Author Topic: A build for a friend.  (Read 14290 times)

Offline Punkur67

A build for a friend.
« on: June 28, 2009, 06:18:21 PM »
One of my best friends Travis is a soldier in the National Guard. He left for Iraq about 7 months ago. While he was away his wife and I decided to suprise him and build a sand car. He knows about the car cause his wife and I couldnt keep a secret and find out exactly what he wanted in his car.
Unfortunately his MRAP was hit by a bomb a couple weeks ago. He was hurt but will be ok and should be out of the hospital in about a month.
We got a 1992 4 seat sand cars unlimited frame as a roller. It came with 3 x 3s and king coilovers in the rear and a warrior beam with fox shocks in the front. I since have put in a built 091 and a Subaru 2.0. Its much more work than it started out to be but the Subaru made it much more difficult to build. So far I have made a new engine cage, new motor and trans mounts, mounted the cooling system, beefed up the steering and fixed some misc things. I'm going to work on the front end next with some longer arms, coilovers, and some sort of instrument cluster.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 06:21:43 PM by Punkur67 »
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: A build for a friend.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 07:48:49 PM »
Too cool!  Good for you.  Your buddy is going to be pleased when he gets home...
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 04:26:23 AM »
That's really a great thing to do for a friend ;D

artie on edge

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 04:47:07 AM »
Lets see.... buddy away fighting for your country.... you got control of his cheque book.... spendin LOTSA time with his wife....

That could look suspicious EXCEPT your doing the rail.... thats ok man... whew... that was lucky!

Seriously, though... the dudes overseas fighting for his life..... I think more guys like you should be doing stuff for your people.... good gesture man. Im impressed.....

mm:

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 05:21:09 AM »
Hardly like that, Im not some dirtbag that would mess around with my friends wife. Trying to do it on a budget for him. His wife wants a $30k car for $5k. I think it will be about $10k complete.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 06:17:42 AM »
I think that's what Artie was saying/ getting at, that some people could think that you may be playing up with the dudes wife but you're not you're helping out and that you are a good friend!! God I wish I had friends like that!! :'(
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 07:29:09 AM »
Punkur,you're gonna have to change your site name to "best friend in the world 67" .I bow to you! Stuff like this is what makes me really appreciate the great group of guys we have here.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 07:39:08 AM »
Punkur's buddy served for 8 years in the army and after a two year break he joined the reserves to get deployed to fight for our country. He did loose a couple fingers, few broken bones, lots of shrapnel, fractured skull, and eye damage.

BTW, I have pitched in a set of HID lights for this build. If anybody has some stuff laying around I know it would be appreciated. Sounds like the goal is a 30k car on a beer budget. So, if you can (Yes, I know times are tough) buy the man a drink........? (figuratively speaking)There must be lots more that this car needs to get it done.... and I am on a mission to get some of it put together.........
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 07:45:15 AM »
Shopping list available?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Jerry

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 10:04:53 PM »
How about an address i do not have stuff, but i could send a little cash

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:12:13 PM »
Anythhing you guys want to donate to the build or family can be sent to me @
Jeff Cosgrove
12616 Lakeshore Dr #5
Lakeside, ca 92040

Please let me know what you are sending first cause I dont want you to send something that has already been purchased or donated, dont want you to give away something if you dont need to. And please make shure your info (name and adress) are included so I can tell Travis who everyone was that helped out. Thanks again to everyone who is helping out!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:15:21 PM by Punkur67 »

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 10:13:02 PM »
I still need to get him
-Longer front trailing arms
-Set of good lights (i have a few old pairs of jackmans if I cant find him something)
-10" travel coilovers (i do have some springs laying around)
-Fuel pump for fuel injected motor like a bosch pump
-Some -6 fuel lines and fittings
-A whip
-electric autometer oil and water gauges, and a mechanical boost gauge (motor already has sending units for the electric autometers)
-rear dirt tires and wheels (either 31" at tires or desert tracks)
-rear paddles and wheels (1300s)
-powder coat or paint
-hi torque starter for an 091

If anybody has stuff laying around that would be awesome if they could help out even if they can just give me good deals on stuff. I do have some stuff of mine that I can trade too to get him parts like an oil cooler with fan, 8" fox shocks, some billet buggy stuff, paintball gun, and some other stuff. I am hoping to finish the car completely before him and his wife come home from the hospital in about a month to surprise them both. They were still planning on spending a couple grand to finish it but I am not shure how $ will be for them when he gets back so I think they are planning on putting the car on hold till the water settles. I would love to hand them a complete car and have it sitting in their garage when they get home. Lots of work but I think I can get it done. Thanks for the support of this website and all the great members.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:51:38 PM by Punkur67 »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 06:31:51 AM »
May not help much but I'll send a DTS flag. I think I have an extra whip also.I'll look tonite.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 02:39:36 PM »
Here are some pics of Travis

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 10:29:53 PM »
Here is trav at a recent doctors apt.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal