Author Topic: My Cuda so far.  (Read 88218 times)

artie on edge

Re: My Cuda so far.
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 04:09:51 PM »
almost forgot, these issues and the fact that Im using larger wheels than this thing was designed for means Im not using any of the edge designed suspension components. This is cause mines destined for the race track. For social use it wil work fine as designed. No probs.  :D

plkracer

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »
Yep, I raised my rear upper mount too. Luckily I saw the problem when I had them tacked up. I thought, that is no good! I think i will be going to front steer spindles later though.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 05:01:34 PM »
I have a DXF file Ill share for the tags Adam refered to. As for the adjustable castor I think its a great Idea but not the way its built into the Cuda in plans. Ill be offering a upper A-arm kit soon that will allow adjustability without the worry or side movment and without the small 1/2-20 rod end. Rick pointed this issue out as well as the jam nuts and if Im not mistaken was told that the side load was not enough to worry about. USE JAM NUTS ON THE ADJUSTER!!!!. What I do currently is I set my castor then make the spacers to suit.

Rick S.

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »
I also pointed out (To Tony) the missing nut and the useless adjustment that just doesn't work. (Due to the fixed triangle.) He did tell me that he meant to show a nut there, but he couldn't comprehend my point about the fixed triangle. So I had to point out that he didn't even leave room for a nut. Then he says that this missing nut is shaved down to 10mm thick. So, the only nut that gets altered on the entire build is conveniently NOT SHOWN!
The same problem of binding on the rod ends exists on the PIRCV rear.  Where the lower a arms attach to the uprights. Not as glaring, but still not the greatest way to adjust the toe.     

Rick S.

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 05:40:37 PM »
Here's what I'd planned on doing for the upper arm.

plkracer

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 06:53:42 PM »
So rick, is that going to be like a tie rod type of link for the back half of the arm? Are you using 2 heims on it, and another 2 on the front half?

I assume that where the two connect you only want 1 axis of freedom, so a heim there would not work correct?

Rick S.

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 07:08:52 PM »
Yes, like a tie rod.
Where the rear arm attaches to the front would just be be a fully threaded solid type rod end w/right hand thread. (1 axis of freedom) The heim at the frame would be left hand.
To adjust the front arm you'd still have to remove the upright bolt or remove the one at the fame. But at least now it's truly adjustable with no binding.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:11:29 PM by Rick S. »

plkracer

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 07:48:24 PM »

Wait, to adjust caster you would need to remove one end? Or camber? Why not keep the original design with the adjustable bushing on the lower arm?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:49:55 PM by plkracer »

Rick S.

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 08:07:40 PM »
To adjust camber with the upper arm you would need to remove a heim from the front rod. But since the lower arm's adjustment is fine for Camber, the front upper would probably never need to be moved.
The Castor would now be truly adjustable by the upper rear arm on my design.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:12:13 PM by Rick S. »

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »
Thats the same idea done on this buggy. The race guys are doing this and I want to take some pics of their set up as its pretty much waht Ill be doing as well. Rick is spot on!

artie on edge

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »
Here's what I'd planned on doing for the upper arm.

Rick...you ARE "the man" that is so bloody simple and effective as well.. guess where my pup is stealing HER design ideas from now.... lil bitch....

Rick S.

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 10:39:40 PM »
Wow, I drew that 2 years ago. But I did steal the idea from a pic I saw on google images.
I think it was front geometry on a small race car though.

artie on edge

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2009, 10:48:32 PM »
Sorry Reidy, this stuff is sorta on thread... but we did hijack it a tad.... :-[

Rick S.

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 10:51:05 PM »
Hey Doug,
It looks like they're using a heim where they don't need it.
I'd save my money and use a solid type rod end there. It only needs to pivot when you adjust it. Then you torque it down.

artie on edge

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009, 10:53:21 PM »
Yeah Rick was just mulling that over in my mind... thinking a small urethane bush with a crush tube... reduce the arm rocking (twisting) as well...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal