Author Topic: Type 4 joints  (Read 1333 times)

plkracer

Type 4 joints
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:41:46 PM »
Looking for all pros on this.... If I remember correctly, the type 4 can go to 22 degrees. I remember someone saying it could go more than that with the right boot, I think it was Rick? Have you tested this? I;m wondering because if i could get 24 out of them I could get 14 inches out of my rear setup and then I wouldn't need to go to 930's to have an advantage. The boots on the jetta hubs allow 24 degrees easily, so I think I am set there.

BTW, anyone have some for sale? I fell through on the deal with doug for some type 4's thinking that the 20 degrees with the jetta hubs is enough, but if I could get 24, it would add a lot of travel.

Or maybe it's time to make some custom inners? Put them at 29 degrees, max out the shocks, and get close to 16 inches??? only problem with that is that the axle would need to plunge...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:46:21 PM by plkracer »

Rick S.

Re: Type 4 joints
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:14:09 PM »
Doug was running over 22 degrees on his RC51 Piranha with a modified boot.
To get over 22 degrees you need to be sure that the cv stars favor the outside of the joints (away from the flanges) and you need custom wide and low profile flanges.  Or boots that mount to the outside of the cv. Also you need to have very little plunge in the geometry. And race prep the cv's.  I think you can get upwards of 25 if you can meet all of the above conditions.
I am able to cycle my new rear with 25 degrees and no binding or clicking. I've never tested it under power though, but I believe it will be fine because it's so smooth when I cycle it now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal