Author Topic: Electric Reverser  (Read 8758 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: Electric Reverser
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 01:27:02 AM »
The reverse chain into a normal sprocket will only contact a couple teeth and need to be held there with a lot of force.

This below I stold off someone else. It may not be perfect but it may inspire an idea. If I was making it I would try to get two chains in the center as they are dealing with more torque. Heck a person might be able build a simple case around this kinda thing and oil lube it. The chain feeding it is long enough to survive. You could even maybe move the top shaft back some to make the primary chain off the motor longer. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

07zx6r

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 08:26:56 PM »
if you used the setup above but put the flex plate on it own shaft. you could change the sprocket size and get whatever final ratio u want for the e-reverse.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2009, 08:34:30 PM »
if you used the setup above but put the flex plate on it own shaft. you could change the sprocket size and get whatever final ratio u want for the e-reverse.

True but that would need more parts. Those who have used electric starter reverse say they work but are a tad fast usually.

With the reduction it has I bet its pretty good. Better than directly driven.

I would wager a guess that it would be eaiser to gear it deep as you want from the top shaft down to the CV's and tailer the motors gearing from it TO the "gearbox" or "cassette" as its sometimes called.

Just my thoughts. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2009, 11:43:03 PM »
Buy a Goldwing motor, it's all ready built in.........

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 05:52:38 AM »
No shit. I think that has been suggested more than a few times. Is it the lack of aftermarket parts that makes them seem to be not as desirable?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2009, 10:09:53 AM »
One prob with Goldwings is I know they sell a lot of them but not as many as hotrod bikes and you certainly do not have as many Goldwings being wipedout by showoffs doing silly shit so a bit harder to get the good Goldwings.

The BIG goldwings will FLY though. I often think that Standfast would be setup to get a big Goldwing motor with reverse feeding into a car irs diff. I know he does not want the 90 degree turn due to the parasitic drag it imposes but I am wondering if the drag will not be less or equal to all the extra gears for his chainless idea (Unless of course they go with silent chain). 

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2009, 10:15:19 AM »
Oh yeah. Not ALL Goldwings have reverse either. So be mindful of that if you go that way.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 10:26:17 AM »
One prob with Goldwings is I know they sell a lot of them but not as many as hotrod bikes and you certainly do not have as many Goldwings being wipedout by showoffs doing silly shit so a bit harder to get the good Goldwings.

The BIG goldwings will FLY though. I often think that Standfast would be setup to get a big Goldwing motor with reverse feeding into a car irs diff. I know he does not want the 90 degree turn due to the parasitic drag it imposes but I am wondering if the drag will not be less or equal to all the extra gears for his chainless idea (Unless of course they go with silent chain). 
How far off center is the output shaft on the GW?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 10:48:43 AM »
Off to one side of the wheel. Not sure of the exact measurement.

It would likely not make for a short car due to a lil driveshaft but for a desert racer length can be your friend.

Also due to it not having to work around a single center rear tire you could offset the motor one way and driver the other if it was needed in a custom build so it was a nearly dead on alignment.

The Honda Trike Bike conversions are no longer than the regular bikes much if at all. So the driveshaft would be doable in that length.   
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:17:08 AM by Nutz4sand »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 11:07:56 AM »
what about the gw trikes?  they use car diff or something very close already. plus they have reverse. plus i think some have power steering dont they?
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2009, 11:15:48 AM »
I'd think offsetting the motor 6" or so would be no problem and car balance could be accounted for in driver or components placement.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 11:21:04 AM »
If going with the goldwing with electric reverse and a diff from a car a little homework on the diffs could shed light on a light one with relatively low drag.

Toss in precision bearings maybe and/or some $$$ slippery lube you might get rid of a lot of the parasitic drag for still a lot cheaper than other options and I would guess a lot easier.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »

One thing to keep in mind if you use a starter and flywheel, but you put the flywheel on a separate shaft with a reduction so that the reverse speed is slower.....  Then the flywheel may be going at warp speed when you are driving fast.  ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2009, 09:46:12 PM »
Good point! Might not be the safest idea.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2009, 10:12:18 PM »
The pics of the flex plate reverse I posted above are not mine but are in the construction phase.

I would like to think that the person DID make a scattershield around the flexplate before running it.

The chevy motors (or any car) engines do maybe 6000-7000 RPM if lucky.

The way thats set up with the gearing it appears to have with a high revving 600cc (Some of the 600cc nowdays will go past 14,000 crank rpm easy) that flex plate could go past 10,000 rpm even there and if it flys apart its gonna be looking for something to take with it. Once a part of it goes the rest will head off quick. Likely in all directions.   

I will also note that they WELDED the flexplate to the center hub they used. I would not recommend nor do this myself.

I would have made a flange on the hub to match the bolt pattern of the flexplate. Welded the flange then trued it up on a lathe. Then bolted the flexplate to it.

There is a bit I do not like about the layout. Other than its methoed of giving a fair geared reverse for electirc start being a bit better (IMO) than on the spool itself down low.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal