Author Topic: Genny won't start  (Read 8971 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Genny won't start
« on: August 15, 2015, 09:07:02 PM »
Ok here's the deal. drowning

6500 onan no start.  Will turn over but no start.  pulled the plugs and they are dry but getting lots of fuel at the small filter just in front of the carb.  Before I dole into it with the jumper wires like the instruction say what say the masses.  Is there a safety that will not let fuel into the cyl's if there is no spark at the plugs?  Pump has plenty of pressure and I just had it running about three weeks ago.  Checked the oil and it is full.  Put Staybal in the fuel tank right after getting back from Yuma last February. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Genny won't start
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 09:26:55 PM »
if it's the one with the control board that lights up and flashes when it has issues like the old obd I computers then there is an electronic fuel shut off valve with a 2 wire connector that could be your problem. with the cover off you should be able to see it try unplugging it and try and start it.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 12:31:10 AM »
Is there fuel in the float bowl? If not it is likely the fuel shutoff solenoid.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 05:47:24 AM »
if it's the one with the control board that lights up and flashes when it has issues like the old obd I computers then there is an electronic fuel shut off valve with a 2 wire connector that could be your problem. with the cover off you should be able to see it try unplugging it and try and start it.

Don't think It is that kind.  It is older then that.  Remember my trailer is ancient, 1993 WW.  I think the gen was a upgrade from the factory though.   

Is there fuel in the float bowl? If not it is likely the fuel shutoff solenoid.

I'll check this morning if there is actually fuel in the bowl.  I did squirt fuel into the carb while cranking and that did not do any good.  although the plugs still looked dry after I had done that?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:50:11 AM by fastcorvairs »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 06:23:11 AM »
Will it run on startling fluid? If it does, that should show it's a fuel issue.

The mechanics at my Cummins engine shop love how much money they make fixing these. The yard has as many RVs and trailers in it as in does Semi trucks.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 07:00:39 AM »
spark?  There's an oil pressure cut off for the spark...  by pass it.

These folks are fantastic.  They will help you troubleshoot it.  Call'em!   http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/generator-parts-onan-c-14_104.html
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:38:47 PM by Lance-W »

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 07:01:27 AM »
Will it run on startling fluid? If it does, that should show it's a fuel issue.

The mechanics at my Cummins engine shop love how much money they make fixing these. The yard has as many RVs and trailers in it as in does Semi trucks.

Haven't used any starting fluid yet.  Kind of a last resort for me,  Don't want to be blowing the head off anything right now.  That is encluding me.  :o

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:05:04 AM »
From the other thread, it looks like you have spark. Something is stopping the fuel? Low oil switch, clogged carb?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 07:12:56 AM »
take a pic of the carb and the start switch on the genny itself and post it. it's really nothing more than a lawn mower engine and i have worked on two of the newer one with control boards and they are the same just with electronics that make the mechanics more money lol  those gennies have a lot of issues on the forums

the older on might have a vacuum diaphragm hooked to the carb with an arm that may control fuel delivery but if you have sprayed carb cleaner down the carb as you said then prob not the fuel more like what lance said the low oil switch. if i am correct the motor has to spin over at a certain rpm before that vacuum diaphragm opens the fuel bowl but don't know for sure.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 07:16:11 AM by Dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 08:18:46 AM »
after putting Sta-bil in the fuel tank ,did you run it long enough to get it to the carb bowl?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 12:13:22 PM »
don't know about yours fast but the one i recently worked on was easy to get the carb off

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 12:20:27 PM »
All onans are easy carb removal that I have worked on including the fooking one in the toter I had off this morning. Went on a checkout drive last night and the damn thing kept dying. Pulled the plugs,looked fine but replaced anyway. Pulled the non-rebuildable carb off. Tore it down but there's not much to do with them..Sprayed the crap out of the passages ,blew all out,reassembled. Running like a top for 2 hours now. Hope it's fixed.  First time I've had any trouble from it but it is 21 years old and has a lot of hours on it. Think I'll upgrade to a newer,fully enclosed onan on return from trip.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 12:48:46 PM »
don't know about yours fast but the one i recently worked on was easy to get the carb off

Bull hockey on easy LMAO. looks like the unit has to come out to get the carb off.  Did some checking this morning. found the instructions online and they gave me some pointers.  first was like Lance said check the low oil or oil pressure switch.  It checked out ok and Faber I do have fuel in the bowl there is not a fuel shut off valve on this engine.  No magneto kill ether.   Still no spark to the plugs.   Instructions detailed to put 12V to the ignition coil and turn the motor over to see if it would get spark. Nope still no spark to the grounded plug.  Leaning towards the coil being bad now.  Pulled it off and in looking on line for the coil found out this Onan is a 1992 that was use quite a bit in the John Deer 318 and 420 lawn tractors.  The only factory coil I have found so far is a used one.  Onan number is 166-0761 by and outfit in Japan called Denso.  Found one on E-bay but it is one that is a replacement.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 01:22:02 PM »
Your carb isn't right in front when looking at it? All I have seen are. Is your genny buried with no front area access?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 01:25:40 PM »
No matter though since it does sound like a dead coil.

Have you checked it for continuity between the +/- terminals? There should be. If so,how many ohms?

If the case is metallic is there continuity from either +/- terminal to the coil case ? There should not be.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal