Author Topic: The evolution of my Keg Car.  (Read 2591 times)

chaos6.7

The evolution of my Keg Car.
« on: January 06, 2010, 10:06:22 PM »
I know its been a while since I posted in the showcase, that I picked this car up for $500. Been doing some of the essentials to get it running strong. Replaced alot of the wiring, and the carb was beyond repair. Some parts where sheared right off of it. (Dont ask me how the heck the previous owner managed that one) Also that Baja exhaust was rotted out and at one point in time I had a coke can clamped on it to hold it together. Sooo.... I picked up a new carb and dual exhaust on Appletreeauto.com for about $260 total. Bolted it all on and it fired right up and just a couple minutes later it was idleing and running great.

chaos6.7

Now what do I call it?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 10:12:13 PM »
The Keg was just giving me too many issues. It would rattle like mad. I think because whoever built it left part of the tap in there. It would also stop feeding fuel, probably because the tap would block the hole. So I picked up a gas tank from the local scrap yard and rigged it in place. Personally I like how it looks, but now its no longer a Keg Car... So what do I call it now? just a dune buggy?

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
Re: The evolution of my Keg Car.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:21:25 PM »
I have a few old pony kegs to make a tank from. There pretty sweet!

Atchcraft

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »
 You could call it "Tanked". It's probably not a good idea for a vanity plate though.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:40:39 AM »
I love where you put the tail lights. Hope you don't get in an accident, you be on fire. How many gal. is the tank?

Offline jsbm

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 03:40:12 PM »
If you don't already have them I would add some tubes like I added in red to your pic (sorry not very good at paint). It would suck if you bottomed out hard and hit something that could crack your case and\or tranny. I see that you have the mount on the drivers side for this already. Just giving you a heads up.

chaos6.7

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:55:03 PM »
               I didnt mount the lights. I had wanted to weld a joist all the way in the back to mount them on, but my friend got impatient and just bolted them in there. The tank is (I think) 14 gallons.
               And you are absolutely right about the protection for my rear. I have been thinking of the best ways to mount a skid plate. This car is mostly for woods driving, and the last thing i need is a stick taking out those stupid plastic push rod tubes.
              Also, I wish I had a video or at least a picture, but after getting stuck in the snow, put those chains on the tires, and this little monster pulled a 10 o'clock wheelie.
             And finally... I have a fiberglass nose that isnt on it now, but I was thinking of painting the Monster energy drink symbol on it. Think it would be a good Idea or is it too much of a Yamaha rip-off?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 12:29:52 AM »
I wouldn't put anybody's logo on it unless they're paying ya for it.
Best case, and this is a stretch, they do offer to sponsor your toy after seeing thier logo already on it.  Prolly not going to happen....
Worst case, they take you to court for use of thier logo....
This post has been edited due to content.

chaos6.7

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 09:08:22 PM »
Yea thats sound advice for the logo I guess.... Ill figure something out tho.
        On the subject of the skid plate, I had it up on the lift and I think I figured out what I am gonna do. In the picture they are bent up, but I have already heated them up and straitened them up. I was gonna slide a pipe around these two pieces, and lead them up to that one mount that was already pointed out on the driver side, and Ill weld a new one on the passenger side. This way it will be full coverage, and I can remove it whenever I like. Sound good?

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 09:44:12 PM »
Monster Energy sells logos everywhere so I doubt they would sue you if they ever saw your car. They probably love the free advertising (actually, you pay them to advertise their product when you buy their stickers). Think of something original, ME has been done a billion times over. I would round up a small aluminum tank. That one is huge, heavy, and totally wipes out rear view. 14 gallons is a lot of fuel and weight. You will have to make sure that it mounted really well. If you hit a tree that thing is going to want to move (and probably in your direction). That could be a bad scenario!
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline jsbm

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 08:27:11 AM »
Yea thats sound advice for the logo I guess.... Ill figure something out tho.
        On the subject of the skid plate, I had it up on the lift and I think I figured out what I am gonna do. In the picture they are bent up, but I have already heated them up and straitened them up. I was gonna slide a pipe around these two pieces, and lead them up to that one mount that was already pointed out on the driver side, and Ill weld a new one on the passenger side. This way it will be full coverage, and I can remove it whenever I like. Sound good?

Thats how it mounted on my old vw rails.

chaos6.7

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 10:29:34 AM »
Thank you. I'm glad to know that I'm heading in the right direction.
Seeing how bent up the mounts are I am guessing that I'll need to reinforce them, won't I?
The gas tank is mounted pretty well, and I'm gonna install a sheetmetal firewall for the extra protection. I'll get a real nice aluminum gas tank eventually but money is a big issue for me right now. That gas tank only cost me $15.
I have been just paceing myself, doing what I can when I can do it. Finding alot of little snags like all the bolts on the exhaust being poorly tapped, and I'm sure your jaws would have dropped when you saw how bad the pushrods where gapped last night when I was tuneing them up.
            Still in the end I'm happy with how things are coming along. I'm really getting proud of this little car.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 11:11:39 AM »
Thats cool man. Having something to be happy about is a good thing for sure. Keep it up. Buggy is looking good.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal