Author Topic: Winter mods: whatcha got?  (Read 14437 times)

Offline BrianN

Re: Winter mods: whatcha got?
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2022, 06:59:53 PM »
I just looked at the Eibach spring selection and they only have 18" up to 225lb. That is why they suggested (2) 16". Oh, and DS, I just happen to have a pair of 10" Fox shocks that match my front 12" shocks, but it is too late Now!!! Well, maybe with my next mod session.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2022, 07:13:23 PM »
I am glad you reminded me of the preload option. I just removed 50 lbs (for comparison) from the corner sprung weight and got 122 primary. That comes to 200/300 springs.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2022, 07:51:20 PM »
I just looked at the Eibach spring selection and they only have 18" up to 225lb. That is why they suggested (2) 16". Oh, and DS, I just happen to have a pair of 10" Fox shocks that match my front 12" shocks, but it is too late Now!!! Well, maybe with my next mod session.
What is the max dimension from the spring perch to the adjusting collar?  I would use a combination of springs that will allow the spring assembly to be just slightly loose when the adjuster is fully backed off or even screwed down up to around an inch. This is your zero preload point. If possible use a tender spring that is 2" (or maybe even shorter yet depending on where/when your crossover collar will hit) You want your crossover collar to come into play at around 50+- percent shock travel.

From what I see ,I would use a corner weight without concern of a passenger of 470 (540-1/2 of passenger of 70=470) and a 3.5" to ride height that will make a good starting point of 135 spring rate that would be a 340 main with a 225 tender.  After that the valving will be the most important thing you will do.If and only if the bottoming out cannot be avoided with the stiffest valving should a higher spring rate be done. You will be cussing the valving tuning but it must be done and a complete set of shims is best to have on hand. That is not cheap.It's also the only way to "get it right" without compromises.

I like these guys for springs  https://www.suspensionspring.com/coilover-springs/25-id-springs/16-springs-1.html
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2022, 08:03:39 PM »
I am glad you reminded me of the preload option. I just removed 50 lbs (for comparison) from the corner sprung weight and got 122 primary. That comes to 200/300 springs.
Don't discount the nitrogen charge either. It adds a significant preload to the equation at ride height .  As the shock extends it becomes insignificant but at ride height it will  raise the car ride height when charged.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BrianN

« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2022, 10:00:05 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions and info, y'all. I had to put my phone away tonight and do my taxes, so I will do more measuring tomorrow night.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 12:03:49 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BrianN

« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2022, 01:46:35 PM »
I would like to learn how to tune/rebuild shocks for myself, but I will have to do some serious homework first. I have started reading articles, etc. But, as usual, I tend to get confused!!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2022, 06:27:29 PM »
I would like to learn how to tune/rebuild shocks for myself, but I will have to do some serious homework first. I have started reading articles, etc. But, as usual, I tend to get confused!!
There's really nothing to it. 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2022, 10:59:19 AM »
rebuilding and revalving fox shocks is very easy to do. brianN you are more then easily capable of doing so yourself.

" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline BrianN

« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2022, 07:23:03 PM »
It is sitting on springs! Car only: 4" to ride height, zero preload, 13" ground clearance. So I have 7" of up travel to limit straps. Accutune didn't want me to put bump stops on the shafts because it damages the seals if used too much. So I will come up with something to use as bump stops. 200# primary and 300# secondary. I will probably end up adding preload. Valving will be another issue. Then on to front shocks.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2022, 09:19:29 AM »
looks like a great starting point. looking like its close to dune ready as well!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2022, 10:25:29 PM »
That's looking good Brian! I'm excited to see the fruits of your labor.
See you all duneside.😎🤙

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2022, 06:57:33 AM »

so in our group we have 3 brian's....
BE
BN
BS .... ;D best initials   :m

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2022, 10:46:05 AM »
B1/B2/B3
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BrianN

« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2022, 03:58:54 PM »
I am just waiting to get my truck back so I can leave. If all else fails, I will rent a truck to pull the trailer. When will you be at the dunes?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal