Author Topic: Questions on Razor Tires  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Questions on Razor Tires
« on: July 11, 2010, 07:53:36 AM »
So I currently have smoothie tires.  I do not have cutting brakes.  Started to wonder about handling. 

I value - really really value - handling - turning.  So with the smoothies, I figure there is going to be a fair amount of push.  A simple solution would be razor tires.  I currently have 15 - 8.5 so these would likewise be 15 - 8.5. 

Anybody have any thoughts on this idea?  Also, if I do get them, would I mount them with the sharp angle out for better forward bite?  That is the vertical wall of the ridge to the outside vs. the beveled wall to the outside... More side bite vs. less side bite...

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PC&Product_Code=SV850DD
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:00:43 AM by Yummi »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SPEC

Re: Questions on Razor Tires
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 08:50:15 AM »
Always with the sharp out...If you look on the sidewall they are a directional tire...If you run them the other way it's kinda like turning your paddles backwards ;D
I had a set of razor's never had them in the sand but they worked pretty well on snow :P

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 09:53:55 AM »
Yah like Spec said the sharp (vertical) side goes OUT only. This forces it to cut into the sand for traction.

But worse is if you put them on the other way that ridge on the inside tire will feed a nice line of sand right into the face of whoever its pointing at at a particular angle! 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 10:00:04 AM »
+1+1+1
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 11:29:52 AM »
Have any of you gone from smooth to razor?  Which was more betterest?  (My English teacher hates me now)

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 01:39:24 PM »
Have any of you gone from smooth to razor?  Which was more betterest?  (My English teacher hates me now)

I run that same tie Yummi.  The razor backs are far better for turning.  The smoothies would push to much.  It will make it much better if you have power steering with that size of tire too.  You mite get a small wobble at speed with out power steering.  I only notice it at hi speed on deep soft sand. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »
           I run that same tie Yummi.  The razor backs are far better for turning.  The smoothies would push to much. It will make it much better if you have power steering with that size of tire too.  You mite get a small wobble at speed with out power steering.  I only notice it at hi speed on deep soft sand.

Check.  Have the PS.  Was hoping for AC too, but that was out of the budget.  Not even auto door locks....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 02:01:30 PM by Yummi »

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 08:47:55 PM »
Ordered them up - 57 #'s for shipping weight on the pair  - wonder what that charge will be?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal