Author Topic: CVT Info  (Read 18897 times)

Admin

Re: CVT Info
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »
Boostim, remember, this is IMO only, except that you cannot get 1:1 shift, that is just plain fiction... ;D

Admin

« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2008, 06:18:06 PM »
I guess you haven't seen one that has shredded the belt with an idiot on the hammer...any fool can tell you DO NOT REV THE ENGINE WITHOUT THE BELT. tHE CLUTCH IS DESIGNED TO ONLY SHUT AS FAR AS THE BOTTOM OF THE BELT THATS tHE SKINNY SIDE OF THE TAPER...EFFEN CAPS LOCK wich is a little over an inch on a standard polaris sled belt, after that the spring pressure sky rockets and the weights get damaged...why don't you go pull the belt off yer drak...rev the motor till it blows come back and tell me I'm wrong

if i take the belt off, i will have weight pushing on the outer edge of the sheeves and at the base, that wouldn't make much sense would it?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2008, 06:19:53 PM »
since I want to make my own chaincase and was informed that changing ratios in the case is not the way to go.  Does anyone know the ratio's of stock polaris clutching or where to find it. 
I was assuming clutch engagement and shifting would be tuned to peak torque since that is the way I understand this type of set up is designed to work.  I am looking for numbers here.  Words don't work well in calculations.  And I am trying to get this fiqured out before making any parts.  I have seen 10:1 from engine to axle recommended often, but I do not have a 900lb, 120hp, 100mph machine with 25" tires.  So I want to figure this stuff out for myself.  Spec, your woods type riding conditions are close to what I will be experiencing so I value your input, but this pissing match isn't doing anybody and good.  Tuning info is easy to find,  clutch dia and ratios is a lot harder.
This post has been edited due to content.

Admin

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2008, 06:23:12 PM »
Not a pissing match at all, Oh BTW a loaded video....

SPEC

« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2008, 06:23:32 PM »
Spring pushes...weights pull...no it wouldn't Pull your head out
Think about your last post...Dude has prolly I don't know 30 horse on tap single when the clutch is enguaged the motor doen't have the brute grunt we with multiple cylenders have to fall back on... One CVT deal and your an expert...Why don't you finish the sled power for me

Admin

« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2008, 06:23:56 PM »
I was assuming clutch engagement and shifting would be tuned to peak torque since that is the way I understand this type of set up is designed to work.  I am looking for numbers here.  Words don't work well in calculations.  And I am trying to get this fiqured out before making any parts.  I have seen 10:1 from engine to axle recommended often, but I do not have a 900lb, 120hp, 100mph machine with 25" tires.  So I want to figure this stuff out for myself.  Spec, your woods type riding conditions are close to what I will be experiencing so I value your input, but this pissing match isn't doing anybody and good.  Tuning info is easy to find,  clutch dia and ratios is a lot harder.

what is redline rpm? and peak torque? do you have them numbers?

Admin

« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2008, 06:25:49 PM »
Think about your last post...Dude has prolly I don't know 30 horse on tap single when the clutch is enguaged the motor doen't have the brute grunt we with multiple cylenders have to fall back on... One CVT deal and your an expert...Why don't you finish the sled power for me
WTF are you talking about now, are you telling me there is no weight pushing on the drive clutch sheeve?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2008, 06:27:57 PM »
I just want to throw this in...
mine is bigger than yours and I can write my name in the snow.

SPEC

« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2008, 06:30:47 PM »
No the spring pushes to keep the primary open.
The weights with centrifical force pull the primary closed.
Ya know bug I conceed your right as ALWAYS You may be able to get a full 1 to 1...Ive just never seen it on a marked and measured system that last vid looked close
boost I don't know the numbers on your atv,but go out to the shop and measure the clutches

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2008, 06:30:57 PM »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Admin

« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2008, 06:31:56 PM »

I dont have 20 yrs of snowmobiling under my belt no, but i have spent a lot of hours researching the field, and have tried a lot off different combos, turned a few belts upside down, What causes that BTW? Dont tell me you cant get 1:1 shifting and not expect an argument...I know many old dogs who think they know all the tricks, Have yet to see one that does either...Look at my video to BTW...you can clearly see overdrive loaded...

SPEC

« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2008, 06:32:59 PM »
I'm done here...Happy new year

Admin

« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2008, 06:33:41 PM »
No the spring pushes to keep the primary open.
The weights with centrifical force pull the primary closed.
Ya know bug I conceed your right as ALWAYS You may be able to get a full 1 to 1...Ive just never seen it on a marked and measured system that last vid looked close
boost I don't know the numbers on your atv,but go out to the shop and measure the clutches

A tra clutch the weights push the sheeve closed... gg: gg: gg:

and if you look at the atv clutches, they generally use roller weights that also push the clutch closed...

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2008, 06:34:12 PM »
damn, I can't keep up with the posts, I'm going after a pic of the dyno chart. will be back.

SPEC

« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2008, 06:35:26 PM »
Thats exactly what I fxxkin said

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal