Author Topic: turbo boost reading???  (Read 9944 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: turbo boost reading???
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 11:16:04 AM »
When he said his turbo is the factory app for the Weber, he was taking about his Weber  engine, not a Weber carb.

What is this Weber engine you speak of?  A weber to me and Master is a carburator. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 11:19:57 AM »
Sandracer

It does not take a big leak to keep your boost from coming up. A very small leak at a connection will do it.  Check all the rubber connections and all the fitting to be sure you have no leaks.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 11:26:27 AM »
I was rying to help you out. I won't do so again if that's the way you want it.

Masterfabr,

Like I said in my last reply, I appreciate all your help and opinions from the past. I was just looking to find out when a turbo should start to make boost. Not trouble shooting help, YET. I am sure I will need some later if I cannot figure it out. I appreciate everyones opinion and help, yours included. And I am sure your help will be appreciated in the future if you are so inclined to offer it. I just hate to read threads where people are going back and forth like now and getting nothing accomplished, so that is where my frustartion comes in. So, lets drop it there and we can have a couple beers together at L/S in Sept.

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »
What is this Weber engine you speak of?  A weber to me and Master is a carburator.

The Weber motor I speek of is used or was used in Snow mobiles. It is a 750cc inline twin, fuel injected 72 hp stock. It is a German motor and are known to be a SOLID motor. Mark at Quenns claims he can get 190 hp out of them. I am making 130 right now. Or should be when I get the turbo dialed in. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 11:34:36 AM »
Sandracer

It does not take a big leak to keep your boost from coming up. A very small leak at a connection will do it.  Check all the rubber connections and all the fitting to be sure you have no leaks.

So now I will have to look for my issue. I will start as I said earlier with the farrels on the poly line. I probably over tightened them and pinched of the line. I only have 3 connections for it, manifold port and 2 poly line connections. From there I will start by adjusting the actuator rod on the wastegate to see if it makes any change.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
Snowmobile motor! well ok then.  What kind of RPM is this Weber motor suppose to make?  A picture of the set up would be worth a thousand words.

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 01:08:11 PM »
Rev limiter is at 8400. I have the CVt tuned at 8200. Here are some pics. I am at work so these are the only ones I have here.

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 01:09:58 PM »
I will meeting up with you guys at L/S in Sept. So if nothing else you can see it first hand there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 01:20:51 PM »
Bring a beer! ;) ;D ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 01:23:06 PM »
bring A beer? What will you drink?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 02:06:51 PM »
Are you putting a load on the motor?  No load = no boost.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »
No. I just started it for the first time in the garage and reved it up. I did not know that a load was needed. I have a broken support for the turbo so I can not really drive it. Well I should not drive it. It sucks seeing it just sit there. It has been almost 3 weeks since I have had it out. Why does a load help or needed?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 02:25:20 PM »
Why does a load help or needed?

You need to do some research if you have to ask this.  The simple version is that loading the motor produces hotter exhaust which spools up the turbo. No load=no heat=no boost. Like I said, that's the simple version....
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 02:32:02 PM »
No. I just started it for the first time in the garage and reved it up. I did not know that a load was needed. I have a broken support for the turbo so I can not really drive it. Well I should not drive it. It sucks seeing it just sit there. It has been almost 3 weeks since I have had it out. Why does a load help or needed?

You are hard pressed to get boost out of a turbo without a load.  It takes a load to generate heat.  Heat is what boost comes from. The exhaust has to be hot or you cant make boost.  A motor with no load will just zing up and the exhaust will never get hot.  The more the load the more fuel you burn so that makes more heat.  Heat makes boost.  Kind of like diesel.  A diesel will boost more if it is lugged. Once up on boost then the throttle can be backed out of.  IMO. 

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 02:54:51 PM »
Looks like I will need to do some research before I ask questions. I did not know about all of these variables. I always thought boost was from airflow alone. I did not realize heat played that much of a roll but it does make sense.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal