Author Topic: Radiator overflow tank  (Read 4060 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Radiator overflow tank
« on: February 24, 2009, 08:03:40 AM »
Should the overflow tank be mounted level with the radiator, above, below, or does it matter.  Place I had in mind is about level with the bottom of radiator.  I know the coolant will flow down just curious if it will go back up??
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: Radiator overflow tank
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:16:19 AM »
Should the overflow tank be mounted level with the radiator, above, below, or does it matter.  Place I had in mind is about level with the bottom of radiator.  I know the coolant will flow down just curious if it will go back up??

Carlriddle

Ifen you rad cap is sealed right and over flow line to the puke tank is tight it will hold a vaccum when hot and allow the stystem to suck the water back in as it cools.  To answer your question no it doesn't matter. IMO. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:24:23 AM »
Thats the answer I wanted to hear. ;D
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:38:06 AM »
IF the radiator cap is a coolant recovery type yes it will draw coolant back into the system as the coolant cools and contracts. This also helps prevents trapped air in the system since it will usually self purge any air. Just make sure that there is no air leaks between the rad cap and the coolant recovery tank.Also keep in mind the end of the hose MUST be kept in coolant at all times or it will introduce air back into the system.  I agree with fast
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:39:59 AM by Masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 08:44:27 AM »
the cap for the overflow needs to be above the cap for the radiator....

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 08:56:36 AM »
the cap for the overflow needs to be above the cap for the radiator....

Yoshi
That would depend allot on what type of overflow tank you were using.  If the tank dose not have a down tube in it and the coolent runs in the top only then yes the tank would have to be above the rad cap. if not you would induce air back into the stystem.  But if you are using a puke tank that has a down tube in it where the coolent go's in the bottom and has to fill the puke tank to then puke out the that tank can be below the rad cap. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:08:10 AM »
Yoshi
That would depend allot on what type of overflow tank you were using.  If the tank dose not have a down tube in it and the coolent runs in the top only then yes the tank would have to be above the rad cap. if not you would induce air back into the stystem.  But if you are using a puke tank that has a down tube in it where the coolent go's in the bottom and has to fill the puke tank to then puke out the that tank can be below the rad cap.
I was assuming we were talking about a pressurized overflow system, and you would then use the overflow to add fluid........

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:22:17 AM »
I was assuming we were talking about a pressurized overflow system, and you would then use the overflow to add fluid........

Damm now your getting all fancy talk on me.  (Pressurized) Way above my head.   ??? ??? ???

All I know is that if your overflow tank coolent comes in from the bottom and has to seek a level before it exit's the tank then that will allow coolent to remain a the inbound port to be returned to the rad as it cools.  Not indusing air to the stystem. That way the tank can be placed below or at lest mid way of the radiator.

Admin

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 09:48:08 AM »
that would be an expansion tank not a puke tank... ;D

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 09:52:11 AM »

Offline Jerry

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 05:41:53 PM »
Bugpac what setup are you using?

SPEC

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 05:44:54 PM »
Maybe I was thinking about Spec's thunder jug. ;D ;D ;D

Huh?
HE HE HE HE HE

Admin

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 05:47:01 PM »
Bugpac what setup are you using?

Im gonna add a puke tank, I havent sourced one yet tho, I did debate an expansion tank, but the only proper way to do that is to remove the rad cap from the rad...

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 07:40:36 PM »
Just like a straw pulls pop from the bottom of a cup.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

plkracer

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 08:28:23 PM »
I'm disappointed master... it's atmospheric pressure that pushes the liquid up the straw....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal