Author Topic: Basic Dwg. of chaincase idea......Whataya think?  (Read 11678 times)

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
  • Monster Bug is here run for your LIFE!!!
Basic Dwg. of chaincase idea......Whataya think?
« on: February 18, 2009, 07:17:28 PM »
Here, see what you think......Here is a quick design I made for the above Idea, basically its just a housing likely out of steel for now and then I will make it out of Aluminum, CNC'd once I know it will work. I plan on two 530 chains on matching sprockets inside, and running them on 1.5" o.d. shafts through carrier or pillow block bearings on either side of the case, what do you think??
"The best things in life are free".........RIIIGHT, He's never been to Glamis!

Bajas RULE!!

Admin

Re: Basic Dwg. of chaincase idea......Whataya think?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:22:31 PM »
looks good, but timing two chains and adjusting for stretch is not likely do able... why not use a 530 2 row chain?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 08:58:53 PM »
This post has been edited due to content.

Admin

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:00:59 PM »
would two chains wear alike, and what if timing of the sprockets was one degree off, what chain would do more work? why not a off the shelf silent chain?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
My theory is that after a break in period, the two chains would share the load.  if you use two off the shelf sprokets and bolt them  on with the same bolts, they will be in time.  if they are off slightly, one will wear enought that the other one takes on the extra load and from then on the load will be distributed evenly.  As for the silent chain.....cost.

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 09:13:37 PM »
I would have to agree with Boostn, the two if installed new would wear in together allowing for even distribution since one would stretch then the other would be forced to do the same....or at least that's the theory....

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 09:31:08 PM »
My theory is that after a break in period, the two chains would share the load.  if you use two off the shelf sprokets and bolt them  on with the same bolts, they will be in time.  if they are off slightly, one will wear enought that the other one takes on the extra load and from then on the load will be distributed evenly.  As for the silent chain.....cost.
I also agree, I am working on a new dual chain setup and I was concerned in the beginning about one stretching more than the other, but if you think about it, one chain can't stretch more than the other since it has to pull on the other chain at the same time, so right after break in, I think they would have the exact same amount of slack as one another.  I'll be running dual 630's on my setup...

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 09:33:44 PM »
What in the hell makes enough power to need twin 630's? :o

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 09:41:58 PM »
What in the hell makes enough power to need twin 630's? :o
What i'm doing may actually need 3.....::)

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 07:49:59 AM »
NO SECRETS! Lets see it!!

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 07:52:15 AM »
I also agree, I am working on a new dual chain setup and I was concerned in the beginning about one stretching more than the other, but if you think about it, one chain can't stretch more than the other since it has to pull on the other chain at the same time, so right after break in, I think they would have the exact same amount of slack as one another.  I'll be running dual 630's on my setup...

Plus, with the typical power plant, you will likely have less stretch than usual as well due to the higher total strength of the two.

Bajas RULE!!

Admin

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 07:53:18 AM »
2- 100 dollar chains 4 sprocket mounting, i have to imagine a 2" silent chain off the shelf with gears splined would be cheaper, and much stronger IMO.. fabber has all the contact info, may be worth looking at...

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 09:08:38 AM »

Admin

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 09:24:23 AM »
yes, but the design of the silent chain makes it stronger in our application than a standard 530 chain... maybe not tensile strength, but in the real world... fabbers car was a 3" i think, maybe 4, new design is 2, fabber offer your wisdom here...

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 09:33:50 AM »
I guess Yoshi gonna put 18" wide slicks on the nitrous/turbo busa powered smart car??  Its just gonna flip over backwards, probably should go ahead and put wheelie bar mounts on frame while your welding.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal