Author Topic: Cush drive unit  (Read 17002 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Cush drive unit
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2009, 11:30:17 PM »
I count 32 teeth.  What size chain?
This post has been edited due to content.

Rick S.

« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2009, 08:43:10 AM »
32T and a 14 or 15T on the jackshaft. Same arrangement coming from the engine.
looking for somewhere between 4.25-5.25:1
Krause 530 chain. I'm thinking around 46 to 50 links in the case and as long as possible on the external chain. possibly even dual 428.
I really think I should build another unit with the dual 428s inside and out.
I liked your dual chain idea from the start. I like it more and more since working on the arrangement for Alex's Geo.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »
I have still been tinkering with the dual chain setup.  I managed to cram your cush drive into it and keep the pitch diameter down to 7.65" and flange width to 1.75" for type 2/4 joints. Reducing number of parts and parts cost now.  Also, I think I can lighten it up a bit. Still tinkering though....

Rick S.

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2009, 01:24:24 PM »
Why don't you post up pics of yours so we can critique it. ;D
Is it enclosed? I'd like to see how you are keeping it that thin. The (2) 428 chains alone are 1 9/16 wide. That's side by side with the pins against each other. Are the poly slugs outboard of the cv's? Is this why the P.D. is so large?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »
Put your drawings and my pics that I posted in my pilot thread side by side. Then imagine them humping in the corner and what the kids would look like. ;D  I blended yours and mine together and the compromise was the slightly larger pitch diameter.  I also switched to 420 chain so I could buy alloy blanks with the tooth count I needed.  That will help with the with the cost, weight and # of parts.

Rick S.

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2009, 07:24:04 PM »
You need to explode your view so I can see what's going on. ???
The model in your pilot thread is much wider than 1-3/4 flange to flange.
It's fine if you don't want to share it ;D

Rick S.

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2009, 09:52:08 PM »
I've been busy tonight. Made the bronze flange bushings and put it all together.
Indicating every diameter within .0005 paid off. It all went together nice with zero radial chatter. Ive got about .015 side to side which is actually about half of what I expected.
CV flanges are next.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2009, 09:59:52 PM »
Once again... Great work! Must be catching up on all the customers stuff to have time to play again huh?

I just caught up too. Just waiting on order's shocks and what not to come in. Keep doing work like that Rick and you will be a busy man.

I rarely have time for my own stuff now. I recently had a buyer for my Cuda and he is wanting to fly in to look at it. If I sell it I dont think Ill have a bugy for awhile. That would suck! But cant pass up the cash either  8)

Rick S.

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2009, 10:07:54 PM »
I actually did just finish up a side job. I built 16 heavy duty computer monitor and keyboard arms. (for an investment casting company) I had another machinist help out with those. I'm thinking about getting another mill and a rotary phase converter. Now that I'm only working 40hrs I've got lots of time for side work. And I seem to be getting more and more as the word gets out.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2009, 05:31:52 AM »
I have a rotary and will never go back. If you can find a 3 axis CNC knee mill that's the way to go for in a garage! Really opens up allot of possibilities!

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2009, 05:32:23 PM »
I've got my eye on this one.  http://www.cncmasters.com/CNC%20Supra%20Knee%20Mill.htm  Lady that wants the house should be here tommarrow to look at it again so we can play let's make a deal.   ;D  Maybe I can go shopping soon.

magnum4598

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2009, 07:54:34 PM »
as i see it that is only a 32 tooth sprocket where are you getting enough gearing to make this work

magnum4598

« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2009, 07:56:35 PM »
www.use-enco.com sells what you are talking about doug its around 25 thousand for a new one i want to see if i can get it financed

Rick S.

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2009, 08:05:35 PM »
Jackshaft arrangement. Probably dual 428 chains outside the enclosed box.

magnum4598

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »
i read back and saw that rick looks good but can i ask why do all of this what gain will you get from a cush drive enclosing the chain would be cool it keeps it lubed just curious

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal