Author Topic: ignition switch  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Jerry

ignition switch
« on: February 02, 2009, 07:11:16 PM »
I just got a ignition switch and would like to hook it up without blowing something up. So can someone check me and tell me if i am right. The switch has 3 prongs labeled ignition, battery,and soleniod.

My wire diagram show the yellow wire from fuse block to the old ign switch, 2 red and blk wires from ign switch to key switch power ( those 3  should be my batttrey wire on new switch?

The white/red from old ign switch to start solenniod that should be my new soleniod wire?

The red/white wirefrom old ign switch to lhca sw power that should be the new ign prung?

when i touch the w/r and r/w wire  together it starts.

Admin

Re: ignition switch
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 07:15:10 PM »
jerry, tell me every wire you connect to make it run...

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:40:57 PM »
hold the boat?  does it run now? lets fix the first issue, then worry about this one? 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
hold the boat?  does it run now? lets fix the first issue, then worry about this one?
good call
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:05:05 PM »
no it does not run yet, still waiting on parts. The 2 red/blk and the yellow went together and the white/red and red/white when tounched together woulld engage the starter. I will not hook up the switch untill after i get it started again, just to make sure i do have to many things going at once.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 08:32:51 PM »
Yummi I am back up and running ;D

So what are your thoughts.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
Well, if in you want I can come over, we can do the whole shebang.  Lets leave that load thingy out of the equation though?  We can just do it so it all makes sense. 

On the ignition switch, I have a "momentary" and an "ignition"  I have found that I really like having the ability to bump the starter knowing full well it wont fire - why?  Well, lots of times I want to fire the car without getting in the car - yes, I always check to insure it is in neutral, but just the same I like to bump the starter to make damn certain it is if i am standing next to the thing. 

The reason I say all this is as I recall you had a single three position switch?  Lets get some feedback from the others and see if there is any down side to that set up?

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Admin

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 08:46:35 PM »
My drak is getting rewired now, today and tomorrow to be precise, It has a 6 pole rocker switch, basicly when on you got power, when you turn it off it also run ground to the kill switch, It is bumped over to the button for start, only when switch is on, feel foolish when you crank for 20 minutes and the power is off.... anyhow, if you wanna use a key, I dont suggest doing so in the dirt, it should be pretty self explanitory, if i recall you just unhook the wires and it kills the engine correct? I have to actually ground mine to kill it...

SPEC

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 06:38:17 AM »

Offline Jerry

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 05:46:38 PM »
What are some of you guys using for ignition switches?

Admin

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 05:48:52 PM »
Imo, and what i have is a toggle for power, and a button for start, never had any luck with key switched in the dirt... I also have a DES teather that can be removed, it is "dealer" programmable so its just like a key, will not run without that exact one...

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 07:04:36 AM »

Ive done that...I have a hidden anti theft switch on the rear of barb's...and forgot to turn it on a couple of times

Me to Spec.  Still havent found that damm switch.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 07:10:05 AM »
I use a thermal overload breaker as my "hidden" switch - PITA when I forget about it, but some piece of mind when I need to use it.

Liking the tether idea in lieu of key....

SPEC

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 07:46:29 AM »
Me to Spec.  Still havent found that damm switch.

Wow that is quite the harness :o
Me I'm the one wire kinda guy...I got the patients of a hand grenade with the pin pulled ;D

Admin

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 02:32:50 PM »
I use a thermal overload breaker as my "hidden" switch - PITA when I forget about it, but some piece of mind when I need to use it.

Liking the tether idea in lieu of key....

My tether is oem ski doo, works in conjunction with the computer, dont know how or were you would aquire one for an aftermarket application...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal