Author Topic: Crazy Fast Rear End  (Read 7363 times)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: Crazy Fast Rear End
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 12:05:03 AM »
Squiggly tubes.

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »
Ya, I copied those from Enemies car.  Triangulation is always the way to go.  Attached are 3 views.  I tried to convert to bmp but they aren't very clean so I included the pdf.  I left a couple of dimensions on there, the wheel base is 127 right now.  I still need to do some work around the seats to fix the supports in that area.  Generally I plan to used 3/16 steel plate that connects the Jeffco to the Hayabusa.  I also plan to use the 3/16 steel plate across the rear to connect the rear aarms to the frame and Jeffco.  To get that worked out I need to get my axles, i figure this will cut the wheel base a little as well.  When is that next pay check?  Oh Well.

Thanks for the input.

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 06:49:03 PM »
Another question.  Why don't people connect the rear shocks to the upper A-arm?  Seems like it would protect the shock from rocks and debris hitting it.  I was also thinking I would have to support the upper arm which would make a cage around the axle if something where to go wrong.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »
Another question.  Why don't people connect the rear shocks to the upper A-arm?  Seems like it would protect the shock from rocks and debris hitting it.  I was also thinking I would have to support the upper arm which would make a cage around the axle if something where to go wrong.

I would guess mostly because of how high that would put the top of the rear shock mount.  Actually I think that on the Barracuda the shock is attached to the top arm and the top of the shock is pretty high.

You really need to determine how long travel of shock that you are going to use which will determine how far out on the arm you would mount it.  Then you have to see if that is going to be inside or outside of the main tube running the perimeter of your frame and as the suspension travels how much it will swing in and out to clear the frame.  It gets kind of messy.

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 10:42:49 PM »
Here is a sketch of how I plan to mount the Jeffco and attach the Rear Aarms to the frame.  I will be cutting the blue parts out of 3/16" steel using a plasma CNC table.  Any thoughts? thanks.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 05:26:31 AM »
See the slots for adjustment, and I'm guessing a turnbuckle up top to ajust back and forth.  The two plates on the drawing above the Jeffco, ???
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 09:45:32 PM »
Ya, some type of turn buckle on top for adjustment.  The items above are what is going to connect the rear aarms to the frame.  I plane to have the frame go thru the 1.25" holes.  The long part fits in the knotch at the lower right under the Jeffco and will be boxed. in.

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 11:42:51 AM »
Well after a lot of thought on it I think I am going back to the 6 link setup.  Are you guys using the aluminium steering links are are those steel?  Thanks,

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »
I think DS has used alum but went to steel .
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 09:33:35 PM »
I bought a bunch of tube adapters from Doug Heim and went steel.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 05:47:57 AM »
Forward links are steel, alum for side links.  But DS did do all steel on this ride, prob another 10lbs.  I'd say depends on cars weight, and use?
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 07:13:05 AM »
all my inboards are t6061 aluminum and lateral rods (forwards) are steel.  I think the aluminum rods would work for light weight in the lateral position but make sure... no matter what.... when you mount the shock on the carrier......  you mount directly over the axle or 1" - 2" in front of. if you mount it behnind the axle you'll apply to much load to the lower lateral rod, well if your rail is heavy enough and your jumping it, when it collapses you will not be happy! lol

I tried the aluminum lateral rods on my v-6 rail because I used them on all the mini's in the past and dunebound 69 runs them on his v6 but I messed up and had to mount the shock behind the axle. that happened once and the laterals went steel and the shock was moved forward, problem solved.  that v-6 rail probably weighed 1800 lbs though where my current is probably 1100 lbs and that v-6 engine was 400 lbs alone plus the 110 lb transaxle coulped to it.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 07:21:31 AM »
Well after a lot of thought on it I think I am going back to the 6 link setup.  Are you guys using the aluminium steering links are are those steel?  Thanks,

with the a-arms setup you  could play with a sway bar idea but I just believe this would be to difficult with the multi link. why not mount the shocks directly in board instead of out on the side on a a-arm rear?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal