Author Topic: 2F/1R rollover tendency > Solution?  (Read 19866 times)

LiveWire

Re: 2F/1R rollover tendency > Solution?
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2010, 11:40:08 AM »
Driving off one output shaft of a FWD transaxle will not work. It will make it turn bad and in different ways when turning left or right. Since that trans is what you have, I have a suggestion for making what you have work. I have an old Dodge transaxle. It is not the same one, but probably similar. On the left side, there is an oval cover. Underneath it are two gears. If you can modify the forward gear or bolt an extra stub shaft to is as well as modify the cover with a bearing and seal, you could drive off that. It is before final gear reduction so you will have to gear appropriately, but you already had to deal with gearing issues. The positive part is that it is before the diff. So the rear tire will be turning faster than the inner front and slower than the outer front in a turn. The rear will still be trying to turn too fast in a turn, the same as any locked 4x4 on pavement, but it will be better than if driving off one front. You might (big theory on my part here) be able to reduce that by setting the front suspension with a very high roll center, higher than the COG. The unit would lean into corners like being on a bike. The rear tire's contact patch should push to the outside of the turn better matching it's speed to the fronts. Putting the rear tire farther out on the turn will help keep it from rolling too. It would also make it easier for the rider to lean and put the weight farther to the inside. That is assuming it is a sit on, not in, machine.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:29:28 PM by LiveWire »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2010, 02:00:27 PM »
I think he wants to sit in it.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

LiveWire

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »
It could still be set up to lean into corners for the benefit of the rear tire. I guess it should also have a reverse camber curve or no camber curve at all.

JimmieD

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2010, 08:16:05 AM »

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."  ~Mark Twain

Thanks, OdyPilots! Yes, that's sort of how I look at life. I fight to be practical at the same time. It's my deep belief that only dreamer's dreams come true...

Computer crashed, couldn't get back. I did a poor explanation in original 1st post because I was half awake. Yes, I was picturing the outrigger wheels mounted on swing arms with springs, very similar to the stock Omni real axle setup and what you describe. They would be mounted as high as possible, only contacting if the thing lifted up enough to roll, otherwise tucked up out of the way & almost invisible behind bodywork. Thinking of a wheel/tire size like those weird little spare tires for cars, you know? That kind of size should lessen the spinout thing. It may be entirely impractical and of course that's why I threw it out here.

I'll take a close look at the front drive differential, LiveWire, might be something I could do. But some Omni have a two piece axle on one side, others don't. The two piece has a Cardan midway. Thinking to set it up on one side similar to stock 2 piece axle, but use a carrier bearing just before where first Cardan would be, with carrier bearing solid to frame. Can't likely use a stock front axle, but have a splined shaft made up for this 1st piece, then inserted into outer axle. The rest of the axle with double Cardan can operate the same as the other side that has a 1 piece axle.

I would then have that stub shaft [axle] coming out of diff and use that for PTO drive, to chain drive to rear, with limited slip between that stub shaft drive and rear wheel. Limited slip diff for right/left front wheel drive. Rear drive selectable, only for use at lower speeds offroad most likely, or in loose sand or serious snow, otherwise free wheeling rear.

Well see how it all turns out.

Thanks, guys! 

LiveWire

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »
The ones with the mid shaft are the turbo ones. It is to reduce torque steer. Most late model FWD cars have some sort of setup like that to have equal lengths shafts. Driving off that will cause a very bad handling and bad steering vehicle. It may steer OK to the right than the left since the right front tire will have less weight on it and will be able to slide since it will be rotating faster than it needs to be.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal