Author Topic: first step of new build  (Read 58008 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: first step of new build
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2014, 02:34:59 PM »
Depends on what you call bulky. Lay that jeffrco down akongside an 091 and you will be amazed at how similar in size they really are. The weight is practically the same.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2014, 08:45:08 AM »
came across this in the hayabusa forum.....anyone ever heard of this?

What about using toluene? It's even referenced above on this same thread. I've used for years in my truck and Vmax. It used to be cheap, it's now $15 a gallon around here. You can get it at Sherwin-Williams and other paint/industrial supply stores. I know it can be used to raise the octane level of gasoline. It's even the main ingredient in many fuel system cleaners and used as an industrial cleaning solvent.

In the link below they talk about using it in turbocharged Formula 1 engines and other octane hungry engines.

Another product that I know many mechanics swear by is BG 44K fuel system cleaner, but it's not cheap, about $20 for an eleven once can and may be hard to find.

This site has a bunch of info on toluene as an octane booster:

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

""Q: How did you discover using toluene?

A: Someone came across a web page that described various DIY home brew octane booster formulas. One of which used toluene as its main ingredient. As a Formula 1 racing fan of many years, I recalled that toluene was used extensively in the turbo era in the 1980s by all the Formula 1 teams. The 1.5 liter turbocharged engines ran as much as 5 bars of boost (73 psi) in qualifying and 4 bars (59 psi) in the actual race. Power output exceeded 1500bhp, which translates into 1000bhp/liter, an astronomical figure.""

Oh and as noted on that site, "don't drink even a little of it"
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2014, 11:38:55 AM »
Toluene is in a lot of crap, from glue to gas.

You want some real fun, pick up some propylene oxide.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2014, 06:33:48 PM »
for the busa guys

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/electrical-mods/161358-gen1-busa-gear-position-indicator.htmlWon't work with a TRE though. Cool as hell however.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:15:18 AM by fabr »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #184 on: September 27, 2014, 06:56:02 PM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »
came across this in the hayabusa forum.....anyone ever heard of this?

What about using toluene? It's even referenced above on this same thread. I've used for years in my truck and Vmax. It used to be cheap, it's now $15 a gallon around here. You can get it at Sherwin-Williams and other paint/industrial supply stores. I know it can be used to raise the octane level of gasoline. It's even the main ingredient in many fuel system cleaners and used as an industrial cleaning solvent.

In the link below they talk about using it in turbocharged Formula 1 engines and other octane hungry engines.

Another product that I know many mechanics swear by is BG 44K fuel system cleaner, but it's not cheap, about $20 for an eleven once can and may be hard to find.

This site has a bunch of info on toluene as an octane booster:

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

""Q: How did you discover using toluene?

A: Someone came across a web page that described various DIY home brew octane booster formulas. One of which used toluene as its main ingredient. As a Formula 1 racing fan of many years, I recalled that toluene was used extensively in the turbo era in the 1980s by all the Formula 1 teams. The 1.5 liter turbocharged engines ran as much as 5 bars of boost (73 psi) in qualifying and 4 bars (59 psi) in the actual race. Power output exceeded 1500bhp, which translates into 1000bhp/liter, an astronomical figure.""

Oh and as noted on that site, "don't drink even a little of it"
Before the ready availability of quality,consistent race gas, toluene was a common additive for all the racers. A buddy worked @ the Sinclair refinery in Tulsa. He would bring drums of the stuff home to make his own brew.This was in the mid 70's. The issue is that it is very hard for the common person to know just what the brew's octane really was. He could because he took his brew to the refinery lab and did a knock test on it. I don't feel it wise to screw around with concocting your own brew without a buddy to run a knock test for you.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2014, 07:28:58 AM »
I know differ dyno results can differ from dyno to dyno a bit but here is something interesting to read in this post with the two dyno sheets comparing an super charger to turbo on the busa.

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/super-chargers/102135-supercharger-vs-turbo-2.html

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
From those charts it would be a no brainer what to use. But,and there is always a but,it depends on the setup. In general the sc will be instant and linear boost. A turbo will need to spool up. Turbo lag can be almost non existent if set up right.I never feel any lag at all.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #189 on: December 07, 2014, 10:15:01 PM »
i was looking for a couple of old pics of the v6 rail and ran across the pics at the bottom of this post and the page after.......yep still funny  rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

http://www.dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=2617.285

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2014, 03:50:01 PM »
nope not at the moment just thought for a light weight rail those stock wheel bearings and carriers would be a nice option for someone. i think they are 5 on 4.5 bolt patterns.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2014, 07:33:25 PM »
Standard ,off the shelf,components would be nice for sure if they are of needed design.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #193 on: February 15, 2015, 09:17:17 AM »
well i figured it would just be easiest to pull my motor since i have to pull the oil pan to install a return line for the turbo. i decided to wait last night to make sure the turbo manifold doesn't warp beyond use while being welded so i then decided to check all the timing marks on the cam and timing chain again one last time since i will have to pull the head anyway to have stronger valve springs installed for the turbo as well. now i check these timing marks 2 years ago because my motor has never felt like it has ever had full tq or hp. it is hard to sight the crank marks through that little hole on the side while in my chassis but the cam marks are easy. if i line of the crank mark with a mirror and then check the cam gears as the manual says the cam marks are off a touch but don't look to be off that much when using the head body as a reference mark as the suzuki manual says. now i went past a bit on the crank so i spun it through one more time and decided to line up the camp marks first this time........when done this way the crank mark is roughly 1 spline off!!!!  i read in a post on psyco bike forums one guy telling everyone that one could advance or retard timing on a busa by setting the crank cam gear off by 1 spline, not sure why anyone would do this on a stock n/a app but i know how people can mis read things. i will tear the rest of the side down till i can see the timing marks on that crank and crank cam gear to be sure but i just can't see this timing chain stretching that far but who really knows lol while i have it that far apart i am going to install a new chain but that does explain imo why this motor has always felt like it has had a boat anchor dragging behind it or as i have said , feels like the timing just never comes in at rpm!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
ok i was doing a search for how to measure chain stretch on my timing chain and came across this post on gd.com...... fabr i see you tried to educate them and were ignored lol well i agree a double row chain means more heat imo and the only chance this guy had in the first place was to move the box back and align it properly which tom pro failed to do i guess and after having seen enemy's alternator from tom pro i can see where the lack of detail and craftsmanship comes from at tom pro!!   

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=252873#entry4153012

just got a laugh from the post is all. spraying a little lube on the chain before every morning helps too but in the end it's still a chain and is still going to stretch, hell mine is almost done at the end of 3 seasons and that's n/a!  however it is still my opinion that your rev 091 box is the way to go.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:46:20 AM by Dsrace »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal