Author Topic: Chain Drive rear spool  (Read 17019 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Chain Drive rear spool
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 09:34:01 PM »
I'm eager to see what the custom front sprocket costs.  Just earlier today I was thinking fook the chaincase.  I'll throw in the bike engine I want and just go with a spool type setup.  If I stick with the stock chain, ground clearance will be close with a less than desired gear ratio.  If I went to a double single chain setup I could get a better ratio and gain ground clearance.
This post has been edited due to content.

avendlerdp

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »
Lookey there!  You are correct. :police:  Sorry to take your idea.

You are right to FOOk the chaincase.  I think it's easier and cheaper to go with moto chains in open air.

Hopefully I'll have this setup running soon and publish the results after a test day or two.

I'll let Rick tell you how much the sprockets cost.

Rick S.

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 09:45:16 PM »
I'm thinking around 100 for the front.
If I were also doing the rears I'd lower that price.
What motor are you thinking about using.
I'm only able to do this design, because we both have the same 13 spline countershafts on our Honda motors. I waterjet the splines and can use my RC51's shaft for prototyping the fitment. Other splines would be difficult for me since I need a physical spline to check my fits.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:54:20 PM by Rick S. »

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »
Would appreciate it. ;)  Chaincase seems like a good idea for certain situations.  But I like to shift, I hate two-smokes, and my travel will be good enough without a super narrow center section.  I think I can get the width and travel I want with up to a 10" wide spool.  I had my girlfriend measure the width of the sprocket and brake disc on my bike and it was only 8", so I should be good and a lot cheaper if I can get the bike engine shoehorned in.
Don't worry about "taking" my idea.  I posted it cuz I thought it was outside the box thinking and I share hoping that others will too.  If I was at all concerned about it, I would have kept it to myself.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 09:54:36 PM »
How you doing it rick?  cut it out as one wide sprocket and then machine out the center?

Rick S.

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 10:18:53 PM »

Rick S.

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 10:30:10 PM »
Here's another thought to narrow up the set up.
If I stagered the teeth (So the outer teeth line up with inner tooth spaces.) it could get a little narrower. Right now we have the chains in line (pin to pin)
It wouldn't save much, but it might be enough to make one of the WJ's thinner.

artie on edge

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 10:52:13 PM »
My buggy gets put on the back burner alot. I did buy an oil cooler for it today and I'm ordering a fuel cell filler neck tomorrow.

Rick I truly hear what you are saying. Why is it that stuff which is important to us is so UNIMPORTANT to others?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 11:33:36 PM »
Here's another thought to narrow up the set up.
If I stagered the teeth (So the outer teeth line up with inner tooth spaces.) it could get a little narrower. Right now we have the chains in line (pin to pin)
It wouldn't save much, but it might be enough to make one of the WJ's thinner.

Just thinking out loud here. If you try to get them closer together by off setting the links and the chains get a litlle slack and start a wierd vibration/osilation thing they might hit each other? Might not but?   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 11:39:52 PM »
I agree with Nutz, keep them lined up.  I forget the name for chain motion as each tooth is loaded and unloaded on and off the sprockets, but the point is it has a slightly jerky motion, which would be better in unison IMO than offset.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 06:14:38 AM »
Just thinking out loud here. If you try to get them closer together by off setting the links and the chains get a litlle slack and start a wierd vibration/osilation thing they might hit each other? Might not but?   
Due to the chordal action of how a roller chain engages the sprocket teeth they need to be in alignment.Offset is not a good idea.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 06:57:16 AM »
YOSHI-SAN,
hows that smaller rear setup coming ?  Can I pm you an email address to get some spy photos of it ? Sounds great and I'm super interested. There are some great kits in DTS but you got my attention because of the smaller size.   Hope to hear somethin soon.     ::) ::) ::)

8)
I might post some pics today or tomorrow of the mockup.  My machinist finished up all my new wheel bearing carrier stubs and I had him build 5 center carrier stubs which are shorter.  He's suppose to start doing the splines today, then i can get them heat treated.  I did have him build me a dummy flange for the opposite side (which is basically the part, only the id of it was made bigger to fit over the unsplined stub) and I got 4 of my plasma cut plates in.

I built the main center section here, got the plates all lined up and it works really well, it also has some cool things going on with the brake assembly, and how to tighten the carrier up.  The flange to flange distance ended up being 6-1/4" apart, so it is very narrow, and I designed it to have an adapter ring on the sprocket side that bolts up to the flange so I will be able to make different offset rings to move the sprocket over some, or it can be replaced with an adapter ring to hold 2 sprockets side by side....

I made a couple adjustments to the mount plate design, and sent them over to the plasma cutter to get new ones cut.  I'm hoping to have them in the next day or so so I can show how I will be attaching the sides.....

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:01:23 AM by Yoshi »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 03:13:49 PM »
Sounds really nice.Post the pics soon.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Rick S.

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 05:43:57 PM »
Here are the 428 blanks. I'll post more pics of these when complete.
I need to face one side down on each and c'sink some holes.
The 1/2" ring spacer will be used as is.
The small washer has the prototyped spline to be checked against the RC51's spline shaft.
I'll tweak the dxf if needed and run the small sprockets next.

plkracer

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 05:49:04 PM »
That would be awesome if someone could start making these for many different engines...  ;) It would help solve a lot of GC issues too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal