Author Topic: Well, it is automotive powered....  (Read 42337 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Well, it is automotive powered....
« Reply #195 on: August 09, 2015, 09:24:26 AM »
glad you got it done yourself but after looking at the pics i am still wondering why that company built that the way they did when they have that massive steel bumper with tons more room for a far better hinge support!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #196 on: August 09, 2015, 11:41:20 AM »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:57:30 AM by Yummi »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: August 09, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »
I see no downside to your idea on the caster.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #198 on: August 09, 2015, 01:07:01 PM »
anything to stabilize that end is better than nothing! but looks like it should work. a spring loaded caster will just allow for some bounce still though. i don't see a spring loaded in your drawing just the pics you posted earlier but still.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2015, 01:21:26 PM »
 ;D ;D

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2015, 01:23:49 PM »
anything to stabilize that end is better than nothing! but looks like it should work. a spring loaded caster will just allow for some bounce still though. i don't see a spring loaded in your drawing just the pics you posted earlier but still.

I cant figure out a spring load with adjustment both up and down.  The goal is to have it slide onto the bumper, just make contact, as the gate shuts.  I fear with a spring it would want to extend when the gate is opened?  And I am still left with figuring it out. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2015, 03:43:20 PM »
No spring . A spring would not be a bit better than the pivot all by itself. The caster,if that is what you decide upon, needs to be positive height adjustment(threaded shaft if you feel adjustment is desirable) with no give.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2015, 04:27:25 PM »
OK,

So here is the trailer rework.  The goal was to make the gate have more room to open.  When the new bumper was installed it resulted in less than 11" of "open width"  Not really enough room for the doggy to get in.  Did not get a picture of that. 

Here is before:

There was dead space and the spare even with old carrier would hit.  Just barley enough for hoodlum to jump in. 

So, I figured the tire and battery needed to move backwards.  The cargo rack stymied that idea on the tire.  Decided to cut rack in half.  Made 11" wide rear rack for extra water, battery and loo.  Allowed the tire to move backwards towards the box.  Then, using the rest of the salvage rack, filled in the front to carrier a chest on what was previously unused open space.

It allows the gate to open wide enough for fido.  He can have an extra cookie now. 

The "next time" was this area.  The rear support is sq tube 1" with brace.  The weight (Battery and water) is primarily over the main rails.  Well, when I got to the front needed to check jack clearance.  No bueno.  So front is mounted using 2"  angle to allow enough height for clearance of the jack.  Guess I should of checked that before using tube on the lower.   

When doing this I realized that the tire needs to be moved up some.  Ideally I would have laid the spare flat inside the tongue, and built a rack over it.  It had a few rocks in the treads.  So, I will try to raise it.  There is about 4" inside of the wheel to play with vertically. 

Maybe plate?  Straight  up?

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2015, 04:29:51 PM »
No spring . A spring would not be a bit better than the pivot all by itself. The caster,if that is what you decide upon, needs to be positive height adjustment(threaded shaft if you feel adjustment is desirable) with no give.

I figure it needs to adjust.  Hence the threaded rod.  I was thinking fixed caster as opposed to shopping cart whirly style.  Simple arc. 

Short of bringing a cross bar over to other side of bumper, is there a better way?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: August 09, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »
I believe from what you are saying you have a good plan of what to do. Sounds good to me.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #205 on: August 09, 2015, 08:10:53 PM »
looks good

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #206 on: August 30, 2015, 11:09:48 AM »

Ordered these up a while back. They were sitting in my garage for a bit.  Now I can bash rocks.

Before and after pictures attached. As always the dog was none too impressed with the project. I like them because you can keep the Rubi Rails.

\

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2015, 11:19:25 AM »
Got around to doing the hinges / gate issue.  The one thing I really liked about this carrier design was the single latch.  As everybody pointed out, it was likely an issue waiting to happen. 

Two fold solution.  First new hinges.  (I still have to do the bottom, that has a lot of stuff to be removed;  not this weekend.) 

Here is the stock hinge.  Curious they paint after hinge install.  Might have to hit that area with some form of paint? 

Old vs. New

Old detail:

New detail

The second area to address was the vertical support of the weight on the outside of the gate.  Again, really like single latch operation.  So a "gate caster" seemed to be the solution. 

Used some non skid tape to protect the bumper from the wheel. 

Adjusted it to just touch with the spare off.  Then, when the spare was placed on, it seems to be just about perfect to support some weight on the outside of the gate. 

Cant really see it unless you look. 

Not visible at all:

We will see if it works / holds up.  I think it will.  Will likely have to adjust it once the wheel wears a bit, etc. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »
perfect.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #209 on: September 17, 2015, 05:37:54 PM »
Jeesh, been a while.  You would have thought I had forgot about this adventure.  Now I don't really know if these work.  I figure anything that can let heat escape from under the hood must have some function?  Besides, I like they way a louvered hood looks.  Lots of options; decided on the Poison Spider unit. 

Trying for some trail time this weekend in Sedona.  Hope that works out. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal