Author Topic: cv external greaser's  (Read 2114 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
cv external greaser's
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:11:44 PM »
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/AC501930GR.html

I saw these and thought some of you might find these useful!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: cv external greaser's
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:01:29 PM »
this plate stands the cv off the drive flange 7/16".
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Odyknuck

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 01:28:38 PM »
You would have to use axels that are 7/8" shorter than design. There is another product that does the same thing however there mounted on the boot side. I dont recall off hand who offers them.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
Would there be room to drill between where the balls run, and add a zerk to the CV housing?  It's probably pretty hard I realize.  ;D

Can someone that runs 930's tell me how wide the housing is?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:32:04 PM »
Would there be room to drill between where the balls run, and add a zerk to the CV housing?  It's probably pretty hard I realize.  ;D

Can someone that runs 930's tell me how wide the housing is?

I believe the standard 930 cv housing is 1.75 deep or wide. there is a wide spot between the pair of cv balls that it could be done but then you would have to re-use the outer housing evertime you changed one out unless someone starts making them all that way. I wonder if two little holes would weaken the outer housing?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 06:00:48 AM »
What you gonna drill them with?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 06:16:22 AM »
I thought thats what you got that oven for Master? ;D  I like the idea of putting the zerk in the curved part of the stub, the part that the cv bolts to.  It can be drilled and less likly to rip off the zerk on a rock.

To grease or not to grease, its not really a question.   Grease.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 06:30:12 AM »
I thought thats what you got that oven for Master? ;D  I like the idea of putting the zerk in the curved part of the stub, the part that the cv bolts to.  It can be drilled and less likly to rip off the zerk on a rock.

I like how your thinking there Carl.  How wide is the bell from where the bearing butts up to the CV mounting surface?

What you gonna drill them with?

unobtanium drill bit.  ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 06:47:19 AM »
I thought thats what you got that oven for Master? ;D I like the idea of putting the zerk in the curved part of the stub, the part that the cv bolts to.  It can be drilled and less likly to rip off the zerk on a rock.

LMAO,Uhhhh,no.  ;D The cv race is induction hardened in just the tracks and left soft everywhere else for a reason. Can't do that in an oven. . Be better than nothing but the reason it's not done is that grease ,like water or electricity, will take the path of least resistance. First little path through just one of the ball tracks and ALL flow to other areas stop. You will not get even or even complete grease distribution. That was explained to me by a factory VW engineer many years ago when I was young and likely to search out answers. eyes YES! Grease is the answer but it has to get where it's needed.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 07:30:32 AM »
The cv's should be properly greased when installed.  Only using zerk for extra grease, but that brings up a point of, does it need extra?  The grease shouldn't be able to get out.  And there could be too much grease.  How much does the grease thin out under use?  Any additional grease should be added from the non boot side, its most likely where any contamination came from. 
Always wondered about some heavy gear oil.  Kinda like an oil bath.   nono  (gonna regret this last thought)
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 07:39:45 AM »

unobtanium drill bit.  ;D
EDMobtanium I Think it's called. ;) ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 08:47:24 PM »
LMAO,Uhhhh,no.  ;D The cv race is induction hardened in just the tracks and left soft everywhere else for a reason. Can't do that in an oven. . Be better than nothing but the reason it's not done is that grease ,like water or electricity, will take the path of least resistance. First little path through just one of the ball tracks and ALL flow to other areas stop. You will not get even or even complete grease distribution. That was explained to me by a factory VW engineer many years ago when I was young and likely to search out answers. eyesYES! Grease is the answer but it has to get where it's needed.

you are right! I have noticed that even with uj's that it is best to lift the axle or wheel to grease the uj's even. if they are at their tightest angle you can watch the grease squeeze out past the seals on 2 caps and if you keep pumping you might see a 3rd but if you lift and rotate the axle you will get the other 2 right off the bat! just an observation with all the uj rearends I have built and used.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal