Author Topic: tube bender  (Read 26565 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: tube bender
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »
I think I follow what you wish to do for the stop Baloo.

The only thing I can see an issue with it is it would get close.

But each tube size and thickness has different springback. So you might need a differet "stop rod" for each tube size or thickness??

Maybe not?
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

sanddozer

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 01:25:05 PM »
How about using a limit switch where your hyd valve is shown in your sketch  and a solonoid valve to dump the pressure?
 The valve could be right on the tank and save some pluming.
Rich

Offline Baloo

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 01:46:52 PM »
How about using a limit switch where your hyd valve is shown in your sketch  and a solonoid valve to dump the pressure?
 The valve could be right on the tank and save some pluming.
Rich

hi Rich

l did start off thinking about limit switches but over here the mains voltage is 240v which will kill you easily so if a wire came off  the switch and touched the machine l would be dead and whilst you guys might not miss me the wife would kill me if l did  that  :o

true l could use 12v solinoids but then l would need a transformer to get down to 12v and a rectifier to get to dc and it all starts getting more complicated and costly, a simple valve is $15
in all honesty l dont think l need a stop really for the amount l am going to use the machine, a big degree wheel and stop when it reads the angle l want will probally do .

what started me thinking about a stop was that the ram is to long really think it has 3" to much stroke so if l dont stop when the die is fully round then it will just bend something, fine if l am using it since l know but if l lend it to someone then its likerly to come back busted

Offline vidio1

• Fabricator
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 02:07:04 PM »
Looks like you've drawn a thumbscrew on the stop making it adjustable. You should be able to move it, make a mark and go back to each mark when needed. If you check your bends with a protractor, make and keep a chart for each type of tube, thickness, and springback you should be able to make it repeatable. 

Offline Baloo

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
Looks like you've drawn a thumbscrew on the stop making it adjustable. You should be able to move it, make a mark and go back to each mark when needed. If you check your bends with a protractor, make and keep a chart for each type of tube, thickness, and springback you should be able to make it repeatable.

thats what l was thinking, fix a tape measure on the bar and write down the numbers that the bends corresponds too

Offline Baloo

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 02:24:11 PM »
Dog seems happy with the outcome?
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Baloo

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 02:48:06 PM »

spanner is always happy checking out what l am doing

there is actually 2 of them,  double trouble

and that collar slowed him down for a while

so l have a hydraulic power pack a big hydraulic ram and 4 pipes, and the only bit that works is the 4 pipes  eyes
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:58:16 AM by Baloo »

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 02:58:36 PM »
Bummer!Cool dog though.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »
Real bummer BalOO.

How in the hell did that ram bend like that?  Did it bend just as you were starting a bend or at the end of a bend?  Like the ram got in a bind or somthing?

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2011, 06:16:31 PM »
Real bummer BalOO.

How in the hell did that ram bend like that?  Did it bend just as you were starting a bend or at the end of a bend?  Like the ram got in a bind or somthing?

From the above where he says no wonder its so cheap I think he bought it that way.

That IS BS when somoene sells something like that and does not tell you first.

Hopefulley the blue pump you got may be good it may just have a bad coupler between the pump and motor?  That would still let it squirt fluid but do no real work. I dunno just thinking outloud.

Now if he was a LEFT handed fiddle player that would be UBER cool!
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline vidio1

• Fabricator
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 07:22:15 PM »
"Now if he was a LEFT handed fiddle player that would be UBER cool!"

Right handed or not I'm impressed. I can't get my dog to anything like that.............lol

Offline Baloo

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 01:27:04 AM »

Offline Baloo

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 09:49:54 AM »
better day today, tried another power pack and it works ok, pushed the arms round to around 110 degree in one push in about 20 seconds, mounting detail is different though so l will have to cut the brackets of and remake

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 06:52:16 AM »
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:01:54 AM by masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal