Author Topic: Low oil pressure when engine gets hot........  (Read 2353 times)

robndeb

Low oil pressure when engine gets hot........
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:20:45 PM »
When our buggy gets warm, around 200 to 210 or so, the oil pressure hovers between 10 to 15 at an idle and around 30 or so at anything above an idle. Is this normal?

SPEC

Re: Low oil pressure when engine gets hot........
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 04:30:26 AM »
Rob thats pretty common in all 4 stroke engines ;D
You've never noticed that on your daily driver car? ;D

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »
When our buggy gets warm, around 200 to 210 or so, the oil pressure hovers between 10 to 15 at an idle and around 30 or so at anything above an idle. Is this normal?

Hell, that's pretty good for a Busa at hot idle! No worries.. ;)
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

robndeb

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »
Rob thats pretty common in all 4 stroke engines ;D
You've never noticed that on your daily driver car? ;D

My daily driver has an idiot light for oil pressure, maybe that's what I need on the buggy, so I'm not stressing on the gauge all the time. :o

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:31:17 AM »
Hey Rob,

You and I are kind of in the same boat.  Nothing to do with oil pressure, just with worrying about shit that may go wrong. 

So, this last weekend, I said fxxk it.  If I crash, roll, blow it up, whatever; just fxxk it.  Bounced it off the rev limiter a few times and kept it there till I made the transition of the razorback.  Come to find out it was a good time.  Now I am not saying I had my head up my ass, just saying I left the worries at the trailer.   It was a good way to end the weekend and it held up just fine.  Built my confidence in the car and it's limits. 

Relax and enjoy buddy, plenty to worry about after it breaks - don't get yourself worked up over mays mights and coulds.   

Now to everyone else, I am not advocatting complete lack of awareness ie: car, etc, just suggesting to Rob a little less worry / stress and A LOT more fun. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »
Hey Rob,

You and I are kind of in the same boat.  Nothing to do with oil pressure, just with worrying about shit that may go wrong. 

So, this last weekend, I said fxxk it.  If I crash, roll, blow it up, whatever; just fxxk it.  Bounced it off the rev limiter a few times and kept it there till I made the transition of the razorback.  Come to find out it was a good time.  Now I am not saying I had my head up my ass, just saying I left the worries at the trailer.   It was a good way to end the weekend and it held up just fine.  Built my confidence in the car and it's limits. 

Relax and enjoy buddy, plenty to worry about after it breaks - don't get yourself worked up over mays mights and coulds.   

Now to everyone else, I am not advocatting complete lack of awareness ie: car, etc, just suggesting to Rob a little less worry / stress and A LOT more fun.

That's excellent advice...cant be put any better Yummi  :)
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

70SSElky

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 12:11:21 PM »
Mine was lower than that even on a new build.  It gets pretty hot on big boost though.   I run an external oil cooler and after I notice the pressure drop, just as you describe...   I added a fan on my external cooler.   Much much better now. 

robndeb

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 03:39:56 PM »
After I go to the hotter stator, I'm hoping to free up enough juice to add a real oil cooler, not just the heat sink reservoir I have now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal