Author Topic: Major Change  (Read 13411 times)

boltz

Major Change
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »
Ok.... After the Joyner was stolen for the second time I decided to get rid of it. Part because I got tired of going and getting it from thieves and second because everything was gonna have to be gutted to end up with what I wanted in the end. So with that we are now the proud owners of a VW Bug.

boltz

Re: Major Change
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 09:56:13 AM »
Progress so far. I had initially decided to get all the lights rewired and working and get it street legal and drive it back and forth to work while coming up with tools and parts to start the project. However upon further inspection of the floor pans found large holes and a ton of rotten metal. So off with the body. Motor was running rough so i pulled it and took it to a friend of mine. After reattaching the rocker arms the motor runs like a top. I have since reinstalled the motor and am waiting on new floor pans to arrive to start the rebuild of the floor.

boltz

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 10:05:14 AM »
Next is to decide on drive train before i get to far into planning the cage. I have a 383 stroker that i would like to use for this. I have done a bunch of reading on the stock trans and i do not believe it will hold up to the torque the stroker makes. while researching trans i lookied into 6 ribs and into vanagon transmission alternitaves and man there is a massive amount of people on both sides of the fence as to if either of those will handle the torque and horse power of the 383. I have looked at Mendeola's and they are out of my price range. What do you guys think? Will a setup such as a 091, 002 handle the 383 or should i start saving for something like a Mendeola?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:14:13 AM »
An 091/094(vanagon) with all Weddle internals will hold up. Reverse is iffy at best. with an 091 .The 094 reverse is MUCH stronger. A fully built 091 will run $5K plus or minus a bit. All other VW trans will not last.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

boltz

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:31:43 AM »
Well that is cheaper than a Mendeola...lol

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:35:44 AM »
The mendi's use the same gear stacks as the vw's.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

boltz

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 10:42:29 AM »
Hmm. That's interesting to know. What about Porsche trans? Like the G50? They are for higher horse power. Maybe I should consider doing something like a 2.5 Subaru with a turbo. Not as heavy and less torque. What's your thoughts?

boltz

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 10:44:48 AM »
I also hear the service on a mendi is pricey and recommended like every 5k.

boltz

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 10:50:32 AM »
Any leads on where I could look for a used built 094 if they exist? I know where I can get a stock 094. Are they a bear to tear into? Trans work is new to me. So not sure about building one myself.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 10:55:31 AM »
Next is to decide on drive train before i get to far into planning the cage. I have a 383 stroker that i would like to use for this. I have done a bunch of reading on the stock trans and i do not believe it will hold up to the torque the stroker makes. while researching trans i lookied into 6 ribs and into vanagon transmission alternitaves and man there is a massive amount of people on both sides of the fence as to if either of those will handle the torque and horse power of the 383. I have looked at Mendeola's and they are out of my price range. What do you guys think? Will a setup such as a 091, 002 handle the 383 or should i start saving for something like a Mendeola?
Nice to see a fresh project! I would not run a 383 stoker on any stock style VW even after you spend about $5k to build it. The 094 is the strongest stock style but even that will be short lived with that motor. I would even hesitate with a Mendola 2D if that motor is built.
 But the used market is rather soft and you could pick up a used Mendeola 2D for around $5k and you could use that. But you are talking about major power on a stock pan too. I hope you plan on doing some major upgrades.
I hate to be a heart breaker but if you can not afford a Mendeola right now you will not be able to afford the axles, hubs, cv's, shocks, and all the other components associated with running a healthy V8.
I would recommend if you are on a budget that you look at a 4 or 6 cylinder motor.
What do you plan on using the bug for? Dunes, dirt, street?
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

boltz

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 11:25:49 AM »
Plan on running it on a little bit of everything. Motor is built. Let me rephrase. A 13k trans is not out of my reach. Just not practical for a while. Pan will not remain stock. Just gonna refresh it for now so the car can be made mobile again. I'm figuring I'll have around 1800 to 2500 a month to build with. I have to start over with tools and a building. After a lengthy fight through a divorce I threw my hands up and walked away with my truck and the clothes on my back. So it's taken a bit to get back to work and buy another house etc..etc..  So maybe selling the 383 and going Subaru is a better idea. I think with the 383 I'd be fixing stuff all of the time. Momma always said "Better to have less a$$ and more pants than more a$$ and not enough pants". So maybe less motor and a stronger trans and axles will yield less issues down the road. Oh and good to hear from you guys. Thanks for the input.

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 11:30:50 AM »
Cool project.  What year is the bug?  I see it has the older flat windshield and swing axle.  Like others have said, the 383 could be a problem with most VW trannies.  I fully built 091 would work with a smaller motor, subi, ecotec, etc, if you don't shock load it (jumps, whoops at high speed, dump the clutch to wheelie, etc).  A good place to find a used 091 already built is glamisdunes.com or race desert. 

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »
Plan on running it on a little bit of everything. Motor is built. Let me rephrase. A 13k trans is not out of my reach. Just not practical for a while. Pan will not remain stock. Just gonna refresh it for now so the car can be made mobile again. I'm figuring I'll have around 1800 to 2500 a month to build with. I have to start over with tools and a building. After a lengthy fight through a divorce I threw my hands up and walked away with my truck and the clothes on my back. So it's taken a bit to get back to work and buy another house etc..etc..  So maybe selling the 383 and going Subaru is a better idea. I think with the 383 I'd be fixing stuff all of the time. Momma always said "Better to have less a$$ and more pants than more a$$ and not enough pants". So maybe less motor and a stronger trans and axles will yield less issues down the road. Oh and good to hear from you guys. Thanks for the input.

This is very true.  I have always oversized the tranny to the engine.  Much more fun and less breakage. 

boltz

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 11:42:33 AM »
It is a 1970. I don't know a bunch about them. I know it has a motor out of a 74. Was file injected that was converted to carb. I think swing axle means it has tubes on both sides right? Mine has axles. Maybe someone changed it from original. I might have a good deal on a split window bug that I might pick up. Not sure yet. Really in the end all I am gonna use is the body off the bug. Like the idea of shutting the doors and staying out of the elements. Also the idea of street legal is cool. Thinking subi motor with an 094 would be an ok setup.

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 12:27:28 PM »
It is a 1970. I don't know a bunch about them. I know it has a motor out of a 74. Was file injected that was converted to carb. I think swing axle means it has tubes on both sides right? Mine has axles. Maybe someone changed it from original. I might have a good deal on a split window bug that I might pick up. Not sure yet. Really in the end all I am gonna use is the body off the bug. Like the idea of shutting the doors and staying out of the elements. Also the idea of street legal is cool. Thinking subi motor with an 094 would be an ok setup.

You are right, I looked too quick, it is an IRS tranny.   5:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal