Author Topic: 5 link rear end  (Read 42137 times)

Offline BDKW1

Re: 5 link rear end
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 03:20:48 PM »

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 03:21:40 PM »
My version of a 5 link that I might get back to in a couple of months  ::)

How long are those axles?

I have the same hubs/CV's sitting next to my desk, waiting for a buggy to be built around them.  ;D  Thanks for the inspiration!

Did you somehow calculate or measure the point that the CV rotates on in order to design the suspension to keep the plunge down?

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 03:26:57 PM »
How long are those axles?

I have the same hubs/CV's sitting next to my desk, waiting for a buggy to be built around them.  ;D  Thanks for the inspiration!

Did you somehow calculate or measure the point that the CV rotates on in order to design the suspension to keep the plunge down?

They are 28". I kind of treated it like front suspension as far as camber curves. I put the lowers at the CV pivot point to get them up and out of harms way while still providing a little protection for the axle. The upper link is set up for camber gain and scrub radius. I'm not sure how important scrub radius is on the rear with no steering, but it sounded good. Also the camber gain allowed Me to get rid of some lateral contact patch scrub. It did however get Me a little axle plunge. It's all a trade off somewhere.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 03:40:33 PM »

They are 28". I kind of treated it like front suspension as far as camber curves. I put the lowers at the CV pivot point to get them up and out of harms way while still providing a little protection for the axle. The upper link is set up for camber gain and scrub radius. I'm not sure how important scrub radius is on the rear with no steering, but it sounded good. Also the camber gain allowed Me to get rid of some lateral contact patch scrub. It did however get Me a little axle plunge. It's all a trade off somewhere.

Yah, all a tradeoff, but your picture makes me wonder if you put the lower links vertically at the same position as the axle, you could eliminate all plunge with whatever chamber curve you wanted.  Of course you would have to locate the pivots on the frame and on the wheel carrier right at the pivot point of the CV.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 03:44:28 PM »
Possible, but is it really worth the time to get rid of .125 of axle plunge?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 06:35:52 PM »
another idea
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »
here's how did my 6 link but you could do something similar for a 5 link. the first pics are of my v-6 rail and the last is of a 4 link I used to build on my mini's but the bearing carrier is 4 or 5 link.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 08:31:38 PM »
another idea

You didn't have a CNC when you built all that?  You must have opened your wallet.  ;D

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 08:46:51 PM »
You didn't have a CNC when you built all that?  You must have opened your wallet.  ;D
I did it on a bridgeport without DRO. All I had at the time. I used long travel dial indicators to measure coordinates.  Poor boys have poor ways my man! LOL!!! I did that about 5 years ago.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 09:17:10 PM »
I did it on a bridgeport without DRO. All I had at the time. I used long travel dial indicators to measure coordinates.  Poor boys have poor ways my man! LOL!!! I did that about 5 years ago.

When I first got into machining all the bridgports did not have any DROs on them (and still dont). All old school and I learned alot. Probably why I take alot of pride in my precision. Used the dials for everything. Only indicator we had was a 1" and never used it for cordnates. All dials and calculating backlash. Man the good ol days. I feel spoiled with the CNCs at work!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 09:20:59 PM »
I know what you mean but my bridgeport was not consistant in wear and just figuring backlash wouldn't do .I couldn't afford to get DRO on it so I went with some enco cheapo dials to git 'er done!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 09:25:11 PM »
this company took very good care of their machins. I know what you mean too!

I now do work for my past employer as well. they like what I do and I was there for 5 years so know what they expect. Great relationship.

Jet

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 03:30:30 AM »
Massive thanks guys! lots of thought here.

Artie, you are correct. i am well into the next frame design.

as my current race buggy does, the next one will see all kinds of abuse, so i really want something nicee and strong, but light. Something like what fabr posted but double shear

Thanks guys!

Phil

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 05:49:39 AM »
What I posted was crude and experimental at the time. Adding double shear would be nice and allow smaller/lighter heims. What I posted used 3/4" heims and gave no problems at all with the single shear tho.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trojan

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 02:52:10 PM »

Artie, you are correct. i am well into the next frame design.

AWESOME Jet!!!!

Supercool. 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal