack though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal