Author Topic: Looking for Transmission Gurus! Manual and Auto Front engine rear drive!  (Read 10470 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Looking for Transmission Gurus! Manual and Auto Front engine rear drive!
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 02:00:55 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm..........................The thing about all of these though,IMO, is that in a 3/4 sacal or larger car the ring and pinions are going to take a beating especially with some torque spinning them. I just don't know. I LOVE the idea od AWD but I also wonder if it would be like quads and AWD. If it's not full 4WD they might not climb worth a shit. killer in mud/snow tho. 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 03:07:31 PM »
 Ecotek and a good 5 speed car tranny? Both aluminum and the Eco has got pleny of potential! Could even be b olted to your PG trans? I'd think it would be a great combo. Even the Honda could work...depending on rotation, maybe with the S2000 trans?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2010, 03:40:50 PM »
The Ecotech has not escaped my thoughts.

I have also entertained the idea of locating a hell of a good deal on a AWD Subaru with the most powerful car they ever made with an automatic. Either making it with a power transmission to the front so the motors back SOME or putting the motor behind you with the rear diff even behind that. Have four drive wheels out back with two too steer in front of you. A bit of weight over a common buggy but still very light compared to the car it was in and should fly.

With the Subee I also considered a future concept car having the motor behind you with the cars actual rear diff in front of you and have a shaft transmit power up the side of the car and have a chain at each end of it take power off the rear end to the shaft then from the shaft back to the diff.

I think I have even seen this done before.

The more I think about my Idea that this page/thread is a topic about the more I am thinking just locate and pay for the BIG sled engines (four stroke) and make sure to find one with reverse from the factory. Then jsut connecting the lower shaft to the driveshaft and make sure you had a rear end that you could tailor the gear ratio too. It adds to the cost but quick change rear is always cool. But I would rather have really quick change gears before that.

But a sealed box with the sleds output shaft and a shaft that held the front of the driveshaft would be pretty easy to put an oil bath chain in.

Or One could look into using a big trannsmission off a bike?? Feed the sled into it and the sled gearcase handles reverse? Would the bike tranny spin backwards with not troupble to hande backing up?

A dwarf car adaptor off the bike tranny would be easy to hold the driveshaft and shifitng the bike motor for different ratios would be easy. You would not need or want all six speeds though.... Likely not anyways.

Question there is how much for a big bike tranny then to pull the gears you would use out. Then the mods to have it accept power in from the snowmobile chain case.       
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »
I saw this somewhere,I don't remember where. "Genius has its limits...."..........................Just kiddin' ;D ;D I gotta admit you've come up with some really doable ideas but one is FUBAR.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »
Iffin yah aint gonna say what you think is FUBAR don't say anything about it!

If you THINK it is "FB" state why! Otherwise its pointless to mention it.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2010, 04:21:02 PM »
"A dwarf car adaptor off the bike tranny would be easy to hold the driveshaft and shifitng the bike motor for different ratios would be easy. You would not need or want all six speeds though.... Likely not anyways."

I thought we went over the shortcomings of this last nite. Am I missing something?

??? ??? ??? ??? If not THIS is fubar because the bike clutch will hate you. IMO.......

I may just be fuzzy today also.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 04:32:14 PM »
Pics I seen of yah your face is always fuzzy......

The above statement was used above as a reduction tranny only AFTER the sled gearcase with reverse. Its not the same thing we werre talking about last night. It was just a way to have a gear reduction after the sleds reverse chain case and before the rear pig tht could be shifted up or down easy.

But like everything in the buggy world that seems to be a potentially great assest perhaps it requires a good bit of add on to do. Almost making one ask if its worth it. But a bike tranny would be lighter than a car tranny. Shift easier. But power into it would be a lil trickier to set up. Not impossible in any way. Just not easy-peasy.

I will go look at what we talked about last night and see if I can see what you are refferring too about the speeds there. That was using the bike motor itself for power and a tranny you drive while having a car tranny behind it for reverse and ranges.

Above was using the sleds gearcase for reverse and the bike motor for a light tranny that could deal with some power. But I am not sure how a bike tranny would deal with reverse. No issues I an think of. But I have never tried to spin one backwards much.   

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2010, 07:17:53 PM »
Oh,I see. You bring up some good questions also. All I can say,from personal experience,is that it is very easy to get Rube Goldberg-ish in a hurry.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2010, 07:19:13 PM »
I also find it desirable to appear fuzzy as much as possible. People leave ya alone then. LOL!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2010, 09:15:59 PM »
I think things are starting to get complicated.  I thought the idea was to keep cost and size reasonable while still meeting the goal.  What the hell was the goal again?
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2010, 09:31:38 PM »
Agreed it has gotten off on a couple wild tangents but I am always hoping that leads to an idea that may be gold! 

I do agree that simple can be best but my stuff does tend to get a Lil Rubish as Master points out things can get that way in a hurry.

But if they work that don't make em bad!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
+1
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2010, 10:37:14 PM »
How about a FZ1 (sled motor?) with a PG or stick? Could make an adapter to hook trans to bell housing....flywheel or flexplate. I'm guessing that motor has to have 150hp?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2010, 10:49:07 PM »
Its been suggested above. The trick is to be able to get the motors power to the wheels without to much loss (parasitic drag) and without adding too much weight.

While I know it woukld work via a common stick tranny or a Power glide the issue is how much would be lost with such large units.

Thus the looking for ultra small car units that are tough. Like maybe the Mazda Miata?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2010, 10:59:13 PM »
What kinda got me thinking of this whole idea again was seeing a manual chevy tranny.

I once bought a old chevy pickup off a buddy with a busted manual tranny. The truck had a 250 straight six. The three speed manual tranny was not really all that heavy and it was cast iron.

It also spun pretty dang freely. If there was a tranny like it that was aluminum...  It would fit the bill quite well I think. In high gear it had little drag. I would live with its drag to get its reverse and lower ratios. Of course there is the weight of the rear pig and its drag too. Nothings perfect... But a aluminum rear pig can be pretty light.

I know the tranny was tough as I put it through hell. I also know how my buddy broke the first one.     

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal