Author Topic: interesting  (Read 2289 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
interesting
« on: August 10, 2013, 05:53:21 PM »
found this statement on a tow site. can anyone confirm this?

"random fact- every 1,000ft above sea level you climb you lose 3% of your horse power with a naturally aspirated (non forced air induction) ie at 10,000ft you would lose 30% of your horse power..."
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: interesting
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 09:36:46 PM »
found this statement on a tow site. can anyone confirm this?

"random fact- every 1,000ft above sea level you climb you lose 3% of your horse power with a naturally aspirated (non forced air induction) ie at 10,000ft you would lose 30% of your horse power..."

Yes.  True statment. Air get lighter the higher you go.  That's why at 5k feet you run rich. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 10:24:03 PM »
I would think with MAS and FAM equiped computer controlled engines, they can compinsate some. I have pulled thu Vail Co, over 10k high, wnd didn't notice much.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:15:54 AM »
I would think with MAS and FAM equiped computer controlled engines, they can compinsate some. I have pulled thu Vail Co, over 10k high, wnd didn't notice much.

I think what the original OP is saying is if this was a normally aspirated non computer car would do. Most all of the newer computer controlled cars this would not effect.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 07:46:40 AM »
I think what the original OP is saying is if this was a normally aspirated non computer car would do. Most all of the newer computer controlled cars this would not effect.

Oh, I thought he meant non-turbo/blower.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 08:36:43 AM »
EFI cars will altitude compensate by pulling fuel to maintain a good AFR as elevation increases.  Old carbed cars cannot do that. You will however lose some HP due to loss of volumetric effeciency at higher altitudes even with EFI.If the thing can't take as deep a breath at altitude as at sea level it can't produce same hp as at sea level. Boosted engines will see very little hp difference at altitude unless the turbo or supercharger is undersized so much it can't maintain same boost at altitude as sea level..
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 08:47:36 AM »
EFI cars will altitude compensate by pulling fuel to maintain a good AFR as elevation increases.  Old carbed cars cannot do that. You will however lose some HP due to loss of volumetric effeciency at higher altitudes even with EFI.If the thing can't take as deep a breath at altitude as at sea level it can't produce same hp as at sea level. Boosted engines will see very little hp difference at altitude unless the turbo or supercharger is undersized so much it can't maintain same boost at altitude as sea level..

You say it so much nicer than I, and I forget to proof read my posts.  ;D

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:09:57 AM »
I ride motorcycles in Colorado a lot. You really notice the difference on a bike. At 12K' it feels like you have half the power you do at sea level. One of the few times I have wished for EFI on a bike. And maybe a turbo. One of the reasons I am contemplating a turbo for the Wing. Not so much for performance, but to keep sea level performance when it's over 2 miles high........

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 10:51:18 AM »
I ride motorcycles in Colorado a lot. You really notice the difference on a bike. At 12K' it feels like you have half the power you do at sea level. One of the few times I have wished for EFI on a bike. And maybe a turbo. One of the reasons I am contemplating a turbo for the Wing. Not so much for performance, but to keep sea level performance when it's over 2 miles high........

I was talking to a friend that dirt bikes in CO and he said that the new FI dirt bikes do not compensate and you have to change the programing to make them run right up there.  I can understand that dirt bikes wouldn't have all the sensors to compensate but it makes me wonder if all the new FI street machines and duals sports would compensate?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 10:54:14 AM »
What make bike is he running?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal