Author Topic: turbo selection  (Read 15831 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: turbo selection
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 12:14:33 PM »
yes it is! a user on turboford sent me a link with the ford stock timing map for an auto and manual trans. he's running a 2.5 4cyl but runs, basically the auto trans timing map. basically same for he 2.3 and 2.5 ford since the 2.5 is a  factory stroked 2.3. he runs 8 to 12 more * advance than i do in the low load low rpm area's than i and is geared a but high as well in 1 st gear. says it makes a good diff.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 04:00:47 PM »
Not trying to be a smart ass but do you know how to properly read plugs?  Many think they do but don't. I admit I didn't for many,many years.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:12:02 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 05:59:41 PM »
lets find out....how does one properly read plugs?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 06:01:07 PM »
here are the plugs i installed right before the LS trip, gapped .024. they appear bright white in the pic but they are a very slight tan in person. i like a slight a tan color but have figured the e85 may have an effect on plugs. no real soot or build up either or signs of burning but again 1 trip to LS.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:29:32 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 07:28:04 PM »
i read a similar article a while back but basically this is what i have gone by.

http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%20Basics%20Root%20Folder/Reading%20Spark%20Plugs.html

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2018, 12:01:05 AM »
i read a similar article a while back but basically this is what i have gone by.

http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%20Basics%20Root%20Folder/Reading%20Spark%20Plugs.html
It is partially correct. I'll be on the road tomorrow. Won't be able to reply/discuss till back.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 07:08:59 AM »

You should ignore the first sentence in the article.  You can destroy a turbos bearings quick doing a full throttle run and then quickly shutting down the engine.  The rest was good info. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 09:57:21 AM »
you are correct budlight, that part is pure fiction!  all turbo's need a cool down and actually, even though that slow ride from the gate to the camp ground should be a good cool down for them i still let mine idle for a few mins before shutting it off. the one thing i have never seen nor heard about is how to read them on  e85. this is the part i am hoping fabr can shed some light on, if there is a diff overall.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 10:10:32 AM »
a company called full race sells the efr turbo's. i contacted them via email and told gave them my info on motor and goals. he told me that neither the 6258 nor 6758 are suitable turbo options and that i would need the EFR 7163 ( all top end as i have now). now the 6758 as seen in the pic above works well up to 6500 rpm at 25 psi boost. i don't run 6500 rpm but have pushed 7500 rm with the previous cam and had the engine balanced higher yet. i honestly see no reason to run 6500 rpm especially at LS dunes! so i need/want a turbo that is all bottom end and midrange for throttle control of the power rather than wot to rev limit and shift lol as seen in the map pic, the 6758 would be riding the surge line to the left at 2k rpm and below. possible most/ all sub 3k rpm. this is just un heard of to these people as they don't run those rpms but all of us do! hell to the gate and back to start with let alone many other times. i tried to explain this but he just can't wrap his head around it at all!  i was told that i need to set power goals then choose a turbo based on that. i said ok ....350 ft lbs tq , linear from idle to 4500 rpm. that still didn't get through lol lol i don't care if i have to set my rev limit to 5500 or 6k rpm and even then i will have to pull boost back to 15 to 20 psi via my electronic boost controller by 5500 and 6k rpm. i told this person no big deal as at that rpm the motor already has enough power to finish the climb, pull to the end of the run, basically do what ever i expect of it at that moment in the sand. told him it was rare to even hit those rpms and even then 2 to 4 secs on the long side.  he is a wealth of knowledge with turbo's but just can't grasp this concept.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:44:56 AM by dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2018, 06:55:03 PM »
I'm going to have to disagree with the harm in doing a clean cut at the end of a WOT run. I see no harm in it. Everything in the turbo will handle it just fine. On the other hand ,I agree totally if we are talking about doing a clean cut after running the engine for more than just a WOT pull to redline such as after a dune run and everythng is heat soaked but, since we are talking about reading plugs we wouldn't be doing anything other than a WOT run to redline anyway so ,no harm in doing a clean cut.

Since it's much easier to just post a link to what I believe to be more accurate plug reading info  here is one.    http://www.autorepairinstructions.com/archives/reading-a-spark-plug/    Notice the info on the ground strap and how it relates to timing and not to plug heat range.Also notice the info on the threads and how that is the determining factor for heat range ,not the ground strap.When reading e85 plugs these things are what you are looking for especially since e85 adds little to no color to the plug. Jetting/efi settings are best made with a AFR log or better yet on a dyno and not by plug colors. Bear in mind the only thing any of this applies to is WOT
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2018, 07:10:48 PM »
This is a link to a short explanation of reading the ground strap for timing adjusting from E3. It's got the basic stuff as usual to skip through but reaffirms the difference in what your link says and what plug makers say. This is why I asked about what you know about plugs. What you posted is what I had always been told but now I know better.I found this more accurate info when researching e85 tuning stuff.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/spark-plug-reading-101-dont-leave-hp-table/

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2018, 08:54:12 PM »
This is a link to a short explanation of reading the ground strap for timing adjusting from E3. It's got the basic stuff as usual to skip through but reaffirms the difference in what your link says and what plug makers say. This is why I asked about what you know about plugs. What you posted is what I had always been told but now I know better.I found this more accurate info when researching e85 tuning stuff.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/spark-plug-reading-101-dont-leave-hp-table/

good article, didn't know about the faint pencil line around the base. also he does state that e85 leaves a lighter color behind than gas. and better defines the ground strap signs. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 09:22:29 PM »
installed the 6758 efr turbo and made 10 pass's through the field sat and sun. wow! these turbo's are amazing and the dead stop take off is waaaaaaaay better! the turbo spools insanely fast! i'm only up to 25 psi right now so prob dial it in and turn it up to 30 while at the dunes or maybe leave it as that is a riot too!

shit the ebc ( electronic boost controller ) off to see what spring pressure would be. it sits at 16 psi so really if i was reduced to 91 octane pump gas i would be safe at 16 psi, not as much fun at 25 or 30 psi but can be done.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:25:00 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »
just a couple pics.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2019, 01:11:00 PM »
this new turbo should prove to awaken my rail. we'll find out in a few days!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal