Author Topic: motorcycle engine minibuggy.  (Read 5772 times)

samsonjohn

motorcycle engine minibuggy.
« on: December 11, 2010, 04:07:58 PM »
Hello guys. im pretty new to 4 wheels. i have started my build of a single seat mini buggy but am still working out what type of engine to use.

can you guys explain to me what you need to run a 600cc motorcycle engine in a mini buggy. i dont need or want reverse just keep it simple.

what do i need? to run the engine and power the wheels. what type of transmission and all the stuff in the middle please. pictures of a motorcycle set up would be nice what type of axle is needed can i use a solid axle?

thank you
John

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: motorcycle engine minibuggy.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 05:32:31 PM »
There are lots of ways to do it.  How much wheel travel do you want?  Do you want IRS?

I would suggest you go to the "projects" section and look at how some people are doing it.

samsonjohn

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 05:56:34 PM »
there is no suspention on the kart at all. im building http://www.badlandbuggy.com/plans_Velociraptor.html i just want to know what i need to do.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 06:18:27 PM »
Motorcycle engine has a clutch and tranny.  All you need is chain and a sprocket on the rear axle.  But I would check the length of your motor before building according to their plans because a MC engine is probably longer than the briggs they have shown.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:25:09 PM »
Also be of help to know what the doaner bike is - some are air cooled, some not - what do you have?

600 ccs might be a bit much for that plan; but you will learn a lot from the build and decide very quickly that it may be too much.

welcome to the site.
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

samsonjohn

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 06:45:23 PM »
both the bikes i have near to hand are zx6r a 2005 i think and a 2006 both around the same price both under7k miles. and the only reason i would even consider a 600cc motorcycle is because the industrial engines i was looking at were over 1100-1300$ for a 20-24hp v-twin so i might as well buy a 600cc motorcycle engine =D

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 06:49:01 PM »
Throw those plans in the garbage if you have a 600cc bike motor..
rethink the 1000 dollar buggy, save yourslf some time and heartbreak,  unless your looking to build a yard cruiser...Then...build a yard cruiser
If your going to build a buggy we will be ready willing and able to help you save some money and to help you do it right.
You don't need a shitload of travel but you do need some give alittle travel is really easy give it some thought

samsonjohn

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 07:11:27 PM »

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 07:16:18 PM »
We don't want you to "go home" in a bus or a box - think 250 or 125 if you stick with the current plan.   Looks like the cart is planed out for about 5 - 7.5hp briggs or equal.  Even a 125cc properly tuned would be nearly double it's design capacity. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

samsonjohn

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »
my very first thought was a 13hp from harbor and freight.  but then the plans i bought and the description it says 8-26hp industrial engine or 125-500cc snowmobile engine. so my thought was 13hp might be kind of small. it puts just under 500cc and around 17ft LB of torque. what do you guys think

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 08:03:49 PM »
liking that idea more than 600cc bike motor - also much easier to build - no shift linkage, no clutch, radiator, electrical system, etc.....gas and go and worry about brakes only.  Comet clutch, $349.00 or under for the motor.  Many plus sides to that idea.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engines/13-hp-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-66555.html

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 08:05:40 PM »
We don't want you to "go home" in a bus or a box - think 250 or 125 if you stick with the current plan.   Looks like the cart is planed out for about 5 - 7.5hp briggs or equal.  Even a 125cc properly tuned would be nearly double it's design capacity.

According to the site, it is designed for an 8-26 hp industrial engine.  I think the 250 would be decent, but be prepared for some challenges getting it situated in the frame.  Otherwise a 13-16 hp honda clone can be had for less than $400.  You must use a torque converter with the industrial engines or you will be sorely disappointed.  I have a 13hp clone here with a comet 40 torque converter on it that I was planning on using.  Any bigger than that requires a more expensive torque converter.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »
I like these guys for clone engines.  Last one got damaged in shipping and they quickly sent me a new side cover, recoil, and ignition switch and pod no questions asked. Prices are right in line with other clones.  I'm currently eyeballing the 16hp electric start for my new skid loader.

http://www.carrollstream.net/servlet/StoreFront

samsonjohn

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »
my thing is. if they say 8-26hp inst 13 on the low side that is why i started shopping around for larger engines.

would the buggy be sluggish or slow?

yea the industrial engines are so much easier.

what gear ratio would you guys say is best for both the 13hp industrial and the 250 ninja?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 09:19:47 PM »
would the buggy be sluggish or slow?

Compared to what?  I grew up racing karts with 5hp briggs engines and on some tracks they could get up to 70mph. 

You just have to be realistic about the whole thing.  With no suspension you are going to be limited on how fast you can go on rough terrain.  So no reason for tons of HP.  If you want a badass toy, it's going to cost you $$$.  IF you want something simple to get you started then stick to the plans.

Figure out what type of riding you want to do and what your budget and skills are. Then go from there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal