Author Topic: Radiator  (Read 6694 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Radiator
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 02:21:28 PM »
Depends on core construction.I have a buddy with a rad shop and he says  rad cores are just pressed imto the end tank bulkheads when used with plastic end tanks and epoxy sealed.Not good for welding on end tanks. Stronger cores will be either furnace brazed or welded into tank bulkheads and are the ones to use to fab your own rad from.

That's kinda what I figured....So best bet is just to buy a core.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2009, 04:54:10 PM »
If you're going to fab your own yes but make sure the core is not an epoxy core even then.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »
My radiator is Scirocco size, with corrected inlet and outlets. I basically had the radiator built around this fan>
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FLX-365&N=700+400226+4294838842+115&autoview=sku

There is a Dart of my friends running around on the street on very hot summer nights and its keeping his ride cool (9.90's car on the track) He is using a Scirocco radiator and these fans as well. More than up to the task ;)

I had my radiator built from these guys>
http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/157/

This is my 3rd radiator from these guys, exactly how I needed it everytime. Never picked up a phone to talk to them either! (Mine are all fairly simple designs although..) >
http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/Build_Your_PRC_Cross_Flow/Custom_Build_Step_1.php

Not tooo bad of a price for a custom built from shopping around..
That's whats working for me! Hope it helps out. :)
Enemy,what size radiator did you get? Their website SAYS they make a scirocco size radiator but when I called I thought I had contacted the Twilight Zone! Sheesh! Anyway Would you be nice enough to post up a few pics of your install and provide some dimensions?  I'm interested in seeing what you did for mounting the fan to the radiator.DId they provide mounting bosses on the tanks or what?   I bought the fan you mentioned and also the controller.I like that controller idea a lot! 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 01:07:05 PM »
Enemy,what size radiator did you get? Their website SAYS they make a scirocco size radiator but when I called I thought I had contacted the Twilight Zone! Sheesh! Anyway Would you be nice enough to post up a few pics of your install and provide some dimensions?  I'm interested in seeing what you did for mounting the fan to the radiator.DId they provide mounting bosses on the tanks or what?   I bought the fan you mentioned and also the controller.I like that controller idea a lot!

Sorry to hear about the bad phone calls to SRS! Always been a good company for me. (but then I have never had to "talk" to them either..lol)
I am not in the area of my car till later tonight, so I will post up some specs and pics when I get home..
 You'll like that controller, it does a great job!
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 01:12:36 PM »
Thanks , that would be great! I don't know if the guy was just having a bad day or what but I decided it best to just politely say I'd call back later. I'll likely still use them since you say they are good but I will say that otherwise a,fter that call ,I'd have likely written them off my list.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
I'll likely still use them since you say they are good but I will say that otherwise after that call ,I'd have likely written them off my list.

Good product, YES! Although, you have now dealt with them on more of a personal level than I ever had to. Two sides to every company I guess ???  :)

OK, here's my dimensions to utilize as much of the fan as possible without having them build an odd-ball core ;D Core is 20"L x 12"H.. The core width they use is approx. 2 1/4" total (the tubes are those 1" flat oval design)

Tank to tank is 24". The "filler neck" side tank is slightly larger than the "return" side tank. 1" inlet and outlet. 1/8" pipe bung under the inlet tube (*hint*I should of had them put 2 bungs on it!!!!!!! ;) ;))

I used and modified the fan brackets that came with the Flex-A-Lite sciroco fans and welded them to the top and bottom of the radiator. I installed a Weather-Pack connector on the power leads of so radiator and fans can be removed as one complete unit.

To sum it up
 I need to build vibration type mounting solution like I did with the intercooler. I am not seeing any cracking on the mounts YET, but it is just a matter of time like DS has going on right now.

I don't get a lot of natural air flow where mine is located. Normal and heavy driving, temps are right on the money on the hottest of days. 6th gear pulls for one mile at 8 psi of boost, the gauge will start to creep up into the 220 areas. So if it was in a more efficient mounting area and I don't think she would ever warm up!   :m;D

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 04:34:37 PM »
I like what I see.Too bad it was too dark when I saw the car  last. Any idea how thick aluminum the tanks are made of? 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2009, 04:35:36 PM »
I'm thinking I will weld bosses onto the tanks for the fan mounts.Think the tanks will take that?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2009, 04:56:57 PM »
My little Miller metal thickness gauge puts them at 14GA or a bit thicker. I think the tanks would be able to take that.....As long is its not ME welding it with my wild Spool-A-Matic! I have a bad habit of blowing large holes into things that are aluminum and pressurize... :m Hence why I have other people weld stuff like that for me...

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2009, 05:01:38 PM »
I'm thinking I will weld bosses onto the tanks for the fan mounts.Think the tanks will take that?

Taking a minute and picturing it being done that way would be a lot cleaner look IMO. Staring at my radiator I like it even more...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2009, 07:21:35 PM »
thanx for the info!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 08:18:52 PM »
Ok got mine ordered.THe order process sucked also  but that was probably just a glitch from the ancient Dial up crap I have.LOL!!! Their website says you can get a 23" wide but they don't offer it anymore.I asked why the other day and they said it was too much trouble.Go figure.Like this hasn't been a bother.  ::) ::) Oh well your pics look like I'll like it when it gets here and the price was IMO quite reasonable for a custom radiator. ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal