Author Topic: wheel bearing hub combo flex  (Read 5687 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: wheel bearing hub combo flex
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 05:24:17 PM »
Do you know of anybody near you that has any strain gauges?  That would be the ideal thing to do if you wanted to perform an accurate test.

sadly no.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 05:25:28 PM »

Very good point Oz! Ds, I was thinking about this after I got off the phone with ya, A theory we will be able to test very soon (I hope) after I move my calipers to the front on the new carriers.

I think what you have come up with for your new design will eliminate the issue altogether! nice job by the way.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »
what I think might be happening, now that I see it in a different light, is that with top strap adding some strength and nothing on the bottom, I wonder if the carrier is trying to fold shut from left to right or visa versa like closing a book which would intern amplify the piston push.
does this make sense to anyone or am out here in left field by myself again? ???

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 06:24:34 PM »
I think your right on track!  I was going to ask for more pictures to see what else was plated, but if the flat plate on top is the only one laying that direction, I think your book folding analogy is probably correct.  The ring in the center would work or also a flat plate above and below the bearing mount location, running between the inner ears.  And possibly extensions between the inner and outer ears just for good measure.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:28:35 PM by Engineer »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 07:40:37 PM »
Engineer   I do think adding those two plates plus a third across the bottom would be sufficient. that was my first thought but I think I have some tube just the right dia to play around with over the weekend before I jump in. I wonder if the tube would be a bit stronger with 4 plates leading out to the heim mounting points?

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 09:37:25 PM »
The tube would reinforce the whole area around the mounting face of the bearing, but I am guessing that the deflection is occurring more around the mounting bolts, so as long as they are reinforced I don't know if the method used will matter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal