Author Topic: I want it i need it.....its time  (Read 24759 times)

Online DeepBusch69

Re: I want it i need it.....its time
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2023, 08:39:38 AM »
How is your engine mounted? If it is mounted such as front solid mount and back of block mounted solid you do not want a 3rd(front/center/rear) solid mount. You never want 3 solid mounting points .  I have a solid single mount at the front/center of engine and a back of engine/mid plate. I put a standard rubber transmission mount at the back.

Never heard this before fabr.  Mine is hard mounted at all 3 spots, no issues so far.  I do not have a removable rear cage, it is all solid.   Is the idea to allow for some flex in the frame? 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2023, 10:59:03 AM »
Almost all frames flex/twist,some more than others. With more than 2 solid mounting points the tendency to break frame rails/mounts or even bell housings is possible. The idea is not to allow some flex so much as accommodating it without breaking something.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2023, 12:19:12 PM »
Megasand flange width is 9 1/8". 2" wider then the hv24.

While visiting Chris and Mark at the Jackson compound, I noticed their 800 and 1100 hp rails had flexible trans mounts. Don't remember if they were rubber or poly. I asked Chris about his and he said Justin at revenge racing said the trans needed to be flex mounted. I thought maybe it was vibration dampening.  I never thought anything about it and this megasand is the only trans I rigid mounted it front and rear. The v6 had a lower front solid mount ( factory location ) i had a bolt on solid mount to the top ears of the 091 trans and a solid mount at the lower nose cone. Never had any issues and it was a 6 link rear. I wonder if an a arm rear adds to deformation/flex ? Chris and marks are trailing arm cars but the tq still adds a flex moment.

So let me ask this.....is there only and up/down moment on the trans from the r&p and the twisting /trying to roll over moment on the engine? Lost of vibration through my chassis from my engine and that has never bothered me.   I could leave the engine solid mounted and see if a stock type 1 rubber bellowing mount would work on the tail of this one. They look similar in spacing but would have to get one to know for sure.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2023, 12:22:50 PM »
How is your engine mounted? If it is mounted such as front solid mount and back of block mounted solid you do not want a 3rd(front/center/rear) solid mount. You never want 3 solid mounting points .  I have a solid single mount at the front/center of engine and a back of engine/mid plate. I put a standard rubber transmission mount at the back.

Never heard this before fabr.  Mine is hard mounted at all 3 spots, no issues so far.  I do not have a removable rear cage, it is all solid.   Is the idea to allow for some flex in the frame?

Is your trans mounted front and rear and only one mount on the motor? Or is the motor mounted in two spots and the trans in 1 spot?  Can you post a pic or two?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2023, 12:25:19 PM »
Fabr, which standard trans mount are you using on the trans? Got a link?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2023, 01:00:01 PM »
Was playing around with some tape. Custome cover will no longer fit due to frame extension for new trans. So if I have to have it altered then I thought hmmmm I've liked the look of the new funcos

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2023, 01:20:34 PM »
Mine is mounted at 2 locations on the transaxle, 1 on the engine. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2023, 01:47:18 PM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2023, 02:01:01 PM »
Unless the engine and/or trans is designed to be a structural member there should not be 3 or more solid mounting points to the frame. This is to allow the frame to move ,as it will,without putting the stresses into the engine block or trans. Most tube frames leave a lot to be desired when it comes to structural rigidity. That is not to say there are not lots of cars out there with 3 or more solid mounts that get away it without issue but it is not  good practice. You have seen how much things deflect as evidenced by the bent mounts.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2023, 02:05:32 PM »
Was playing around with some tape. Custome cover will no longer fit due to frame extension for new trans. So if I have to have it altered then I thought hmmmm I've liked the look of the new funcos

Ummmmm,nope.  It's your car though.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2023, 02:40:27 PM »
Mine is mounted at 2 locations on the transaxle, 1 on the engine.

Thanks for the pic. I like it!

I'm going to pull that megasand out and put a straight edge across that bottom mount, to be sure.  It looks straight/flat and is 1" thick section.

I like the idea of solid mounted trans and a flex mount on the motor for vibration. The rear hv24 mounts are .75" thick but the fronts are only .38" thick. I'm sure it strong quality cast aluminum but the motor is iron.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2023, 02:46:37 PM »

Ummmmm,nope.  It's your car though.

:m :m

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2023, 06:10:42 PM »
Couldn't wait, had to see, can't seem to push hard enough to make it fit  ;D :m

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2023, 08:51:40 PM »
Well feel a bit foolish. That meagasand trans base mount looks flat but is not. There is a hump in the middle.

Looks like a new clutch too.

And the hv24 has a larger input shaft.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2023, 08:53:51 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal