Author Topic: Well, it is automotive powered....  (Read 42352 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: Well, it is automotive powered....
« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »
You saw the pivot on the bumper? 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #181 on: July 30, 2015, 11:38:53 AM »
You saw the pivot on the bumper?

Yes I can see the pivot on the bumper.  That's like your wife trying to wear a size A bra, Something is going to snap when she go's to bouncing out across the rough terrain.  drowning In all actuality that pivot is the only thing holding the weight. The two rod's with the rod end's are not doing anything to support any vertical weight, only the pin.   

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #182 on: July 30, 2015, 11:50:03 AM »
What your going to need is something that will pick up the weight of the tire,gas,water and rack.  Something the run's from the bottom of the rack to the top of something on the door.  Still going to have all the weight on the door but would help.  Also could have brace run from the rack down to the hitch.  Have some kind of a bracket on the hitch that the new rack could like slid over and rest the weight. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2015, 12:34:23 PM »
I see what you see fast but can't really see an easy fix.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »
You're on the right track Yummi. Something on the other end to support the weight of the rack when locked in position. Since the rack and the gate swing on different archs, the single pivot on the bumper will still support the weight when opened.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2015, 05:28:46 PM »
Fast, I get what you are saying, like a gate tension wire.  Without a vertical on the hinge side, I am somewhat stymied.  Best that could be done is top hinge to lower gate.  Still places all the weight on the hinge?

Did some looking.  My idea is a essentially a "gate caster" with a fixed caster, not swivel.  Don't know if spring loaded would be rq. or if adjustable via thread and jamb nut would be better?

Here are some gate caster ideas.

Here is a bed caster idea with no spring.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:12:49 PM by Yummi »

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2015, 07:49:10 PM »
Been thinking about this today while laying rock. I think you need a "latch side" support coming off the bumper. Doesn't need to be fancy,just something for the rack to rest on when closed. Something like the pivot but used as a steady rest.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #187 on: July 30, 2015, 11:23:27 PM »
I have always just put a latch on the end that supports the spare and keeps it in place. I think the back and forth motion will wear on the stock latch. If you support the other end, that pivot will be fine.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2015, 05:13:06 AM »
Thats a hefty pivot and probably fine for street use and I dont think it need any support when parked.  But the bounce and jar of offroad can/will tear up the most well thoughtout design.  So I'd vote for a solid support latch type thing.  Even better if it didnt have to "latch" cause then you'd have 2 latches to undo to open the door.  Just a solid rest spot after a long day of wheeling, cause that bracket will be tired.   ;D
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #189 on: July 31, 2015, 07:21:29 AM »
This is what I have pictured in my foggy mind.  You mite have to make the support bracket taller or put something on the bottom of the tire rack to accommodate this.  Any way this is what I am seeing.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: July 31, 2015, 09:23:24 AM »
Same here fast.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #191 on: July 31, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »
I will grab better pictures.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #192 on: July 31, 2015, 11:00:28 AM »
Maybe work with this bracket? Turn it up right with a resting shoe bolted on it?

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2015, 07:06:37 PM »
OK Fast, I have been pondering.  I think I came up with a way to do it.  Will work on that project next week or so. 

So, the trailer. Hooked it up with the new bumper and even less space for the fat dog than before.  Really needed to reconfigure the tongue area. The spare tire hit the battery box.  Then it would hit the spare on the trailer.  Got a couple of quotes for guys to chop chop weld weld.  Now I appreciate a strong skill set.  I have no trouble paying for a strong skill set.  Yikes.  You would have thunk I asked these guys to build a space shuttle. 

So, I tackled it myself.  It has been over 25 years since I even attempted welding.  The auto dark hood?  Best shit in the last decade.  That was always the hard part for me.  Had to buy a welder.  Nothing fancy.  Flux core 110v.  The thing did the trick!  It is fused.  I would not trust my life with my welding abilities, but for this?  It should hold up well. 

I am pleased with the results.  Not exactly what I wanted as I know my limitations so I reconfigured it to match my skill set.  I also have a "next time." I have manged to move the crap back so the tail gate opens, the dog can get into the Jeep, and the crap fits.  Surprisingly I did not burn myself.  I did not fling shit into my eyes while grinding, etc.  (Got a face shield just for Fabr - wore it too!)  So for less than 1/2 of the prices folks were saying I spent a day, have some new toys for the box, and have something that will work.  Will paint it tomorrow and work on getting it buttoned up. 

I will post pictures up later.  Right now I am pooped. 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2015, 11:04:55 PM »
Good job yummi!!! We are proud of you now. Feels pretty good doing it yourself doesn't it?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal