Author Topic: Wheel bearing quality  (Read 1904 times)

Snoopy

Wheel bearing quality
« on: May 21, 2010, 02:01:47 PM »
As some know I'm using the VW half shaft and hubs. The press fit bearings for those hubs are VERY different in price. The brand name of NATIONAL is about 50 to 60 bucks per bearing. Or I can get the BECK/ARNLEY bearings for as low as 15 bucks per bearing.
So I can buy and replace the cheapos 3 times over the cost of the new ones. BUT,  are the better ones really that much better and probably won't wear out in the next couple of years ? Don't know enough about wheel bearings and could use some good advice. :-\

When's the right time to be a cheapo ?
Thanks

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Wheel bearing quality
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:16:37 PM »
Now is a good time t cheap out IMO. Wheel bearings are ,IMO, some of the least likely to give you trouble. I have many times used the cheapies as I do not think that the high end stuff is much better. Generally speaking that is for our purposes.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline sandvw

• Fabricator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:55:05 PM »
Keep in mind if you run only at the dunes a long riding day at Glamis is 70-95 miles. It is not like a car for the highway. Cheap bearing with good grease.

LiveWire

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 01:16:22 PM »
If it is a Set35 bearing that will fit an '80 VW Rabbit CV (that I think you pictured in another thread), then ONLY use Timken. I bought a National and it looked identical to the $15 made in China bearing I got from a local auto parts store that did not carry Timken. I ran Timkens for many years. They only got replaced because I had to change my wheel hubs and did not have a bearing knife at the time to get the race off. The $15 bearing did not last one race and chewed up the hub and bearing carrier.

Snoopy

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 06:40:03 PM »
hhmmm,, welp, I ordered the beck/arnley bearing wich is the same company that made the hub. So I hope it works out, if not the replacement will be the better one. I took Fabrs advice and pulled the trigger. I guess time will tell if he really is a genius/master or just one of us.   :)    Thanks, Snoopy

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 07:39:48 PM »
That fabr guy is just full of shit. ;D ;D

(There's another for ya boost! LMAO LMAO rofl rofl rofl rofl)
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 06:32:27 AM »
I concur with the last post rofl LMAO rofl

Snoopy

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 05:57:32 PM »
I hope Fabr's not and you are. Or uh I hope your right and he's wron,,,   yeah. Who's on third

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal