Author Topic: Chain Drive rear spool  (Read 17016 times)

lockedup

Chain Drive rear spool
« on: February 16, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »
Hey, I just acquired a 1980 cb750 and am going to be making a rhino sized buggy with it, my question is is what is a cheap way to make a spool? Im going to be using U joint rear drive shafts.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Chain Drive rear spool
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 12:30:30 PM »
Best way IMO is to call Yoshi and buy his but it's not cheap.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 03:02:05 PM »
Or you could contact Doug Heim, He has some stuff thats a bit cheaper and probably more of the weight range your looking for. Oh wait thats me. Ill post pics of what I have. Im currently working on a uni shaft drive rearend for a customer. I prevfer CVs but Ill make what ever a customer wants to pay for.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 04:36:14 PM »
Best way IMO is to call Yoshi and buy his but it's not cheap.
working on a new design right now, but it won't be available for 3 or so weeks.  Setup for cv's, 6" from flange to flange, lightweight, includes rotor, caliper, and brackets that weld to the frame.  The carrier will bolt into the brackets and pivot to tighten the chain.  I'm also running 3k pound timken tapered bearings, the same I run in my wheel bearing carriers. Prob. gonna be in the $850 range with everything mentioned, maybe even include a sprocket for that price if I can keep the build cost down...

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 05:37:11 PM »
Well that actually does not sound all too bad Yoshi! Will you be posting pics of this unit?

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:52:23 PM »
Well that actually does not sound all too bad Yoshi! Will you be posting pics of this unit?
Yeah, we're building them now, i've already got 5 orders and others interested.  I've also started working on a design for a tube frame to mount it to a busa motor for people that are interested, along with some other desired parts I can't disclose just yet.......

Bug

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 07:51:01 PM »
YOSHI-SAN,
hows that smaller rear setup coming ?  Can I pm you an email address to get some spy photos of it ? Sounds great and I'm super interested. There are some great kits in DTS but you got my attention because of the smaller size.   Hope to hear somethin soon.     ::) ::) ::)

8)

avendlerdp

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »
Here is the super low budget way to do it.

Go to the junkyard and pull the diff out of a front wheel drive car you think will have CV's that are strong. 

Take diff and mount it in a home made contraption like this using off the shelf pillow block bearings:

Plug in the half shafts from the car and go.  You can take the knuckles and hubs off the car too.

This is not a method that will rival the nice custom fabbed parts made by the people on this board.  It's just cheap and possible with simple tools.

Rick S.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 08:48:15 PM »
OK, maybe this should be moved somewhere else, but it goes along with avendlerdp's above post. I'm getting ready to make the dual 428 sprockets for the drive above. After emailing back and fourth for about a week we have it all worked out and the sprockets will be cut tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. The custom 15T dual sprocket will be case hardened and fit the 13 spline countershaft on all newer Honda motors. (above 600cc I believe) With 2 Krause chains rated at 12K lb. ea. this should be a really tough set up. The dual rear sprockets are 52T One mounts to the diff. The other sprocket is mounted to the first with a spacer ring sandwiched between the two.
I'll post up pictures as soon as I get started. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:53:16 PM by Rick S. »

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 08:52:40 PM »
Hey that double chain thing is a good idea...where'd ya get it?
This post has been edited due to content.

Rick S.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 08:55:30 PM »
It's not my idea. I just do what I'm paid to do. ;D
The front sprocket is what I think is really sweet.
Because it fits the standard countershafts.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:00:06 PM by Rick S. »

avendlerdp

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 09:07:10 PM »
I contacted Rick to make those custom sprockets for the twin chain setup and he is doing a great job helping figure out how to get it to work.

The unique part of it is not that there are two chains, but that they are the smaller 428 size.  Using smaller the chains is better for setups where the front and rear sprockets are too close together to get a good chain length.  My car can only has a 55 link 530 chain.  Too short, overheats, wears out fast.  With a 428 chain I will get nearly 75 links with the same center to center and gain 2" of ground clearance.

If you have a short chained car, you are going to want to talk to Rick and get this arrangement.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:18:09 PM by avendlerdp »

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 09:15:26 PM »
Damn Rick. How do you find all the time? I thought you were building a buggy too?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 09:30:15 PM »
The unique part of it is not that there are two chains, but that they are the smaller 428 size.    With a 428 chain I will get nearly 75 links with the same center to center and gain 2" of ground clearance.

That's why I was looking at it.

chaincase parts.  I think I'm gonna do a double single setup with size 40/41 chain.  Here is what I've got drawn so far. 1.75" flange to flange,  could be narrowed a little but I thought I'd leave at least a little clearance. ;D
With two chains I can run a smaller size chain which means smaller OD sprocket with the same gear ratio. Plus two chains = higher total tensile strength and in theory longer chain and sprocket life because load is spread over more surface area.

60t #530 pitch dia. = 11.95"
60t #40 pitch dia. = 9.56"
60t #35 pitch dia. = 7.17"

I am trying to get as much reduction in one step as possible without building a huge unit.
This post has been edited due to content.

Rick S.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 09:33:34 PM »
My buggy gets put on the back burner alot. I did buy an oil cooler for it today and I'm ordering a fuel cell filler neck tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal