Author Topic: V8 buggy build  (Read 19006 times)

RC51 Rhino

Re: V8 buggy build
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2009, 05:42:47 PM »
Thanks, got it figured out...photobucket has some neat pic software!!

Offline Baloo

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 09:50:21 AM »
hello boys
             l havent been in for a while, infact progress has been slow if not non exsistant ::)
but due to the down turn in work which has ment l have time on my hands
 l am back on it now, been bending the roll  cage up and tacking into position, still some more tubes to go in yet but you get the idea

SPEC

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 10:46:14 AM »
Looking good Baloo
Are you planning on tieing the A pillar to the lower rail of the chassis

Offline Baloo

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 11:42:31 AM »
Looking good Baloo
Are you planning on tieing the A pillar to the lower rail of the chassis
hi spec
        yes l though l would carry on the A pillar at the same angle downwards till it hits the chassis rail, and then fill the space between the A and B pillars with somthing like 1x1"x 1/8" box so as to offer some protection to my legs should l slide into the trees and also to give me somthing to fix some alliminum side panels to
something like this ? any  other suggestions  welcome

we dont have wide open spaces here so the chances of sliding into something are quite high  :)  we also dont get  nice clean sand, usually its mud and lots of it so side panels will be required
heres some pics of our normal terrain

andy

Admin

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 01:48:12 PM »
Baloo, did you hook up with Lee?

Offline Baloo

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 01:59:27 PM »

Admin

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 02:01:33 PM »
Sounds great, I wish he'd come back around here, He tends to hold a grudge... ;D So did ya get to drive the white buggy?

Offline Baloo

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 02:18:07 PM »

yes got to drive the white buggy, it rides very well you dont know you have landed  ;D the cvt gearbox is a bit weid at first as are the the 4 pedals  :o  1 to go and 3 to stop, but it works the fiddle brakes pull you round, we had to steer with the back end as the wet clay dident offer any grip for the front wheels

Offline Baloo

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 01:17:50 PM »
a few more pics of the progress

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 01:32:33 PM »
Maybe?? those tires on the V8 build will get a little more bite in the mudd.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SPEC

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2009, 03:53:50 PM »
AAAAAHHHHHHHH MUCH BETTER :o
THAT FOOKER IS LOOKING GREAT Baloo
 jj: :s jj:

Offline Baloo

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2009, 12:48:56 PM »

this is a bit of a change from, the advertised plan which was to use an SD1 engine and box or a range engine witha SD1 auto box on the back then use P6 block hugging exhaust manifolds along with a p6 timing cover and water pump and p5 oil pump, all these things were to make the overall size as small as possible to give me as much room in the cabin as l could have, anyway l have decided to use the range rover engine "as is" this means its bigger than anticipated and is very tight fit, very very tight  in fact so tight it dosent fit :ymblushing:
well it does but you have to fit the engine and box seperatly and then put the ancillaries back on  :roll:  not happy with this as l want to swing the engine and box in in one go with every thing attached so l decided to swing the angle grinder instead, the transmisson tunnel is now gone along with the floor and bulkhead  :shock:  once the rr engine and box is sitting on its mounts l will remake the transmisson tunel and bulkhead leaving an extra 2" of space so as the engine and box can be swapped as one unit

once the engine and box were back in the workshop l removed the viscous transfer box and converted it back to 2 wd, still got the adapter plate to fit yet

as you can see in this pic the engine and box wont swing in as one, so its out with grinder

but once it is in the good news is the fuel injection plenum chamber fits under the bonnet and the front crank pulley and oil pump clear the steering gear  :D
it even fits with the altenator in the position it is now which is way out to the side as the air con compressor is occuping its usual spot, this can change back creating lots more room as l dont think air con is worth the trouble,
clearly this is just a trial fit at the moment as the engine will be getting a good working over with the steam cleaner

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:55:37 PM by Baloo »

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2009, 04:10:07 PM »
That tranny is long. :o  Are you gonna make it 4 wh drive?  Its such a special day when you put the motor in. ;D :'( ;D
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2009, 11:26:03 AM »
That tranny is long. :o  Are you gonna make it 4 wh drive?  Its such a special day when you put the motor in. ;D :'( ;D

hi
  no not going 4 wd, l am going to make a plate for the back of the gearbox so as l can use it as a 2wd only, l want somthing that l can just use for a bit of fun around the fields,  4wd would be to complicated to squeese in and the side kick front axle dosent want to remain in one piece with a 1600 4 banger feeding it, so it's got no chance with the torque of a V8 being fed to it  :o
as soon as l have checked the exhausts fit ok l can take the engine back out and get it cleaned up a little, then its finish the welding, get it shot blasted and l can paint it and move on to the final assembly

Offline Baloo

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 11:36:18 AM »
a little more progress, but not much as l cant stop fiddling with the pilot  :o
good job its a female pilot ;D

the engine is in its final position with the mounts tacked in, the altenator has swapped sides, new footwells made up, just the exhaust to sort out and the steering column and quickener

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal