Author Topic: Cutting Down a Windshield.  (Read 12821 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Cutting Down a Windshield.
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »
Update:This is a bit difficult  and has a learning curve about 3 miles long and about a 50% grade to boot!!!  eyes First,I've cut thousands of pieces of glass in the last 40 years or so. Cut curves,scroll lines even circles from the center of a glass pane. Never had any problems soooooooooooooooooooooooowhat could be so hard? Well ,plenty.  rofl rofl  First off , the tile saw method MIGHT work but absolutely is a fail with the blade that comes with it. Too coarse and too sparcely placed diamond grit. Killed a WS immediately.  I have an actual GLASS TILE blade coming and will give it a try. I believe it will be a very smooth ,no chip cut. Might actually work after first trimming off bulk of excess WS first.
  For now though since I have cut so much glass I thought I'd give it a try "old school". I almost had the second try be a success. One score line did not run true. SHIT.  thumb down ;D ;D  I have never had any reason to use anything other than a standard glass cutter. The score that did not run true I believe,was due to a crappy score. Soooo,off to Tulsa I go to pick up a high quality glass cutter. This thing is SWEET!!!!!!!!!! Oil filled,carbide wheel,scores smooth as a babies asssssssss!!!!!!!. Can't wait till tomorrow to try WS #3.
  I've learned a LOT on these first 2 attempts,will post info soon as I have(hopefully)success.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2014, 10:21:21 PM »
 rofl rofl rofl rofl  yes it is and in the 22 years i have now been doing it it comes easy lol windshields are more difficult to cut down especially the cheap ass chinese ones like safelite glass sells, also fyg brand and pgw        ( formerly ppg before they sold out to chickety china) and csg plus several other names.. the impurities in the glass make it much more difficult so don't feel bad. a cheap cutter does add to the difficulty. i have only used a cabide oiled for years and the only way to go. keeping the glass wet where that saw touch's is needed as well. i have custom cut many flat windows for restorations and many for shop tops. after 22 years you can still wind up breaking one from a warp in the glass though. not sure if you do or don't but once you do get a good cut with the laminated glass use denatured alcohol and pour into the cut, ight it to warm up the so called vinyl in the middle of the glass and pull straight out , while it is still lit on fire, then lean it over and cut the vinyl. it's actually a celluloid but close enough. 3 in 1 tool oil like for air tools or 5wt trans fluid works well too in the cutter.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2014, 06:05:45 AM »
Flat laminated is easy peasy. Due to the fact that curved, laminated windshields are made from 2 identical pieces, the internal stresses are a force to be reckoned with . That is the issue. Learning what and where to cut to relieve those internal stresses is the trick. Antifreeze and a host of other things,as you said, can be used for "oil".  The PVB plastic between the panes is easily taken care of using a couple of different techniques such as the alky or even using a propane torch. I like the alky method. Pretty amazing how little temperature is needed to melt/soften the stuff to where it will separate.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:07:16 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 09:25:27 AM »
if you run your hand over the glass like you would on a body panel to see if there are any high spots you can usually feel the dips which is what i call warped puckers in that chinese glass. those warped spots are were you really run into trouble cutting the glass. even with a good cutter. you know that you score the glass with is to guide the crack you are going to run across it but when you introduce a pucker or low spot in that line it can run off in different  directions fast lol   i know everyone thinks glass is smooth and flat but it really depends on the grade and it is far more porous than a guy thinks, which is why rain x works so well.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2014, 09:57:03 AM »
True! The float glass I normally sell has changed dramatically in the last 4 years. I used to be able to score an 1/8" on an edge and snap it off in one piece 36" or more long. Now ,it just comes in small segments. It's not just the dips,it's a definite different type of glass now days.  Windshields ,you can see the deformities from inconsistent glass and the additional stresses caused by the laminating process. Flat lam and float are easy to cut ,anyone can do it. Curved windshields on the other hand....................................well,I'm betting only 1 out of a thousand good glass guys might be able to pull it off.

;) I just might find out I'm not the one either by the time this is done.  ???  rofl
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:01:39 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2014, 12:36:47 PM »
ya i remember when they offered grade a and b glass lol        the quality has degraded from over sea's out sourcing for sure. windshields on the other hand are mostly made in china! they don't cool them long enough as well as other problems and walah! lol

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2014, 05:10:08 PM »
OK,today was interesting. I have 2 cut down windshields. 2 out of 6 attempts. The first 2 were definitely learning curve. 3rd try was success. 4th was an absolute failure due to the stuff DS described .Number 5 was as easy as any quality glass should be, easy as cutting regular window glass.The qulaity of it could actually be felt when cutting.Number 6 broke on first alky application almost 1/2 way across. I saw the dip in the glass upper corner and sure enough it was junk. BIG internal stress for sure.
  What have I learned? Inspect each and every windshield before leaving warehouse. Reject any with any irregularities just as DS said by running the hand over it just like doing body work. Look through it to detect any optical irregularities. Reject that also.
  Pic is of 3 on 6 being used as template.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2014, 06:52:47 PM »
well glad you got two done anyway!!  everyone always thinks that glass is glass but it's not. this also hold true as to how good a hit it can take from a rock or pebble before breaking. we don't sell the cheap crap at work unless it is specified by the customer as to that is what they want. the real cheap crap has distortions that make me woosy just pulling around the building and if you can feel them then they are bad! just like if you can hear pinging in an engine it's bad lol lol   what makes it even worse is that all the natural disasters and storms across the nation for the last 5 years especially the hail have depleted our warehouses and there is a flood of this Chinese glass into the usa, more than normal. they are making it too fast and the lack of quality is worse. sad part is gm has gone to this cheap stuff on the assembly lines as well as honda and other imports. last i knew ford and chrysler were still better quality. the last hail storm that came through these parts took out about 50,000 pieces of glass, 4 years ago the big tornado's that ripped up joplin Missouri took out a major hub warehouse and i mean damn large warehouse!!!!!  can you imagine all that glass flying through the wind ?! giant knives for who knows how many miles!   the safelite glass is also made in china and soooooo poor quality the majority of the time that many rear view mirrors just fall off and take a chunk of glass with them the size of a 50 cent piece or slightly larger. safelite normally won't warranty this problem and just claim people hit the mirror or hung something from it.  the chinese glass is the only glass i have ever seen do this. that is real poor quality glass when that happen's .    there's a lot more too it as well but i won't bore anyone with that. lol
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:57:56 PM by Dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »
well glad you got two done anyway!!  everyone always thinks that glass is glass but it's not. this also hold true as to how good a hit it can take from a rock or pebble before breaking. we don't sell the cheap crap at work unless it is specified by the customer as to that is what they want. the real cheap crap has distortions that make me woosy just pulling around the building and if you can feel them then they are bad! just like if you can hear pinging in an engine it's bad lol lol   what makes it even worse is that all the natural disasters and storms across the nation for the last 5 years especially the hail have depleted our warehouses and there is a flood of this Chinese glass into the usa, more than normal. they are making it too fast and the lack of quality is worse. sad part is gm has gone to this cheap stuff on the assembly lines as well as honda and other imports. last i knew ford and chrysler were still better quality. the last hail storm that came through these parts took out about 50,000 pieces of glass, 4 years ago the big tornado's that ripped up joplin Missouri took out a major hub warehouse and i mean damn large warehouse!!!!!  can you imagine all that glass flying through the wind ?! giant knives for who knows how many miles!   the safelite glass is also made in china and soooooo poor quality the majority of the time that many rear view mirrors just fall off and take a chunk of glass with them the size of a 50 cent piece or slightly larger. safelite normally won't warranty this problem and just claim people hit the mirror or hung something from it.  the chinese glass is the only glass i have ever seen do this. that is real poor quality glass when that happen's .    there's a lot more too it as well but i won't bore anyone with that. lol
Give you one guess where these glass came from.  rofl rofl rofl rofl  Ya, I'll not accept any more that are distorted in any way from them. Soooo,who makes a quality s-10 WS? The ONE good Safelite one cut like a dream.  I'd be willing to pay double if there was a quality one available. I'll keep these as backups so I'll never break a WS. You know how it is,have a spare never need it but be without a spare and that will be the ONE thing you need first ride out.
  I'm pretty confident that if the WS were of better quality I could get at least 1 good one from every 2. I will say that you know with the first cut whether it is likely to be a success or not.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 07:14:57 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »
well it's sad to say but none are actually made in the usa anymore like they claim well maybe carlite but i would have to verify that one agian. pilkington is still a good brand but they are making more in mexico now and the quality has dropped a bit lately to compete with the other companies out sourcing to china  pilk has a plant in canada as well and if you look at the tag on the glass it should say but not always.  pilk bought lof and libby owens out years ago so it is all those combined those were all oem names for gm models for years but now that chevy has switched side to china they are using the chinese glass for manufacturing so it's now oem, soooo sad.    guardian glass is still made in the usa i believe and still very good glass but harder to find since they only want to sell to the car manufacturers. regardless you have to run you hands and eyes over it all to be sure cause they are producing it as fast as they can to keep up with the demand .

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2014, 08:09:06 AM »
Well,at 58 bux each from Safe-lite I can kill a few getting the 3 I want. One for the car and 2 spares on the shelf for the occasional tree limb encounter. LOL!!!! Still a lot cheaper than having someone else do it and I now have yet another skill/art feather in my hat.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2014, 08:11:59 AM »
I am definitely going to try the quality glass tile diamond blade I have coming (damn late fedex)on the "practice" windshields I now have. I think it may well work fine.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2015, 05:47:26 PM »
Update:
1  A quality glass cutting diamond blade is light years ahead of a diamond tile blade. Cuts to a polished ,finished edge.

2  It does not work though. Too many internal stresses in the WS to do any full length cuts. It does work very well for lots of short cuts rough, rounded corner trimming . 

3 A quality ,oiled glass cutter is the answer. And a lot of previous experience is invaluable.If I had not the previous years and years of just playing with glass doing all sorts of silly shape cutting I do not believe I could have pulled this off.

Edge dressing with a belt sander is pretty fool proof. I just lubed the glass with a strong soap and water solution in a spray bottle.Hell,even with 80 grit silicon carbide paper you can pretty much just hog off material. It'll chip the crap out of it but  not crack the windshield. Of course I took a much more conservative approach on the 3 good WS I ended up with using a 180 belt. Very slow work dressing all edges perfect to remove any small stress risers that is just a crack waiting to happen.It took about 3 hours work. I have a diamond belt coming to do the last 2 WS. Should speed up the work tremendously.

More later........................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2015, 04:12:15 PM »
ok so it just so happened that today at work i had an odd request to cut the end of a windshield off so the customer could frame the 10 years worth of park stickers he had on his windshield. so i had my wife hold my phone and record a video of it just for you lol  but since i have a dumb phone i couldn't get it off so i sent it to carls smart phone  ;D  we'll see if he can take all 4 short vids and put them into a complete vid and post it for me.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2015, 04:41:33 PM »
The ends are easy. Across the width is another story.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal