Author Topic: In need of a computer geek  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

In need of a computer geek
« on: January 31, 2009, 03:13:23 PM »
I got a new (new to me) laptop from my girlfriend.  It had a bad power jack so after about 5hrs and $38 later It has a new one.  Now I want to format the hard drive and install windows 2000 professional cuz that is the system I prefer.  Right now it has windows xp and it was a factory install so I don't have the uninstall option.  No floppy drive, so a boot disk is out of the question.  I do believe my new CD is bootable, but since it is an older version, xp disables the setup feature.  Can anybody help?
This post has been edited due to content.

LiveWire

Re: In need of a computer geek
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 04:38:30 PM »
XP can't disable the boot up of the CDRom if that is what you mean. It would be disabled in the BIOS setup. When you first power up, it should say something, somewhere on the screen about getting in CMOS or BIOS setup. Often, you have to press DEL at that point. The key varies between manufacturer. Once you get into the BIOS setup, there is probably a place where it defines boot sequence. You need to move the CDRom up to a higher priority than the hard drive.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 05:04:24 PM »
i just recently had to erase the harddrives in our laptop and re install windows. i couldnt though because it doesnt have a floppy drive for the ssci/raid drivers so it can recognize the harddrive.  so i had to download "nlite" and it copies the windows install cd. then you can integrate the ssci raid driver into it and reburn it to a cd..  it worked flawlessly.. then you will have to find your ethernet driver so you can get online.. then download the remaining drivers for all your components you need. the hp website had me put in my serial number and it has a list of all the things i needed. to erase the harddrive..... you will need another computer such as a desktop that has sata connections on the motherboard. which all newer ones use, and even some computers with ide hard drives have sata connections on the motherboard.   you will need two cords. a sata cable and power cable. hook up to the desktop and power on the desktop. it will show up as another drive. right click and choose format. it will completely erase it. also!!!!  doing some searches on google will provide you with all the info on integrating the ssci/raid drivers using nlite.. and everything else i told you..   first picture is the power cable. second is the sata data cable.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 05:16:21 PM »
I got a new (new to me) laptop from my girlfriend.  It had a bad power jack so after about 5hrs and $38 later It has a new one.  Now I want to format the hard drive and install windows 2000 professional cuz that is the system I prefer.  Right now it has windows xp and it was a factory install so I don't have the uninstall option.  No floppy drive, so a boot disk is out of the question.  I do believe my new CD is bootable, but since it is an older version, xp disables the setup feature.  Can anybody help?

Why would you want to go to Windows 2000 from XP???  That is a pretty good downgrade?  What is there better about 2000?  Just Curious.

Ohh, and I know I am not helping.   :P ;D ;D ;D

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 05:24:14 PM »
thanks for the replies guys, but I have changed my plan.  I have three laptops and one desktop.  the desktop is xp. (I don't know why I thought it was 2k)  The newest laptop is xp.  I will prolly use the desktop and newest laptop the most so I think I will stay with xp and convert the older laptops if they'll run it.  The only things I use the older ones for is changing the maps in my car.  Now I just have to repair the Xp in my new laptop. Again thanks for the help.  If anybody needs an old laptop for messing with fuel maps maybe I can hook you up.  They ain't fast, but they still work.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 05:53:55 PM »
what are they and how much?

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 06:51:16 PM »
I need a cheap one to hold bend tec in the shop ;D
Trade ya some pickles 8)

plkracer

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:42:28 PM »
Want cheap? I got cheap. An old 266mhz intel, LOL. My dad used it up til last august when I put the 2.0 ghz comp in his office.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 01:53:14 AM »
i have a 2500$ 20 inch laptop.. but hell if why not have a cheapo..

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 05:50:52 PM »
What do you need to run bend tech spec?  System requirments?  CD or floppy drive?  I just looked both my old laptops up and neither one of them appear to be worth more than about $25.  So I might be better off keeping them....But if you really want one we could work something out.  I'm flexible and always hungry... ;D

Admin

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 06:05:49 PM »
What do you need to run bend tech spec?  System requirments?  CD or floppy drive?  I just looked both my old laptops up and neither one of them appear to be worth more than about $25.  So I might be better off keeping them....But if you really want one we could work something out.  I'm flexible and always hungry... ;D

shouldnt take much to run bend tech, the pro version may require more, they should have system requirements on there site...

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
what I found was 500mb ram 800+ mhz.  That's huge!  My autocad doesn't need that!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal